🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Did they become immortal in the West?

Greenwood

The Guild of Ost-in-Edhil
Reaction score
There is at least one thread on this somewhere already, but the short answer is no. They are allowed to rest and heal for a while with the Valar, but they do eventually die there when they are ready.

Niniel

Random Quoter
Reaction score
I'm sorry for you, but I read it as well (don't remember where). Frodo and Bilbo do not become Elves, so they are still going to die.
I do have another question connected with this: Arwen 'gives' Frodo leave to go to the West in her place (when Frodo leaves Minas Tirith), but Sam (nor Bilbo and Gimli for that matter) doesn't get any such permission and still goes to the Sea. What then is the point of Arwen giving this to Frodo, if apparently it is possible to go there without permission?

Sherri

Reaction score
I think that she does but she doesn't tell him directly. didn't Frodo say something about how it isn't time for Sam to go yet but he will one day? Maybe he just told him that he could go then.

Merry

Has chubby cheeks
Reaction score
No, the gift of immortality was never offered again. I think they benefited from prolonged life but that is all!

What a beautiful place to die in though!!

Greenwood

The Guild of Ost-in-Edhil
Reaction score
I do have another question connected with this: Arwen 'gives' Frodo leave to go to the West in her place (when Frodo leaves Minas Tirith), but Sam (nor Bilbo and Gimli for that matter) doesn't get any such permission and still goes to the Sea. What then is the point of Arwen giving this to Frodo, if apparently it is possible to go there without permission?
In one of his letters, Tolkien says that Bilbo is being taken by Gandalf so Gandalf will be able to speak for him when they arrive in the West. I would presume that Gandalf would also then be able to intercede on Sam's behave (as Sam wa a Ringbearer) when Sam arrives and similarly for Gimli as a member of the Fellowship when Gimli arrives.

Wood Elf

Reaction score
Yeah, I wondered that too, how could Gimli and Sam and Bilbo go? Frodo is obvious. Well, maybe I can answer my own question! Sam, Bilbo, and Frodo all bore the Ring for a certain amount of time, (Sam had the shortest time) maybe that is why those three could go over, because they all bore the Ring. But why would Gimli be allowed to go over? Maybe because Legolas invited him, and pleaded with the Valar? Hmm, Merry and Pip didn't pass over, and they didn't posess the Ring for any amount of time, but neither did Gimli, and he was allowed to go. Hmm, Dwarf stow-away?

Ståle

Reaction score
Gimlis friendship with Legolas(and Galadriel, to a lesser degree) was probably the deciding reasons. But also remember at the time Legolas and Gimli went over the sea, Aragorn had just passed away(whereas Merry and Pippin parked their slippers about 80 years earlier). Most probably Gimli went because he didn't want to die in Middle-Earth alone.

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by Ståle
Gimlis friendship with Legolas(and Galadriel, to a lesser degree) was probably the deciding reasons. But also remember at the time Legolas and Gimli went over the sea, Aragorn had just passed away(whereas Merry and Pippin parked their slippers about 80 years earlier). Most probably Gimli went because he didn't want to die in Middle-Earth alone.

Yes that is right. Gimli was aloud to go for his love to the lady Galadriel.

Hama

Scholar and Adventurer
Reaction score
However, Valinor is the undying land, which is why it was banned for any of the Numenoreans to go there, remember. I think that the Valar give Bilbo, Frodo and Sam leave to enter as they are ring-bearers, and Gimli because of his favor with Galadriel (look at the appendix B of LotR). However, as it is the undying land, and only one individual has died a 'natural death' there: Feanor's mother, Miriel, I believe that they live eternally, although I do not think they are numbered among the elves.

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
Here's a theory. The Numenorean Kings in a way, gave up their life when they believed that they were ready to die, so, perhaps Frodo and company could choose when they wanted to die i.e. living to 600, 700?

Thread suggestions