🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Elvish Conversation (The Very Basics)- Sindarin

Arthfael

The Ranger
Reaction score
Hello all, mae govannen, I hope you all are doing well and are ready for a somewhat lengthy post! 😊

First off, you need to know the difference between the two types of Elvish I will be covering in this post and the next, Sindarin and Quenya.
Sindarin: Sindarin is the Elvish I speak, and write in. Sindarin is the most common form of Elvish spoken in Middle-earth, being the language of the elves who did not leave middle earth for Valinor.
Quenya: Tolkien intended Quenya to be an archaic and ancient language for the inhabitants of Middle-earth of the Third Age, being comparable to Latin in Europe. Because of this, he decided to make Quenya look visually like Latin and substituted K for C and Q for QU.

Onwards!

(For a pronunciation guide, see my earlier post about Elvish Pronunciation) There are also the literal translations of the words, but in conversation you take the literal meaning of the word.

Sindarin
Hi
A

Hail!
Ai!

A star shines on the hour of our meeting.
Êl síla erin lû e-govaned vîn.

I greet you!
Literal: I greet [familiar] you
Gi suilon!

I greet you!
Literal: I greet [formal] you
Le suilon!

Well met!
Literal: [familiar] You are well met
Mae govannen!

Well met!
Literal: [reverential] You are well met
Mae l'ovannen!

Do you speak Elvish?
Literal: Do [familiar] you speak Elvish
Pedig edhellen?

Do you speak Elvish?
Literal: Do [reverential] you speak Elvish
Pedil edhellen?

When?
Na van?

With what?
Literal: What with
A van?

Which one?
Literal: What one
Man pen?

Who is leading?
Literal: Who leads
Man tôg?

Why not?
Literal: Don't do it for what purpose
Avo garo am man theled?

Why?
Am man?

Thank you
Literal: I am glad
Ni 'lassui

Thank you
Literal: [reverential] You are generous
Le fael

Farewell
Literal: Be good
Novaer

Good luck/Good Bye
Galu

Hope this was informative for you all!
Na lû e-govaned vîn (Until next we meet. Literal: To the time of our meeting)

Elhath

Reaction score
I would say:

When?
Ne man? (compare ned echuir)
(Ne) man lû? (after Welsh pa bryd?)

With what? (an inquiry for the instrument)
Trî iuith man?

Which one?
Man uin/'din choth? Man uin/'din *beni? [OS *kwen-iie; cp. S serni ]
Man o/es sain?

Why?
Amman?

Why not?
Amman û?
Amman ú-garath-on?
(vs. contextually appropriate person-suffix)

Thank you
Nin *raenad-og / -ol ("You make me gracious"; can be further strengthened e.g. with a verb-prefix such as tre-)
Eglerion i vudad lín ("I laud your labour")
Gin/Len elion/*mannon dan ("I bless you in return")

Farewell
Novae

Last edited:

Artreii

Reaction score
I've wanted to learn Elvish for a few years now. I started with the dictionary and some YouTube vids. I also made a video on the basics, so you can learn them from it.

Elaran

Reaction score
I am sorry to say that there are multiple problems in that video, so I would not recommend trying to learn with it. I posted a feedback comment for it on Reddit but I am unable to link it here at the moment. And sadly some of the same issues can be found in other comments of this thread. In any case, memorising phrases is far from actually learning a language, in my opinion. The website that Atwe suggested is (not the best possible but) the best out there at the moment, as it updated its lessons to be more in tune with our current understanding of the languages, unlike other websites.

Thread suggestions