🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Do you like Frodo?

What is your opinion of Frodo Baggins?

• I can't stand him, that rude, inconsiderate, weak, son-of-a-hobbit.

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I can't help disliking him.

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • He's okay/No opinion

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • I like him well enough.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • Frodo is a stupendous character! Easily one of my favorites!

Votes: 15 36.6%

• Total voters

Greymantle

Reaction score
The main character of LotR seems to be distincly unpopular on this Forum, much to my own disgust. Do you hate this guy... and why?

For myself, I don't hate him at all. I think he's one of the strongest, wisest, and most noble characters in the novel. I give him a "like" vote.

Last edited:

Kementari

Lady Writer
Reaction score
I like him. And for those of you who don't:
WHY don't YOU try bearing the one ring (don't forget that it was made by a maiar, and your only a misly hobbit) across middle earth, when there is absoulty NO HOPE of you living through it even if you succeed in the task. You wouldn't be cheerful either. *deep breath* Sorry

Tar-Steve

Reaction score
I can't figure that out either. On these boards Frodo seems to be suffering from the same lack of respect and understanding he recieved when he returned to The Shire.

I think Frodo's unwillingness to dump his burden upon anyone else is by far the most heroic act in The War of the Ring.

Mr. Underhill

Reaction score
I like him well enough, too. The poor chap carried a tremendous burden that many of the wise and powerful didn't want or could trust themselves to carry out.

Nimawae's hope

Born at a very early age
Reaction score
I too am greatly confused as to why so many people hate Frodo Baggins.:( When I read The Lord of The Rings, I understood why he behaved the way he did. The ring was trying to destroy him. How would we respond to such a heavy burden? Furthermore,as far as I could see, Frodo never had a nasty, grumpy attitude like some of us do when we get woke up too early in the mornings.
Please, anyone who dislikes Frodo, tell the rest of us why, so we don't have to wonder anymore. Maybe we can understand where you are coming from

Tyaronumen

Agent of the West
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tar-Steve
I can't figure that out either. On these boards Frodo seems to be suffering from the same lack of respect and understanding he recieved when he returned to The Shire.

I think Frodo's unwillingness to dump his burden upon anyone else is by far the most heroic act in The War of the Ring.
Precisely my thinking, Tar-Steve. I just finished reading "The Council of Elrond" again, and reading Frodo's words brought a lump to my throat...

"I will take the ring, though I do not know the way."

For the record, I put Frodo in the 'like' category.

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
I too like him, but more than I like him I respect him: Because of his sense for responsibility, his heroic attempt to bear the burden all alone - when he tries to fulfil the quest all on his own by leaving the fellowship at Nen Hithoel, when he carries on even when the ring gets almost unbearable for him. And I was outright shocked when at the very Crack of the Doom he declares: "The Ring is mine!"

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
I can't abide the little fellow. Always so pious and over-burdened with the worries of the world on his shoulders. I feel no pity for him or any hobbit for that matter.

Orin

Reaction score
Frodo

I like him. He's not a favorite of mine. Merry seemed the more "together" hobbit of the lot. Sam would have gotten my vote for the most "together" if it weren't for is subserviant loyalty to his "betters". That goes against my grain. But Sam was the hobbit I'd choose to have a beer with and throw darts. How did I digress to Sam, anyway? Oh well....

Merry

Has chubby cheeks
Reaction score
I like Frodo and I think he had amazing strength to get as far as he did, but I don't agree when people call him a hero. Sam almost single handedly (sp.) made sure he got to Mount Doom and it was Gollum that destroyed the ring. All credit to the little hobbit for his wisdom and determination but nothing else.

Grey and Kem, I don't dislike Frodo,in fact I respect him, but he just isn't the best is LOTR.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
I respect and am in awe of the little chap, but he's not very humane. His feelings are quite one-sided; he is either sad, thoughtful, determined or a strange wannabe-type 'powerful'. I realize, obviously, that he does bear the blight of Middle-earth, and that he was more realistic and cheerful before he found out his real mission. I suppose he's all right, but for one of the main characters I think he's too gloomy.

Evenstar

Reaction score
I like Frodo well enough, I mean I certintly don't hate him or anything. But he is not my favorite character. I remember reading the Hobbit and loveing Bilbo and Frodo wasn't as...charismatic?? I do respect him and all I certaintly wouldn't want the job he had, he just isn't my favorite..you know what I mean??

Tulidian

Reaction score
I like Frodo well enough, too. I agree with most people that he was only miserable because of the ring. Actually we dont get to see a lot of "true Frodo" because he has the ring in all the LotR books. The beginning of his journey was probably it, then he started being more grim and miserable.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
And I thought he was miserable at the very end of the book, although a lot less, obviously. That may be because wearing and carrying the Ring for so long had caused him to think more about the world and about..stuff. Yeah, perhaps he wasn't miserable, just thoughtful.
But this may be wrong, I haven't read the end in a long while.. :)

Tyaronumen

Agent of the West
Reaction score
Having just finished the FotR, I think that part of Frodo's problem was that he was just a little bit *too* insightful... He was, IMHO, at least partially infected with the terrible sadness that all of the elves were bearing as their time in Middle-Earth waned and came to a close. I think that this is part of why he seems so standoff-ish or uptight.

Greymantle

Reaction score
I agree that he is affected by the Elves' melancholy. That came, porbably, from spending so much time studying them and their languages, and becoming an Elf-friend.
But I don't see that as a bad quality... true, it makes him a much more serious character, but Frodo wan't put in for comic relief!

Last edited:

Rosie Cotton

Reaction score
I definately like Frodo a lot. I admire what he did, and I don't think that any other being, not even Sam, would have been able to accomplish what Frodo did.

celeste-jo

Reaction score
:cool:
I happen to like Frodo well enough, but I would not consider him my favorite in LOTR. But he has earned my respect and admiration for taking up the task as ringbearer, and handling things the way he did. I'd probably be gloomy and worried and all if I were in his place. Plus, that ring must have been heavy to wear through the journey too.

Thread suggestions