🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Elfish Writing

B

Bimblmere

Can anyone help?....i am after elfish font for a project i am participating in. Any help the users can give would be great:D......thanks ppl

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
WARNING

Most elvish fonts I've seen are incorrect. They don't have any vowels! And they don't even follow any real mode (eg. of Beleriand, of Feanor, of the Black Speech); so whatever you write with them is probably incorrect. :)

goofoofighter

Reaction score
How many different elven languages are out there? I mean, I have one, but I don't know if it's the best one I could have... Which one is closest to JRR's elven? Great, now I'm confusing myself... Could someone please help? :confused:

The Silent Watcher and Magnificent Loser,
~goofoofighter~

BluestEye

Reaction score
Elvish Fonts

Pontifex talked about Elven fonts and not Elven languages. From all that I know, Tolkien was the only person who created the Elven Language, so there couldn't be "Elven Languages" that "are not closest to JRR's elven" because Tolkien himself invented them.
From your question I can assume that you don't know what Fonts are. Fonts are different series of Letters that you can use on your computer while running a text program, like Word2000 for example. "Times-New-Roman" and "Helvetica" are well known Fonts. Fonts can be added to one's computer so that when he write in a program he could choose between rich Fonts to do so. What Bimblmere wanted was to find a series of Fonts so that he could "write" in Elvish letters in his computer.
If you already know what Fonts are, don't be offended and just forget what I said :)

BluestEye

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Bloody well done!!

Excellent, Bluest. The number of people who get 'language' and 'alphabet/letter system' mixed..whoo!
Yes, the Tengwar can be used to write any language that doesn't have irregular letters (other than 'ä'). But the ones found on the net, I find, do not have vowels. The vowels in the Tengwar go above the forst, or second consonant, depending if your writing English or Quenya. Quenya is a language, Tengwar is a writing system.
On the net the letters are in the wrong places (like if you press the letter 's' on the keyboard you'll get a 'k' in the Tengwar on the screen). I realize that the Feanorian and Beleriand- modes are different from the common mode, but the letters are stil incorrect.

BluestEye

Reaction score
Pontifex

Isn't there any way we can "mess-up" with Fonts a little bit and fix the right typing of the keyboard to match the Tengwar writting system? I think it can be possible...

BluestEye

goofoofighter

Reaction score
Fonts and Languages

I understand what a font is, and I understand what a language is, it's just that I've never seen font used in that context before so it kinda threw me out-of-wack a bit. Thank you for the explanation anyway :)

Yes, there should be a way to change the programming of the font, but you'd have to ask my friend how to because I haven't been able to take a computer programming course yet...

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Yes, I know, it's the same one that is in "An Introduction to Elvish", and I learned to write the Tengwar from it. I thought you might have a similar table, which had the proper tengwa and tehta where it was supposed to be. It must be difficult to program a symbol to jump up above the next symbol written (as the tehtar are written). Or perhaps not, I dunno. :rolleyes:

BelDain

The Faithful
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pontifex
Yes, I know, it's the same one that is in "An Introduction to Elvish", and I learned to write the Tengwar from it. I thought you might have a similar table, which had the proper tengwa and tehta where it was supposed to be. It must be difficult to program a symbol to jump up above the next symbol written (as the tehtar are written). Or perhaps not, I dunno. :rolleyes:
What do you mean by "which had the proper tengwa and tehta where it was supposed to be."? The use of the tehta vary depending on which mode you use. Is that what you are asking? How to use the tehta in each of the various modes?

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
BelDain,
I mean that if you pressed the key for 'a' on your keyboard, a stem and three dots above it should appear. If you were to press the keys 'b', 'a' and 'r' (and you were writing in English) the tengwa 'b', the tengwa 'r' and three dots sbove the 'r' shuold appear.
I just meant that if you press 'a', 'a' would come. If you were to press 'f', 'f' would appear. That is not so with the Tengwar I have on my comp.

BelDain

The Faithful
Reaction score
Oh, you were talking about the specific computer fonts. I haven't played around with any yet. Sorry.

Originally posted by Pontifex
BelDain,
I mean that if you pressed the key for 'a' on your keyboard, a stem and three dots above it should appear. If you were to press the keys 'b', 'a' and 'r' (and you were writing in English) the tengwa 'b', the tengwa 'r' and three dots sbove the 'r' shuold appear.
I just meant that if you press 'a', 'a' would come. If you were to press 'f', 'f' would appear. That is not so with the Tengwar I have on my comp.

Thread suggestions