🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Do they exist female hobbits??

HLGStrider

All Knowing Magic Cat
Reaction score
There are lots of female hobbits. For instance,
Lolella Sackville-Baggins,
Rosie
Elanor
Bilbo's tookish Mama
Frodo's Mama who drowned.

Lots of not mentioned ones.

However, all of the Hobbits that played important parts (with the exception of Mrs. Sackville-Baggins and Rosie, who's part was minimal) were bacholars, some of them very young, so there was really no need to mention girls...

If you read the appendix most of the hobbits married when they got home... Only Frodo and Bilbo didn't in fact.

Gamil Zirak

The Ladies' Dwarve
Reaction score
Read the LoTR specifically RoTK and you'll find some female hobbits with hairy feet.

R

ReadWryt

...actually, MALE Hobbits don't exists either...it's a story.:p

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Well,most of the hobbits married and I don't think they'were gays......
Now,I'll be seriuos.In the book there're so many female hobbits and in the appendix you can see an enormous amount of strange female names of hobbits.Tolkien doesn't mention them because in his book there aren't many female charecters,only Arwen and Galadriel and Eowyn.

Prince Legolas

Armed and dangerous
Reaction score
Originally posted by ReadWryt
...actually, MALE Hobbits don't exists either...it's a story.:p
What, you mean the whole thing isn't true, that it never really happened? There's no such place as Middle Earth? You've ruined it all for me now!

Hey you're all forgetting Mrs Maggot and her little hobbit girls.

R

ReadWryt

Thank goodness...because if it was all about feeding them after midnight or getting them wet we would ALL be in trouble with their appetites and pension for riding in barrels and such!

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Hobbits, when born, are actually small flowers that resemble poppies, and as they pass their growth stage (during which they become what are known as 'Hobbits') they evolve into tiny little plants again, and egest millions of molecular spores from which the next 'Hobbit'-batch can be born. :rolleyes:
Denethor, you may have mistaken Hobits for Dwarves. There has been a small debate about female Dwarves (which was settled by the Letters and HoME, I believe), and their appearance. If you have read the Lord of the Rings, you might find that the earliest mention of a female Hobbit is on page 3 of "The Fellowship of the Ring", 'The Ring Sets out', Chapter One: 'A Long-Expected Party'; here is a quote:
"Drownded?" said several voices. They had heard this and other dark rumours before, of course; but Hobbits have a passion for family history, and they were ready to hear it again.
"Well, so they say," said the Gaffer. "You see: Mr. Drogo, he married poor Miss Primula Brandybuck..."

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
You mean the accuracy? Well I just looked it up in the LotR. I have just started re-reading the LotR again anyway, so it wasn't hard to find. I think a mention of a female Hobbit occurs on the same page, but this quote is the first metion of a name.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll make a great father. Muahahaa. :rolleyes:

PS: I just love the ':rolleyes:'-smiley!

Thread suggestions