🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

dwarf tribes

pippin le qer

Reaction score
dwarve tribes

Does anybody know the names of the seven tribes of dwarves?
The only one mentioned in LOTR is the one of Durin called the Longbeards, but Tolkien actually gave the other six also names.
I discouvered it years ago browsing through one of those books edited by his son Christoffer and based on scrapes and notes of Tolkien. I didn't buy the book then and forgot it which one I've read it, buying them all for just this little piece of information is a little too much for the budget.
Pippin le Qer

JeffF.

Reaction score
The Seven Dwarf Houses

Those of the Ered Luin (most western) were the Firebeards and Broadbeams. The next most west were the Longbeards. The eastern dwarves were the Ironfists, Stiffbeards, Blacklocks and Stonefoots.

I think that Belegost and Nogrod could be construed as the homes of the Firebeards and Broadbeams since they were the major dwarf cities of the Ered Luin.

The information comes from The Peoples of Middle Earth (the only volume of Christopher Tolkein's 'History of.." series that I found useful enough to keep.

M

Mormegil

I seem to remember that Petty Dwarves were exiles from the great Dwarf cities to the East of Beleriand. Perhaps from Nogrod, Belegost or even Moria.

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by Tulkas
Of what tribe was Mim from? I think i remember them being called petty-dwarfs, but I think that is a nickname.

i think it was a knickname and that they wouldn't tell them their real names and that they were differnet 2 the tribes of Nogrod and Belegost and weren't they from Nargathron or as they call it Nulukkizdin? I think they were different with as not as much skill of hand and they don't live as long and also are a little smaller in stature.

7doubles

Silver Star Tobaco Co.
Reaction score
i think it was narog because of the nougalfring of thingol that was a magor grievence. pety refers to their small size.

Hama

Scholar and Adventurer
Reaction score
I am sure I read something about the origin of the petty dwarves in the Unfinished Tales, and just checked it up, more specifically in Narn I Hin Hurin. I could not find any reference to their origins, but am quite sure that Mim did not belong to any of the seven families. In fact, I think they were an older race who were almost completely exterminated with the exception of Mim and his two sons, by Dwarves, Men, Elves and the people of Morgoth.

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by Hama
I am sure I read something about the origin of the petty dwarves in the Unfinished Tales, and just checked it up, more specifically in Narn I Hin Hurin. I could not find any reference to their origins, but am quite sure that Mim did not belong to any of the seven families. In fact, I think they were an older race who were almost completely exterminated with the exception of Mim and his two sons, by Dwarves, Men, Elves and the people of Morgoth.
I think you are right.

Thread suggestions