🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Did Tolkien Ever Draw an Ent or Huron?

1stvermont

Reaction score
I was just wondering if he ever drew a picture or sketch of how he visualized the ents.

Elthir

Reaction score
I don't recall Tolkien ever drawing an Ent.

I vaguely recall a response from JRRT about drawing an Ent -- I think it was in response to a request from the then Princess of Denmark. I can almost recall the wording, but since I can't know it would be exact, I won't try. Basically JRRT answered that when moving, Ents were very difficult to catch, and when standing still, look just like trees. I wish I could find the actual quote, but I think it ends with -just like trees- (when standing). I know I put it on line somewhere. It hails from a television special (certainly not in Letters), and I remember listening to it a number of times to get the exact wording down on paper.

But that was years ago.

And that said, I think we must allow for brevity here, as it seems (to me) to be clear from the texts, that Ents -- considering those Ents that are in the same "mode" (not really the word I want here) as Treebeard, as opposed to Ents who have grown more tree-ish, for example -- do not simply look just like trees.

In any event, that's just a quote I half-recall; and I'd rely more on the descriptions in The Two Towers compared to a letter.

Last edited:

Squint-eyed Southerner

Pawing through the trash behind the Pony
Reaction score
I know of no drawing or painting by him, unfortunately.

Here's another question: Tolkien Gateway states flatly that ents are "14 feet tall". I assume this comes from TT, which describes Treebeard as "at least fourteen foot high". However, individual ents resembled the trees they shepherded, so wouldn't they also likely vary in height?

Last edited:

Elthir

Reaction score
I would say so SeS. My interpretation of the book descriptions is that the "fir-related" Ents were the tallest. Also, in The Road to Isengard we meet herdsman: "As tall as trolls they were, twelve feet or more in height; their strong bodies, stout as young trees . . ."

While Ents are no doubt "giants", we are well short of the heights of full grown oaks, pine, beech however.

Last edited:

Elthir

Reaction score
🍁 Heheh.

Actually I just checked the "fir" related quote, and it says (parenthetically) that the Ents reminding of the fir were the tallest Ents.

In other words, I'm not sure how else I could have "interpreted" this ;)

1stvermont

Reaction score
I don't recall Tolkien ever drawing an Ent.

I vaguely recall a response from JRRT about drawing an Ent -- I think it was in response to a request from the then Princess of Denmark. I can almost recall the wording, but since I can't know it would be exact, I won't try. Basically JRRT answered that when moving, Ents were very difficult to catch, and when standing still, look just like trees. I wish I could find the actual quote, but I think it ends with -just like trees- (when standing). I know I put it on line somewhere. It hails from a television special (certainly not in Letters), and I remember listening to it a number of times to get the exact wording down on paper.

But that was years ago.

And that said, I think we must allow for brevity here, as it seems (to me) to be clear from the texts, that Ents -- considering those Ents that are in the same "mode" (not really the word I want here) as Treebeard, as opposed to Ents who have grown more tree-ish, for example -- do not simply look just like trees.

In any event, that's just a quote I half-recall; and I'd rely more on the descriptions in The Two Towers compared to a letter.

Great stuff i am assuming it is in the letters of Tolkien. I might try and di throw it. Thanks.

1stvermont

Reaction score
I know of no drawing or painting by him, unfortunately.

Here's another question: Tolkien Gateway states flatly that ents are "14 feet tall". I assume this comes from TT, which describes Treebeard as "at least fourteen foot high". However, individual ents resembled the trees they shepherded, so wouldn't they also likely vary in height?

Yes indeed. I think maybe average they are 14 foot but some [I think it was ents not hurons] were said to be 12 but that they all varied a great deal.

Elthir

Reaction score
Great stuff i am assuming it is in the letters of Tolkien. I might try and di throw it. Thanks.
It's not in Letters though. You must have missed this part: "I know I put it on line somewhere. It hails from a television special (certainly not in Letters), and I remember listening to it a number of times to get the exact wording down on paper."

I was nearly certain that it was in the show with Judi Dench. I checked on Youtube and found a part concerning the Queen of Denmark, but it wasn't there . . . unless it's in another part of the same show? I didn't watch the whole thing over.

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
Ted Nasmith is an amazing artist. His images have always been close to what I imagined when reading the books. There are a lot of images of The Two Towers on this page with Ents in them.

1stvermont

Reaction score
It's not in Letters though. You must have missed this part: "I know I put it on line somewhere. It hails from a television special (certainly not in Letters), and I remember listening to it a number of times to get the exact wording down on paper."

I was nearly certain that it was in the show with Judi Dench. I checked on Youtube and found a part concerning the Queen of Denmark, but it wasn't there . . . unless it's in another part of the same show? I didn't watch the whole thing over.
I see. Thanks.

Thread suggestions