🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Delving Into the Archives

Barliman Butterbur

Worthy Keeper/Bree Roué
Reaction score
I have been rooting around in the Ancient Archives (ca. 2003-07 or so). What a strange thing! Is is as if the past is all alive again, complete with people long gone, who once again argue as intensely and convincingly as if they were "alive and standing right in front of us," complete with vivid gestures and expressions. Amazing... :*(

Barley

Halasían

Dunedain Ranger
Reaction score
.... and this morning.... I was doing the same thing and thinking the same thing.
How are you Barliman? Hoping you are still around in this world.

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
Just an FYI if you find a thread you want to be brought out of the archives, you can send the link to me and I can resurrect it :).

Olorgando

Reaction score
Erm … how old does the last previous post in a thread have to be for my "reviving" it to qualify as a necropost? ;)
(Not that I would hesitate to indulge in this "despicable" habit if I found something in a thread that made chucking in my two cents irresistible to me. 😁 )

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
I think the oldest things I exhumed from their graves were around two years dead.

But what the heck -- as Erestor said, if you stumble over an ancient tombstone that interests you, pound away!

129013279153799996.jpg

Olorgando

Reaction score
Oh I did, I did, earlier (or yesterday by CEDST clocks). Might qualify as something from this site's Cambrian Period. In the HoMe section.
OT, but do you (perhaps unintentionally) imply by your above post that the Canidae prefer to use products by that company from Redmond, Washington (State)?
And come to think of it, ancient as stuff may be that I've reactivated, I have so far stayed away from the archives (at least I think I have).

Olorgando

Reaction score
Um - in one of the vacations that my wife and I spent in some part of Spain, I offered a piece of meat from the hamburger or cheeseburger I was eating (in a local restaurant, not one of the usual multinational suspects) to a local cat. It never touched it, and you may know how cats are able to express disdain. Well, maybe that's just European (or Spanish) cats.

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
Erm … how old does the last previous post in a thread have to be for my "reviving" it to qualify as a necropost? ;)
(Not that I would hesitate to indulge in this "despicable" habit if I found something in a thread that made chucking in my two cents irresistible to me. 😁 )
If you find one in the actual archive section, you most likely won't have permissions to reply to it. You could then pm me the link to the post and I can move it to an appropriate section to perform necromancy *woooooh spooky 😱*

Olorgando

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread in the main sections counts as CPR while doing so from Archives requires Necromancy ;)
Ah, yes ...
So
1) by that definition we know who the official Necromancer of the site is, ;)
but
2) my impression (possibly faulty) is that S-eS coined the term Necro-(something), and he seems to take a far more restrictive view of the term. 😒

I've gone through some archives superficially, and can say that quite a bit of stuff there is younger than a two-post thread (about HoMe, specifically "Lays") that I resuscitated recently. So I'll take my real-world knowledge about what kind of stuff gets archived and why to assume that archiving has served to get some forums etc. unclogged (shelf space cleared).
I would imagine it does not help the site as a whole, as the stuff is (seems to be) still there, but at a different there. But the bar to further posting at least keeps it dormant.

Gothmog

Lord of Balrogs
Staff member
Reaction score
There are various reasons why a thread might be archived but basically clearing shelf space is it's function while still keeping the threads available for review and revival if wanted. Far better than deleting many good threads that are worth reading and might be needed in the future :)

Halasían

Dunedain Ranger
Reaction score
Hmm... was Gandalf wrong to go rummaging through the buried scrolls and parchments in the depths of the Library of Minas Tirith searching for the writingsd of Isildur? (It was one great scene in the PJ movies) ... I think not.

I was a member of a site where everything over one year old automatically locked. That was no fun. Instead of revisiting discussions, you got several threads of discussion of the same thing.

Anyway, I should go rummaging through the actual archives here so I can give Erestor something to do... ;)

Thread suggestions