🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

dwarf rings

christof

Reaction score
Could someone please clear something up for me?
Re-reading the book last night, I came across Gandalf talking to Frodo about the Rings in Bag-End. Gandalf tells Frodo that there were originally 7 Dwarf Rings, three of which Sauron has recovered, and four were eaten by Dragons. Gandalf says later on that if Sauron gains control of the One Ring he will control all the others - does this mean he will be able to recover the four that were eaten by Dragons - and if so, how?

Dhôn-Buri-Dhôn

Formerly Donnie B.
Reaction score
I always assumed it meant he would control the surviving rings: the Nine and the Three (and any of the Seven that might still be around).

IMHO, the ones melted by dragon fire are destroyed, just as the One was destroyed in the fires of Orodruin.

Aldanil

mad about mallorn
Reaction score
a moot point ere I put it up

The overlapping Edit's moments-later lament: Donnie B. popped on past me while I was still in the "spontaneous" throes of composing and proved in his faster posting's practice (much unlike my own method of discursive digression) both of my nearly discernible points, and thus outpaced the pedant's periphrastic and allusive palaver.

You may well have stumped the band with that one, christof. Almost as if the reference library of ring-lore had been entirely wrapped in enormous sheets of clear plastic, or the long road to solving the riddle of the poser you posted were deeply overshadowed by a line of gigantic brightly colored umbrellas...

(Hey there, Christo, what's an installation-artist, anyway?)

On another hand, our fearless Forum of Tolkien lovers, admirers, critics, improvers, logicians, explicators, and others overbrims with opinion; let Speculation begin!

I'd only contribute a minor linguistic comment: when Gandalf speaks of four of the Dwarven-rings as having been "consumed" he doesn't mean that Dragons ate them but rather that they were destroyed in dragon-fire.

Last edited:

Bucky

Reaction score
>>>much unlike my own method of discursive
digression) both of my discernible points, and thus outpaced the pedant's
periphrastic and allusive palaver}

Can anyone interperet that in English??????

Ståle

Reaction score
Sauron didn't need the One to control the surviving Seven. He already held them. (Cheap point, but I felt like making it clear.)

I doubt he'd get back all the Seven. They were melted for good. Like when the One got destroyed, its power was forever broken, and Sauron had no hope of ever returning.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Note: If you want to prove a point, use quotes; or you'll make this sound like D&D.. :D j/K

Anyway, Sauron must have had at least a few of the Dwarf-rings, because he promises Daín and his people (over at Erebor, btw) rings in return for his friendship and information about hobbits.

'Then about a year ago a messenger came to Daín, but not from Moria -- from Mordor: a horseman in the night, who called Daín to his gate. The Lord Sauron the Great, so he said, wished for our friendship. Rings he would give for it, such as he gave of old. And he asked urgently concerning hobbits, of what kind they were, and where they dwelt. "For he knows," said he, "that one of these was known to you on a time."

arisen pheonix

Devastation
Reaction score
no the rings (the 7) were destroyed in one way or another besides sauron had never been able to dominate the dwarves even when he had the one and they had their rings

Intended by Aule to endure the power of Melkor, Dwarves were short,stocky, strong, resistant to fire, and hardier than any other race. Unswerving and proud, Dwarves could not be dominated by evil and never forgot a wrong or a debt;
from Tolkiens World from A to Z, The Complete Guide to Middle-Earth

imladris

Reaction score
I think that he can only control the rings if someone wares it.
Or that he lets the rings being found by someone.
But that will be hard because i think no one knows where the dragons died.

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by Ståle
Sauron didn't need the One to control the surviving Seven. He already held them. (Cheap point, but I felt like making it clear.)

I doubt he'd get back all the Seven. They were melted for good. Like when the One got destroyed, its power was forever broken, and Sauron had no hope of ever returning.

That is right. They weren't eaten they were destroyed and thus never to be used again. The fire consumed them.

Thread suggestions