🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Elves Never Die

Firawyn

Verbatim et litteratim.
Reaction score
You know, no matter how many years pass it never fails to amaze me how much coming back here to lurk makes me feel like I've come home. I'm certain those of you who know me from days long past (God, I'm getting old!) know I was once quite the chatterbox on these boards, though it warms my heart to see TTF still standing, and still active. There are new members, and I see a good many old faces as well. Once a Tolkien fan, always a Tolkien fan, yeah?

I think I'm going to stop lurking and try to get more active here.

*goes to dig copy of Lord of the Rings out of a box* Time for a reread I think. Can hardly get into any major discussion before a refresher, now can I?

In the meantime, the half-elven Firawyn sends her greetings to those from the ages past, and to the members who have come since I've been gone. Hello, my friends. :)

EcthelionL

Away with the Eldar...
Reaction score
... the half-elven Firawyn sends her greetings to those from the ages past, and to the members who have come since I've been gone. Hello, my friends. :)
Well met my friend. I'm new here but a lifelong (40+ years) Tolkien fan from Blighty. Looking forward to reading your future posts.

Firawyn

Verbatim et litteratim.
Reaction score
Greetings, Ecthelion and Cirdan.

I hail from the eastern part of the United States. I've been a Tolkien fan for about eighteen years now, though I didn't join this forum till... oh how long has it been? Since May of 03, if memory serves.

You may regret the looking forward to my posts. I'm an avid debater with a sharp tongue. I do keep things friendly, of course, but debate is one of my favorite aspects of this forum. Tolkien left so much unsaid, and so many questions unanswered, that the details which Tolkien fans delve into lend to (and often) the start of excellent discussions and debates.

On that note, are there any currently active and interesting threads that you fine gentlemen would recommend as a good starting point for me?

- Fir

CirdanLinweilin

The Wandering Wastrel
Reaction score
Greetings, Ecthelion and Cirdan.

I hail from the eastern part of the United States. I've been a Tolkien fan for about eighteen years now, though I didn't join this forum till... oh how long has it been? Since May of 03, if memory serves.

You may regret the looking forward to my posts. I'm an avid debater with a sharp tongue. I do keep things friendly, of course, but debate is one of my favorite aspects of this forum. Tolkien left so much unsaid, and so many questions unanswered, that the details which Tolkien fans delve into lend to (and often) the start of excellent discussions and debates.

On that note, are there any currently active and interesting threads that you fine gentlemen would recommend as a good starting point for me?

- Fir
Yay! An American! (West Coast here.)

The only discussion I can think of is the "House of Finwe -Discussion" thread in The Silmarillion category it was started by Starflower. In it, we talk about our favorite, not-so-favorite, and the one we'd wish everyone would just shut their traps on House of Finwe member. I added to the discussion with Maglor.

I'll try to find more. Hang tight.

CL

Welcome Back!!

EcthelionL

Away with the Eldar...
Reaction score
Good - I love a debate!

- Fir
It's all very quiet. I was a member of a few Tolkien forums years ago and they were very busy, but they all seem to have ground to a halt. This is the busiest I can find and there are still only a handful of posts every day. I blame the films - fair weather fans of those have now dwindled away. But that does leave a higher proportion of book fans, which is fine in my book (if you'll pardon the pun).

Last edited:

HalasĂ­an

Dunedain Ranger
Reaction score
Mae govannen Firawyn!

It's good to see someone from the 'ReadWryt' days (wonder what they are up to these days?) return.
I've been on here since '01, and return semi-erratically. Look forward to more of you here! :)

Firawyn

Verbatim et litteratim.
Reaction score
Mae govannen Firawyn!

It's good to see someone from the 'ReadWryt' days (wonder what they are up to these days?) return.
I've been on here since '01, and return semi-erratically. Look forward to more of you here! :)

Haha, it will take me some time to remember to type HalasĂ­an. I only ever called you "Wryt" back in the day. Since '03 for me. Got me beat by a couple of years. :p

Good to see you, old friend.

HalasĂ­an

Dunedain Ranger
Reaction score
Haha, it will take me some time to remember to type HalasĂ­an. I only ever called you "Wryt" back in the day. Since '03 for me. Got me beat by a couple of years. :p

Good to see you, old friend.
Just to be clear, I'm not 'ReadWryt',. I was just referring to them as they were all over this board back in the early part of the century. I think they either admin'd or modded then.

As you see, I have 560 posts in 16 years, and maybe a fifth of those were in one collaborative-writing thread with an ex-concubine. So, I'm not real prevalent at posting here even if I drop in and read and lurk semi-erratically. ;)

I wonder what happened to that orc Snaga?

