🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Departing of Grey Company from Riders of Rohan...

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
...Aragorn rode to the Dike and watched till the king's men were far down the Coomb. Then he turned to Halbarad.
'There fo three that I love, and the smallest not the least,'...
Which three? Merry went with the Riders of Rohan. But what about the other two that he loves? All the Dunedain went with him....

:confused: :confused:

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
Legolas and Gimli went with Aragorn.

I originally thought it might be Theoden and Eomer, but, IIRC Aragorn didn't know Eomer and Theoden before their little attack...

Do you think that he would say he loved them after knowing them for only a few days?

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
You get to both know and love someone after being in life threatening situations. Aragorn fought with Eomer on the Burg and who knows all of what happened in the midst of battle at Helm's Deep. Undoubtedly, Aragorn would have developed years worth of friendship compressed to hours.

The same for Theoden King. He was trapped in the tower with Theoden and rode out with him expecting death. The affinity developed in battle can't be rendered to words. I am certain that Aragorn was referring to Theoden, Eomer and Merry. :)

Greenwood

The Guild of Ost-in-Edhil
Reaction score
Originally posted by Grond
You get to both know and love someone after being in life threatening situations. Aragorn fought with Eomer on the Burg and who knows all of what happened in the midst of battle at Helm's Deep. Undoubtedly, Aragorn would have developed years worth of friendship compressed to hours.

The same for Theoden King. He was trapped in the tower with Theoden and rode out with him expecting death. The affinity developed in battle can't be rendered to words. I am certain that Aragorn was referring to Theoden, Eomer and Merry.
Grond

You are correct. I have never been in a combat situation myself (thank goodness), but I have read enough first person accounts to know that soldiers all describe the phenomenon you describe. It is certainly not surprising. It is hard to imagine anything forming a closer bond between people than facing death together and literally owing your life to another. The only possibilities for who Aragorn is referring to are Merry, Eomer and Theoden unless Tolkien neglected to tell us of some other incidents at Helm's Deep.

Inderjit S

Bootylicious
Reaction score
Yes, it was a reference to Merry, Théoden and Éomer. They were becoming fast friends. Aragorn also knew Théoden before when he was undertaking his travels around Middle-Earth, just before he went to Gondor as Thorongil. How well he knew him I do not know. He also knew Éomer's father Éomund, it may be that he served him for a while when he was captian of the East-Mark, or maybe he served Théoden too.

It may be that Théoden had forgotten about Aragorn, due to his illness.

Flame of Udûn

Durin's Bane
Reaction score
Originally posted by Beorn
Do you think that he would say he loved them after knowing them for only a few days?
Aragorn would have known Théoden as his time as Thorongil, serving Thengel. They probably would have ridden together.

Thread suggestions