🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Elvish Expert Wanted ❤️

HLosie

Reaction score
Good evening Tolkien community, please can an elfish expert get in touch with me?
I have letter a close friend wrote me and I need it translated... I would be so grateful x

Can someone help me! I was written a letter in elfish... by a close friend... have tried to translate.. really desperate to know what it says!

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
Are you certain it's not a simple transliteration of your own language -- English, I'm assuming? If so, you can probably decipher it yourself, using just the information in the Appendices.

Barliman used to include such in letters to me, many years ago -- very annoying! 🤬

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
Sorry, no -- I'm pretty much illiterate when it comes to the Tengwar. There are some experts here; if you're patient, I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Nice calligraphy, though. :)

Last edited:

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, since you created your own post about this, I moved your comments and other users' replies to it. @Galin would be the one that could possibly help the best.

Elaran

Reaction score
Greetings. Administrator of (among other things) Parf Edhellen here. I was directed here by a colleague who posted a link to this thread in our discussion group.

Firstly, this is not a translation but a transcription. So it is in English, only written with the "Elvish letters" (i.e. the Tengwar). Secondly, it is a quite poor transcription, probably originating from a faulty transcriber program/website (judging by how "you"s are written, since I recognise that mistake). So it is rather difficult to interpret some of what is written, but I will try (with [!] marking (double)mistakes and [?] marking oddities and uncertainties), here:
"[???] words will never[!] be able to explain to you how I feel.
I know and have always[!] known that I have feelings for you, I look at you
and my heart melts, my mind fogs and all think about is you. When
I[?]m not with you it[?]s worse and you never[!] leave my mind.

I know I[?]ve made the wrong choice[!] [?]ust from seeing[!] you. I know that I will
never[!] be as happy as I could have been with you. I know that for the rest
of my life I will have one regret that I will never get over because of [?]
few moments[!] of [pure?] and utter exhilaration."

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
Because of the spoiler, I have refrained from viewing. Very nice of you to register in order to help, but if the letter is as personal as you suggest, perhaps it would be better in the form of a PM to Hlosie?

Thread suggestions