🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Elvish Language

Malidor

Reaction score
I wanted to learn elvish and I was wondering - what type of elvish does Arwen and Aragorn speak in the movie? Quenya? Sindarin? Or that of old Noldoric-type speech?

Also, where would be a good place for me to learn and find out the language that they speak?

Malidor

Reaction score
Is this quenya?

"Nin o Chithaeglir,
Lasto beth Daer;
rimmo nin Bruinen
da in Ulaer!"

This is close to what Arwen says to make the water crash into the Ringwraiths in FotR.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
That's Sindarin. I'm not exactly what you'd cal and expert :p but the first line means "Waters of the Hithaglir"; lasto beth... means "listen/hear the voice..."; rimmo nin Bruinen/(something)(something) Ulairi probably means "rush, waters of Bruinen, and crush the Ringwraiths." Or something. :p
Anyway, Quenya is a lot more aesthetic and beautiful IMHO; it also has its roots in the Finnish language, which makes it automatically the second coolest tongue on earth. ;)
Visit
this great place, here in TTF, or more info. :)

Welcome to the forums, Malidor!

Malidor

Reaction score
Well I can translate it, I just needed to know what language it was. I didn't think it was Quenya. :p But here is the translation --

"Waters of the Misty Mountains,
listen to the Great Word;
Send waters of Loud Water
against the Ringwraiths!"

:D

L

*Lady Aragorn*

is there any more phrases that aragorn or arwen speak? that was cool!

Malidor

Reaction score
Hmmm, Im not quite sure, *Lady Aragorn*. But what exactly did Aragorn and Arwen speak? Quenya or Sindarin?

I also noticed something else. When Elrond is talking to Frodo just before he is about to pass to the Shadow, he says something like this ---

"Lasto beth nin - something something Cala."

I think this uses sindarin and quenya, because "Lasto" means listen and "beth" means word in sindarin, but "nin" means me or I in quenya. And "cala" means light in quenya. So did he use both Quenya and Sindarin in this phrase? Or did I translate it wrong? This is what I think he means ---

"Listen to my word - come back to the Light."

Malidor

Reaction score
Ok, so what language do you think would be the most useful? Quenya or Sindarin? And what language is spoken the most often?

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
Quenya was no longer a birth-tongue, but still used for ceremony, high matters of lore and song ... Appendix F says that:

The Exiled Noldor had adopted Sindarin for 'daily use' ...

"... and hence it was the tongue of all those Elves and Elf-lords that appear in this history."

I

I Love Legolas!

Is this quenya?

How do u say that when Arwen had said that??:)

Malidor

Reaction score
Ok, I think I want to learn Sindarin, but I also want to learn Quenya. I think I might just learn Quenya, since I already have lots of resources on it.

But if you could, could you check out the Tengwar topic I made?

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
Originally posted by Malidor But if you could, could you check out the Tengwar topic I made?
Who is 'you'? :D _if_ me I've never used any computer fonts.

Last edited:

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
Re: Is this quenya?

Originally posted by I Love Legolas! How do u say that when Arwen had said that??:)
Could you run that by again (be more specific maybe)?

Malidor

Reaction score
Ok since I want to learn Sindarin, does anyone know any good place that I can learn it? (besides that Ardylambion place :p) I also want you to check this thing out and tell me if the words are accurate. It is supposed to be a sindarin wordlist program. So go here to download it and try it out. Thanx!

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
Yes Hiswelóke is good :)

Basically try Ardalambion's links (Malidor, you might enjoy Amanye Tenceli). Any web stuff should be additions to Tolkien's books IMO ~ and for now, I think Ardalambion is simply the best web site going.

¤

Malidor

Reaction score
Learning any language is hard, Shiprah. But as long as you stick with it, you can do it! ;) There are a lot of Quenya sources on the internet, so its not that hard to find stuff. I suggest you go here and here for some good Quenya stuff. :)

Thread suggestions