Firawyn

Verbatim et litteratim.
Reaction score
I stand corrected. That said, I do recall seeing you around over the years.

There are a lot of the old crew missing in action. I do know Snaga and Wonko the Sane off and got hitched - last I heard they were living in England. I'm connected on FB with a few of the older group (HGLStrider, Erestor Arceman, Gothmog, Narya... a few others).

I find myself wondering what happened to Mrs. Maggott and Barliman Butterbur. They were among the older members back then. I do hope they are still kicking around and causing trouble.

CirdanLinweilin

The Wandering Wastrel
Reaction score
I stand corrected. That said, I do recall seeing you around over the years.

There are a lot of the old crew missing in action. I do know Snaga and Wonko the Sane off and got hitched - last I heard they were living in England. I'm connected on FB with a few of the older group (HGLStrider, Erestor Arceman, Gothmog, Narya... a few others).

I find myself wondering what happened to Mrs. Maggott and Barliman Butterbur. They were among the older members back then. I do hope they are still kicking around and causing trouble.
Is it weird that I go around reading posts from ages ago to see what kind of hopping place this forum was? I'm not a stalker, I swear. I just wanted to see the old conversations. I always learned a lot and you guys, honestly, got many a chuckle out of me. It's like I know you all already.

Fun Fact: I did get acquainted with Narya a while back. (She was reading some of my scant original fantasy writings.) She's pretty cool.

Glad you're all back!

CL

Firawyn

Verbatim et litteratim.
Reaction score
Is it weird that I go around reading posts from ages ago to see what kind of hopping place this forum was? I'm not a stalker, I swear. I just wanted to see the old conversations. I always learned a lot and you guys, honestly, got many a chuckle out of me. It's like I know you all already.

Fun Fact: I did get acquainted with Narya a while back. (She was reading some of my scant original fantasy writings.) She's pretty cool.

Glad you're all back!

CL
I'll take that as a compliment. I think every generation of members has older members they looked up to, or looked to for support in the midst of a debate (Do Balrogs have wings?!). For me it was Mrs. Maggot and Barliman Butterbur. Those two, good lord, were total opposites and more than one cat fight started raging between them. Alas, they were both brilliant, witty, and to my never ending irritation (and later immense gratitude) picked on my grammar and spelling till I was ready to scream. It's thanks to them I'm half the writer today as I've become.

I was trying to search for old posts a bit ago... not having much luck finding them. Are archives not included in the search functions of the new Vb platform?

Ages back there was this member (I don't even remember his name, honestly, though he was Australian) who had been on the boards a few years before I showed up, and then by the time he did pop back in, after having been banned and the Admin and Mods agreed to give him a second chance, and he took to picking arguments with me. I tend to be pretty good at defending myself, so as long as he didn't get nasty, I was later given the impression that the Mods agreed to just let us debate the points. One day, we're in the middle of some debate and he proceeded to get downright crude in his comments to me. In the space of about fifteen minutes, before I'd even SEEN his rather rude reply, I had four admins and six other highly respected members turning dragon on him. They defended me, every one of them, and told him that if he ever tried to talk to me like that again, he'd be banned without warning. He did eventually do it again and was banned a second time, but the point I am taking too long to make is this:

That was the day this forum became home and the members became family. I had a rough childhood and books, and by extension TTF, were my sanctuary. I made friendships here that have outlasted many "real life" friendships, and the fact that Tolkien fans come from everywhere around the world meant that in turn, my political opinions were shaped by those friendships. When 9/11 happened here in America, most people I knew were in a rage over every Muslim that had ever walked the earth. I met a Muslim girl here on TTF who I'd become friends with, and that allowed me to see past the grief and fear my country was facing, and accept that it was wrong to judge a nation of people based on the actions of a few. Treasure this place Cirdan. No matter your age, who you are and what your background... this place will shape you, if it has not already done so.

CirdanLinweilin

The Wandering Wastrel
Reaction score
I'll take that as a compliment. I think every generation of members has older members they looked up to, or looked to for support in the midst of a debate (Do Balrogs have wings?!). For me it was Mrs. Maggot and Barliman Butterbur. Those two, good lord, were total opposites and more than one cat fight started raging between them. Alas, they were both brilliant, witty, and to my never ending irritation (and later immense gratitude) picked on my grammar and spelling till I was ready to scream. It's thanks to them I'm half the writer today as I've become.

I was trying to search for old posts a bit ago... not having much luck finding them. Are archives not included in the search functions of the new Vb platform?

