🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Doriath's size

Menelaus

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I'm really fascinated by the Ainur and their powers. I've been wondering how powerful Melian actually was that enabled her to put a spell of enchantment around an area as large as Doriath appears on the map of Middle Earth.

And this led me to my query: how large actually is Doriath? I don't think Tolkien's maps have scales at all, right?

I'm just wondering how many miles of forest Melian's enchantment covered.

Thanks for any help.

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome Menelaus! I'm not sure that Tolkien ever gave a number in miles or kilometers but if you look at a map of Beleriand, like the one below, it's a pretty nice sized kingdom but not huge:

Starflower

Almost here
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum! While there is no actual measurement available for Doriath, it would have been quite sizeable - it encompassed three forests - Nivrim, Neldoreth and Region, several rivers and at least two cities. Tolkien's maps are famously terribly inaccurate in scale and should be taken as guidelines only but it would certainly take several days to travel from one end of the land to the other. In modern-day LOTR comparison, I think it's probably similar in size to Arnor

Thread suggestions