🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Elves at Helms Deep?

Todd1700

Reaction score
Read a quote from PJ that mentioned Helms Deep as being a battle of men and elves against Orcs. Ahh, someone refresh my memory here but I thought Legolas was the only elf at this battle. Has anyone heard anything about this?

S

Silver11/17

Do you mean to say that the entire Shire fight sequence at the end of RoTK has been cut??

Arwen

Reaction score
Im sure Legolas wont be the only elve there......Arwen and Elrond will pitch in too im sure.Oh yeah and that other character...Eowin or something like that, the one thats the same as Arwen...

R

ReadWryt

Wait...did I miss something? By that do you mean they will be portraying Eowyn of Rohan as an Elf??!? Bugger all...I must have missunderstood...

PRH

Reaction score
Do you mean to say that the entire Shire fight sequence at the end of RoTK has been cut??
That's my understanding. Phillippia Boyens (screenwriter) said something to the effect that even though that chapter in the book is so great, they just couldn't make it work in the film. After having the climax of the destruction of the ring, another little climax like that would be just too episodic or something. She may have a point. It's really too bad though, that chapter really brings the Hobbit's involvement full circle.

Asfaloth

Reaction score
"Arwen," your namesake is NOT the same as Eowyn except in that they're both female! Honestly, I'm beginning to wonder if you're a troll. ...as for TTT, I've seen a screen shot of Arwen at Helm's Deep, so prepare yourselves.

Moose

Reaction score
Say it ain't so...

>>>as for TTT, I've seen a screen shot of Arwen at Helm's Deep, so prepare yourselves.<<<

Dear God, NO. IT CAN'T BE!!

HLGStrider

All Knowing Magic Cat
Reaction score
Will Eowyn and Arwen Fight???

The biggest problem I have with Arwen appearing in TT is that it will down play poor Eowyn. It also messes up her lovely infatuation with Aragorn.
After all, in the book, Eowyn falls for Aragorn. I am pretty sure she assumed he was single. Now he has an elf babe (Sorry Arwen fans, but that's the way it is going to look) on his heals. What are they going to do? Get in a fight over him.
I can see it...
Eowyn: He's mine you pointy eared hussy!!! At least we're of the same species!
Arwen: If you want him, come and get him!!!!!!!!!!
Aragorn has enough to worry about without having to assure his sweetheart that he isn't having an affair with a Rohan Princess. Arwen's part is going to be a bad enough stretch without her having to "stake her claim" so to speak.

Arwen

Reaction score
Originally posted by Asfaloth
"Arwen," your namesake is NOT the same as Eowyn except in that they're both female! Honestly, I'm beginning to wonder if you're a troll. ...as for TTT, I've seen a screen shot of Arwen at Helm's Deep, so prepare yourselves.
Hey im not a troll :(.....i am an ELF princess.
Oh oh oh can you plzzzzzz post the pic of Arwen at Hlems Deep.....yaaaaaay i wanna see it, hey what is she wearing, does she look pretty....:)

Thorin

LOTR Purist to the end
Reaction score
I fail to see what the problem is for many of you. Many of you had no problem with Arwen's extended role at the Ford. At least at Helm's Deep she'll be one of the many who are just fighting. At the Ford she undermined Frodo, Elrond, Glorfindel and Tolkien's Arwen. Those are many HUGE distortions....You want a "more developed" Arwen, you're getting her. That's what happens when you mess with the characters. One change leads to another...What did you all expect from PJ's Arwen. :rolleyes:

I think the whole Helm's Deep changes are a travesty. The Elves weren't asked to come and fight at Pelennor fields because ?Legolas? said that the elves of Mirkwood were already fighting their own war. Why would they be at Helm's Deep which is much farther away from their homeland??...Arwen anywhere other than Rivendell and engaged in any battle is a travesty in itself.

For those of you constantly defending and justifying PJ's "vision" with all his changes...I have a feeling that soon you will rue the day....As the Bible says (Though in a different context :) ) , "These are the beginning of sorrows". PJ has promised many more big changes to the next two movies.

Last edited:

chrome_rocknave

Frodo Lives!
Reaction score
Arwen,
Eowyn is not an elf...nor is she the same as Arwen...

If Arwen does come to fight at Helms Deep, I dont see how anyone could possibly defend PJ then... That isn't even "replacing a useless character with another character that needs to be explained better". I don't see what the big deal is about PJ and Arwen...why did he want to make her role so big, that it would overshadow everything else?!? Another thing, Legolas was the only elf fighting at Helms Deep...are they afraid that if the elves dont have a major fighting sequence in TT, viewers will forget what an elf is?

I agree with you HLGStrider....having Arwen there will destroy Eowyn's character!! Arwen will probably show up at Isengard, Rohan, and maybe even Mordor! Who knows...she seems to be popping up everywhere else that she doesn't belong! Argh....

HLGStrider

All Knowing Magic Cat
Reaction score
I've been worried about Eowyn. It would be so easy to ruin her part. She's not some sort of "warrior princess". She's a sensitive creature with a broken heart... :( ...
I mean, with Arwen there she'd have a right to go balistic. The humans take the time to produce great heros like Aragorn and Beren and what happens to them? They marry elves... Sigh... Aragorn will be so afraid of his own "Warrior Princess" that he won't be able to be even as understanding and nice to Poor Eowyn as he was. He will try to be and he'll find Arwen's sword at his neck... Poor guy. I pity him more than Eowyn.

Asfaloth

Reaction score
I hear Arwen flies in to Mordor and plucks Frodo and Sam off the slopes of Mount Doom at the end of ROTK. No, seriously, I am told that the Eowyn/Faramir romance will be beefed upin the movie.

Lord Aragorn

King of Gondor
Reaction score
I think PJ wants to have Arwen play such a bigger role in the movie basically because there is not a whole lot of females in the books. I think he wants to add a little sex appeal to the film with Arwen looking all pretty, dashing in to check up on her man. That's my opinion anyway.

Lord Aragorn

King of Gondor
Reaction score
I wanted to add this to the hullaballu PJ has created with the characer of Arwen Evenstar and her role in the films. I would go so far as to say that Arwen falls while fighting the Lord of the Nazgul in Pelennor Fields as opposed to Eowyn fighting bravely in battle. Maybe PJ has some issue about the elves in which they MUST play a MUCH more important role in the films than in the books. Outside of Legolas and Lothlorien, PJ seems to want very badly to overplay elves importance in the War of the Ring.

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
Why didn't he inflate Eowyn's role? What a babe! Now THAT's a warrior

D E R N H E L M rules!

I predict Arwen defeats the witch king! You heard it here first!:eek:

Thread suggestions