The Tolkien Forum

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Do I have the setting right?

BlackCaptain

Vast Menace of Despair
Reaction score
I just need to sure I'm on the right page here... In BoLTI:

Eriol, a man, sails to Tol Eresea, then to Kor where all the tales are told, and where Lindo and Vairë live now... They welcome him and tell him all the stories of old and such? And Lindo and Vairë were once of Tol Eresea and came to Kor? And Kor is later renamed (By Tolkien) Tûna?

How bad was that? Heh

jallan

Reaction score
BlackCaptain said:
I just need to sure I'm on the right page here... In BoLTI:

Eriol, a man, sails to Tol Eresea, then to Kor where all the tales are told, and where Lindo and Vairë live now... They welcome him and tell him all the stories of old and such? And Lindo and Vairë were once of Tol Eresea and came to Kor? And Kor is later renamed (By Tolkien) Tûna?

How bad was that? Heh
The city to which Eriol comes is Kortirion within Tol Eressëa, not Kôr in Valinor. Kôr in Valinor is the city which Tolkien later renamed as Tiron upon Túna, not Koromas/Kortirion in Tol Eressëa

As Vairë explains to Eriol very early in chapter 1, after the expedition of the Elves to Middle-earth (which in the Tolkien’s later writings became the War of Wrath at the end of First Age):
... Ingil son of Inwë, seeing this place to be very fair, rested here and about him gathered most of the fairest and the wisest, most of the merriestand the kindest, of all the Eldar. ....
#&160;#&160;#&160;#&160;#&160;‘Then Ingil builded the great tower and called the town Koromas, or “the resting of the Exiles of Kôr”, but by reason of that tower is now mostly called Kortirion.’
In his later writings Tolkien changes Ingil son of Inwë to Ingwiel or Ingwion son of Ingwë, but in the new writings there would probably be no reason for Ingwiel/Ingwion to have settled in Tol Eressëa rather than returning to Valinor.

Rangerdave

He's Back!
Reaction score
Ever so slightly out of sync with reality
Tinuvien21 said:
Wow. :eek: Lots of names, and words in there.(We're not but humble pirates! ;) )
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your grandiloquence Tinuvien. ;)

I think you have it right Capt. So....
I think we've all arrived at a very special place... spiritually... ecumenically... grammatically.

But I may be mistaken
Drink up me 'earties. Yo ho.

RD

BlackCaptain

Vast Menace of Despair
Reaction score
And then Rumil, Vaire, Lindo... they were all Gnomes correct? Or are they the Solosimpi because Tol Eresea is where they all were in the first place...?:confused:

Tinuvien21

Reaction score
LOL. :D Why,Thank You, Jack!

You don't know what this is, do ya? Aztec Gold!
You better start believing in ghost stories, Miss Turner! You're in one!

Inderjit S

Bootylicious
Reaction score
B-C-Some are Gnomes (Ñoldor) and some Solisimpi (Teleri.) Tol Eressëa has a mixed population. Some 'Gnomes' from Gondolin (such as Legolas) were said to have gone to Tol Eressëa, and there were some Solisimpi there too.

BlackCaptain

Vast Menace of Despair
Reaction score
Ok... so the elves present at Aliminorë, though, are Noldoli correct? At least the main characters (Lindo, Vairë, Rumil)?

Thread suggestions