Ages back there was this member (I don't even remember his name, honestly, though he was Australian) who had been on the boards a few years before I showed up, and then by the time he did pop back in, after having been banned and the Admin and Mods agreed to give him a second chance, and he took to picking arguments with me. I tend to be pretty good at defending myself, so as long as he didn't get nasty, I was later given the impression that the Mods agreed to just let us debate the points. One day, we're in the middle of some debate and he proceeded to get downright crude in his comments to me. In the space of about fifteen minutes, before I'd even SEEN his rather rude reply, I had four admins and six other highly respected members turning dragon on him. They defended me, every one of them, and told him that if he ever tried to talk to me like that again, he'd be banned without warning. He did eventually do it again and was banned a second time, but the point I am taking too long to make is this:

That was the day this forum became home and the members became family. I had a rough childhood and books, and by extension TTF, were my sanctuary. I made friendships here that have outlasted many "real life" friendships, and the fact that Tolkien fans come from everywhere around the world meant that in turn, my political opinions were shaped by those friendships. When 9/11 happened here in America, most people I knew were in a rage over every Muslim that had ever walked the earth. I met a Muslim girl here on TTF who I'd become friends with, and that allowed me to see past the grief and fear my country was facing, and accept that it was wrong to judge a nation of people based on the actions of a few. Treasure this place Cirdan. No matter your age, who you are and what your background... this place will shape you, if it has not already done so.
*Applauds*
That was the single most beautiful and encouraging message for a young fantasy writer I have ever had addressed to me. Thank you, thank you, thank YOU!!!!!!

You are just a treasure.

God Bless!

CL

Firawyn

Verbatim et litteratim.
Reaction score
*Applauds*
That was the single most beautiful and encouraging message for a young fantasy writer I have ever had addressed to me. Thank you, thank you, thank YOU!!!!!!

You are just a treasure.

God Bless!

CL
As you'll learn very quickly I speak in full paragraphs. Written word, to me, is something that is underappreciated. World building is virtually non existent anymore. For as much as I respect the likes of George RR Martin and JK Rowling, neither one of them put enough detail into the backstory - sans relevant family tree information and what little origin items that were relevant to their respective plots - for my to truly see them as masters of world building. Tolkien built a world which included races, language, culture, detailed history, social structuring, literature within his own work of literature... what he did was the unthinkable. He took pen to a bit of paper, and fingers to a typewriter, and he created a world which for many is as real as the world we live in. That is something to aspire to.

That said, as I tell every student I work with when instructing on creative writing - learn how to work a simple plot and create a simple environment before you attempt to write the next Lord of the Rings.

Your first bit of published work does not need to be a series. It does not need to be 1,000 pages long. The average length of an adult level novel is between 65,000 and 75,000 words in the general fiction genre. It tends to be slightly longer for fantasy or sci-fi.

CirdanLinweilin

The Wandering Wastrel
Reaction score
As you'll learn very quickly I speak in full paragraphs. Written word, to me, is something that is underappreciated. World building is virtually non existent anymore. For as much as I respect the likes of George RR Martin and JK Rowling, neither one of them put enough detail into the backstory - sans relevant family tree information and what little origin items that were relevant to their respective plots - for my to truly see them as masters of world building. Tolkien built a world which included races, language, culture, detailed history, social structuring, literature within his own work of literature... what he did was the unthinkable. He took pen to a bit of paper, and fingers to a typewriter, and he created a world which for many is as real as the world we live in. That is something to aspire to.

That said, as I tell every student I work with when instructing on creative writing - learn how to work a simple plot and create a simple environment before you attempt to write the next Lord of the Rings.

Your first bit of published work does not need to be a series. It does not need to be 1,000 pages long. The average length of an adult level novel is between 65,000 and 75,000 words in the general fiction genre. It tends to be slightly longer for fantasy or sci-fi.
I will take this advice to heart, Firawyn, I really will. I agree with you on World Building. Every time I think about John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, I am humbled. I don't want to be the next Tolkien, I don't want my work to be as good. Quite simply, I want to write my world, and am constantly humbled knowing I will never be J.R.R Tolkien.

I am quite content being R.C. Black. (My Pen Name)

Tolkien is the master for a reason, and I am humble knowing that.

CL

The Elvish Minstrel

Obssessed with Elves <3
Reaction score
We're the lucky suckers. We get to decide which one we prefer. I'm totally going with the immortal approach. Arwen was dumb. :p
Yeah, those that can choose are pretty lucky, now that you mention it... not sure I ever thought of it that way. I disagree about Arwen being dumb though... anything for true love after all! :p I mean... imagine an Elf man choosing a mortal life for you! :oops: *Swoons*

Thread suggestions