🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Did you know...?

Tao

Shôgun
Reaction score
This is a place to post all of the strange Tolkien/LotR facts that you've found out over the ages. I'll start.

--Bilbo Bagginses (from LotR and The Hobbit) birthday is on the same day that President Abraham Lincoln gave the Emancipation Proclamation speech.

--In the '60s (before I was born) , The Beatles wished to do a Lord of the Rings movie. Paul McCartney would be Frodo the Ring-Bearer, Ringo Starr would play Sam, John Lennon would play Gandalf, and George Harrison would play Gollum. J.R.R Tolkien, however, had the rights to the movies, and he didn't think that it would be quite right for The Beatles to reinact it.

--[I'm sure you all probably know this] The Silmarillion was written before The Hobbit AND Lord of the Rings, but wasn't published until 4 years after J.R.R Tolkien passed away.

HLGStrider

All Knowing Magic Cat
Reaction score
A fab four fellowship... eh?

That could lead to some interesting discussions...

Here... Did you know that Sauron's character in the origenal Lay of Beren and Luthien was a large cat? And people think I'm crazy for my feline friends...

Hanne

Reaction score
Is it possible that he used the name of someone who was already dead?Stupid,but I don't remember which name it was.And it was NOT something like Aragorn I and Aragorn II !!!

R

Rohansangel

Just about the movie -- Frodo falls on his back 9 times throughout the movie!! Crazy!!

Also, in the movie, Ian Holm plays Bilbo. But in the BBC production some years before, he played Frodo!! He did a really good job, too, I was very impressed!

~The Angel of Rohan

Greenwood

The Guild of Ost-in-Edhil
Reaction score
Originally posted by Hanne
Is it possible that he used the name of someone who was already dead?Stupid,but I don't remember which name it was.And it was NOT something like Aragorn I and Aragorn II !!!
Are you thinking about Glorfindel who died while slaying a balrog in the First Age but his hanging around Rivendell in the Third Age?

HLGStrider

All Knowing Magic Cat
Reaction score
People are always doing things like this to me... sigh...

Well, I find it interesting that he was bit by a spider as a boy and never really liked the beasts because of that... Think it showed in his work?

Thread suggestions