🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Do you cry while reading LOTR?

Do you cry while reading LOTR?

• Yes

Votes: 55 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 55 50.0%

• Total voters

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
I don't actually cry, but sometimes, if there is an exhilerating scene, I might mutter "ooh, careful.." or "get him! get him!", while grabbing the chair arm real hard. :D
Crying is quite a powerful show of emotion, and I only cried while reading the LotR during my second read, when I actually got the whole story (@ age 9), and when I read the Sil (@ age 13).

Telchar

Someone out there?
Reaction score
Depends on the mood i'm in.. I'f I'm feeling a bit sad I may shed some tears. I have the tendency to get very involved in the story, and that can, as Ponti said, result in some comments.. :)

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
I have only 'cried' one time since I was whipped last :D (about 6 years ago) and that was watching the Green Mile.

I think certain stories in Silm are sadder than LotR in general.

Talierin

Still here... sometimes
Reaction score
Something about when I read the lines about the horns of Rohan ringing in the mountains always makes me start weeping. That and when Eomer sees the Corsairs of Umbar's black ships coming up the Anduin and thinks all hope is lost until the standard of Gondor is unfurled and he knows it's Aragorn.

Macarion

Reaction score
I won't deny it. I don't "cry", per sey, but tears do well up when Frodo, Bilbo, Gandalf and company depart, and Sam gets home.

--Macarion

Rosie Cotton

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever cried while reading LOTR, but Tolkien shouldn't take it to personally, I'm not that emotional a person. I don't think I've ever read a book that made me literally shed tears. Well up, yes, but not shed tears.

Tulkas

Reaction score
I don't cry when reading LOTR, but the end is kind of sad. And like Pontifex, I sometimes want to scream at charachers in the story.

Kementari

Lady Writer
Reaction score
The Field of Cormallon, Boromirs death, Gandalfs fall, The Houses of Healing [Merrys pack was there the whole time *weep*], Faramir and Eowyn, Sams choices, The very End of the book... I am such a wuss :D

Melian

Maia Queen
Reaction score
Excuse me?
Kill ssssweat dear Gollum?I think that however nasty he is,the guy deserves very much of our respect!If it wasn't for him,Frodo might become the new Dark Lord!

And about weeping over the story-why,don't you know Tolkien never leaves his dearest fellows in trouble.I mean,he is very fond of Frodo,while it's obvious he dislikes Feanor and all his posterity,and this sometimes is rather objective...Anyway,how did you ever expect Frodo to die in such a silly way?Come on,don't cry,take it easy.:)

Tar-Ancalime

Dark Queen of Mordor
Reaction score
I know the whole betrayl was necesasry for getting into mordor and all, but at the spur of that moment i despised him than it wore off.

Aerin

Halfway out the door
Reaction score
I have cried when reading LOTR, and the Hobbit. I haven't read the Silmarillion, so I don't know if I cry or not. ;) When Frodo leaves the Shire, I always want him to stay home and be safe. As my family can testify, I will get so wrapped up in The Lord of the Rings that I will start talking out loud. :eek: In Tolkien's works, I can almost disappear as I'm reading. Once, my mom was repeatedly calling me for dinner as I was reading ROTK, and I looked up and said, "Sauron?"... :rolleyes: :D

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
I've never cried whhliw reading a book...and the only movie I've cried for was The Green Mile...

C

Chippy

i almost hated the book...when i read the bit about Frodo putting the ring on at mount doom and claiming it for himself..i read 2 more chaptors to see if they were alright..and than stop reading it for about 2 days or maybe even a day...cause that is not how stories is supposed to end... but i don't think that anymore

LOTRF

Reaction score
I didn't cry per say I might have when they Frodo got captured. But I would get really mad and have to stop reading for a little bit in some parts. Other parts I would be so happy I would get up and yesssss or something liek that. I really get into the book.

Thread suggestions