🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Elvish Languages

Nazgul

Reaction score
I want to learn elvish...

I have been in this forum for a while and I have noticed that some of you know some elvish languages...
I have several questions:
1. Where did learn those languages?
2. I want to learn the elvish language that is used in the Lord of the Rings. What is the specific language and where can I learn it?
Hope some of you will answer my questions...
Thank you in advance!

********02/02/02 I have merged four other related threads into this one and changed its name to Elvish Languages. This thread does and should reside in the Hall of Fire. Please post all of your questions concerning Elvish Languages here and they will be answered. Thanks!!********

Grond

Last edited by a moderator:

orion

Reaction score
I am fairly new here myself, I know there is really no definitions in either The Hobbit or LOTR. I think it is probably in one of Tolkiens other novels. One of the senior members would probably know for sure which one.

Shanoncia

Reaction score
A little suggestion

Most od the elven in tolkiens LOTR was Sindarin. If you were to learn any language I would recommand that for the Noldar language was banned by Thingol in the first age after he learnt of the noldars betrayal and kin-slaying. You can learn this on a few sites on the net. Just go to a search engine like google.com and type in Sindarin. You might be surpirsed at what you'll find.;)

Melian

Maia Queen
Reaction score
Why not try out the Appendices to the LOTR?!It's much work,but at the end you can write the names of your friends in Elvish and nobody would know what these signs are about.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
I'm sure Cian has written several books on the subject, so ask her for more details. :rolleyes:
I have two books, The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth and An Introduction to Elvish, which have extensive information on speaking both Sindarin and Quenya. I also learned to write the Tengwar from AItE.

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pontifex
I'm sure Cian has written several books on the subject, so ask her ...
Aiya sermonya, mana quétalye? Nánye nér.

(my Q. based on what is seemingly known, as of today :))

Nazgul

Reaction score
Hello Cian!
How did u learn all of it?
and another question...
what is the meaning of:
Aiya sermonya, mana quétalye? Nánye nér.

Melian

Maia Queen
Reaction score
Hey,are you sure you are OK? I just wonder because I can observe some serious disturbing symptoms about your (mental) condition:D

T

Thranduil

Melian

If you're referring to my post I would immediately recommend you to stop reading LoTR for a while :) It was just a simple translation of that elvish text.

Greets and Merry X-Mas

Thranduil

Melian

Maia Queen
Reaction score
Thranduil

Dear Thranduil,simple translations can also be dangerous sometimes:) :)
I am quite impressed but at the same time I cannot but worry about a friend;)

Anyway,wish you a Merry Chrismas!

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
Thranduil's trans. is correct, and the 2nd part, "I am (a) man" is due to Ponti's "her..." :)

Of course, those sentences are either lifted from usage by Helge Fauskanger (Ardalambion author) or are based on commentary by him because they contain theoried choices ~ such choices which can possibly be obsoleted by future publications from the linguistic Editorial Team to boot ~ stuffs which can maybe help with things like pronouns, the verb to be ... and whatnot.

I usually try to write in a more "Tolkien-attested" light, but it seemed to fit (coming from a mortal anyway) as a good reaction to "her" :D I could have written the second part differently but, well let's not get into that ...

OK, so: Cian is not a her, his sentences here contain v. much theory (even using Helge's great insight), and... after the JRR Tolkien sources themselves, I'd point to Ardalambion on the web. Of the two books mentioned "Intro to Elvish ..." seems to be the better according to some folk I've read, but both are out of date compared to Helge's site.

Last edited:
A

ArwensTwin

Elvish

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew any good sites from which I could learn elvish? Help would be much appreciated. Thanx!

BluestEye

Reaction score
Reading Elvish

Ragnarok, what book do you read that teaches you Elvish? Is it good? Do you know other good book wich I can learn from them Elvish? Is it Sindarin or Quenya?

BluestEye

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Welcome to both ArwensTwin and BluestEye! :)
I'd just like to say, AT, that there are several threads in forums like The Hall of Fire which deal with the Elvish languages. I suggest you check them out before you post your own thread. You see, they will just pile up if every new member who wants to learn Quenya or Sindarin posts a new thread every time they want to ask a question. :)
Aanyway.. I am learning to speak Quenya (as I have mentioned at the thread in The Hall of Fire), and can form pretty good sentences.. *coughs* I am learning from two books, called An Introduction to Elvish and The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth. I also learned the Tengwar (the elvish writing system devised by Tolkien) from AItE.

A

ArwensTwin

Pontifex, I looked for other threads that had information on sites where I can learn elvish. I saw no others. The sites that people have given me either don't work or simply discuss the history of elvish.

Thread suggestions