🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Evading the Curse

Miriel

Reaction score
It was early spring. The green elves were gathering supplies. Except, their tribe didn't consist of elves alone.

A year ago, the daughter of bravest mortal warrior had joined their tribe. They, of course, welcomed her with open arms.

They also accepted her for her mother, kinswoman of Beren, their late leader, as well as for her brother, destroyer of evil.

And now she was in labour.

"Peace, Nienor.." encouraged the elf who was reponsible for childbirths.

(Twenty years later)

"Are you sure you want to this, Maldir?"

"Yes" a man named Maldir spat. "Morgoth must pay for suffering he inflicted upon my parents!"

"But..."

"No buts! We'll kill him. His most trusted advisor. His blood for my parents' blood!" shouted Maldir

Maldir turned around and entered the tent. There was a tablet he kept a secret. A tablet very dear to him. On it was written something also very dear to him.

"Turin and Nienor - my mother and my father"

He smiled gently at the memory. The black hair of his father and soft golden curls of his mother.

"Morgoth will pay for misfortune of my parents." he swore. Carrying the tablet outside, he gently tucked it in his saddlebag and jumped onto his horse, a lovely grey mare, and he rode off.

(a year later)

"So, you serve one who destroyed my parents?" Maldir asked, a hint of rage in his voice.

Sauron nodded, solemnly.

"Then I shall have some fun, myself. Take him to the dungeons!" Maldir ordered. "I'll deal with him myself, later."

A guard approached Maldir.

"You have your father's temper."

"True, but I also have my mother's wisdom. Which is why I want you to go spy on the enemy. Now that Valar are here, I won't betray my people's trust."

"You also have your mother's eyes."

"True."

Miriel

Reaction score
Maldir sat by lake, staring at space. The tale of Hin Hurin were told every night among people of his village. However, he never attended those meetings.

His wife was Edwen, daughter of his trusted captain, who was a long-term descendant of Hador's house.

As Maldir himself was.

"Why aren't you listening to stories?"

"Because...it's too painful. Please, beloved, leave me alone for a while."

"I lost my parents because of he named Melkor and all his servants actions. There's nothing to condone his actions. Nothing he could use to excuse himself. Nothing at all.
As prophecized, my father will kill Morgoth and thus bring my mother and aunt back to life. "Laughter" that was my aunt's name. She also died because of Morgoth. His cries be heard in hell. I'll join the Host of Valar and avenge my parents and my aunt too!" Maldir decided.

(two hours later)

Maldir and Edwen were having dinner.

"Have you heard the TRUE tale of Hin Hurin?" Edwen asked

"Not really. Why?"

Edwen took a deep breath

"Because your mother still lives."

(a week later)

Maldir was desperate to reach Nan Tathren and be reunited with his mother.

When he arrived, however, he found something he didn't expect.

He expected his mother to be weak, but in fact she was more healthy than ever.

He was pleasantly suprised.

He made the decision then and there.

He would stay with his mother forever.

Miriel

Reaction score
Maldir and Nienor were gathering flowers.

"So, mother, father will kill Morgoth, and we will prevail."

(Two years later)

"It's sinking" said Nienor in fear. She was thirty years old now, and her son was twenty.
"What do we do?"

"Don't worry, mother. Climb with me on this raft. We'll sail to safety."

And they did.

"Farewell, Beleriand. Farewell, my brother." Nienor whispered

They finally reached the shore of eastern lands. Lindon was to be their new home.

As for Edwen, she had died in the sinking. Maldir was now free to pick a new wife.

But he stayed loyal to memory of Edwen.

He and his mother settled in village in Lindon.

They lived and died there.

But as their final death scrpting, they left a tablet

On it was written

"We will prevail."

Peeping-Tom

Noldo & Uruk-Hai in one
Reaction score
I'm so sorry Miriel, for the late reply... Just returned from vacation.

You did it... And it's a great story too...

There's room for clearifications and enhancements... but that's just me... I'm a freak about details and the "be true to Tolkien" way of telling stories. You done well here, and I hope you'll continue to contribute with stories.

And for the record...
Don't be scared of stupid Tolkien-freaks and fanatics (like myself) telling you, what you can or can't do... We all like it, our own way...
But you do have proved, to me anyway, that you dare go your own way, in telling stories... and thank you for that...
Keep up the good work...

Attachments

Miriel

Reaction score
Should I write a sequel, about what happened after Dagor Dagorath?

Peeping-Tom

Noldo & Uruk-Hai in one
Reaction score
What do YOU want to write about?

Short stories (essays)
Long stories (novels)
Poems/songs

It is up to you...
One should only write, if he/she has something to tell.

But to write about life after Dagor Dagorath (the end of the world), I guess would be too much... As far as I know, Tolkien wrote that the spirits of men would join the Ainur in the second song... meaning that things would start all over again, but probably with new spieces. You would have to create and write a whole new Silmarillion from the start...

But if you ment after the War of the Wrath (the last war between Morgoth and the Valar), then just go ahead... Tolkien almost skipped the time from the war and till Númenor was ready (some thirty-something years).

Miriel

Reaction score
I didn't mean the whole popularity. I meant to write about line of Hurin after Dagor Dagorath...

Peeping-Tom

Noldo & Uruk-Hai in one
Reaction score
Miriel... Just to straightend up a little mixup...

I think you have mixed up the names of the wars in Beleriand.
Dagor Dagorath is the name of the prophesied Last Battle, where Melkor comes back and the whole Earth (Arda) is destroyed. There would be nothing to write about...

The battle, that ended with Morgoth's final defeat, the sinking of Beleriand and the creation of Númenor is called the War of the Wrath. I don't know the name in Sindarin or Quenya, if there is any.

Miriel

Reaction score
But it says that Ainur will create a new world, where Ainur and elves and men would sing together...

Therefore, even if old Arda will be destroyed, new Arda will be made, light of Two Trees rekindled, and Elves and Men, which involves Line of Hurin, will live in glory.

That's what it says in various books...

And I want to create my version of that glory.

Thread suggestions