🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Excavating Moria...

Telchar

Someone out there?
Reaction score
Yesterday I saw some pictures from the mines of Røros. And the hills made by rocks and gravel remove from the mines. Then I came to think about Moria. What did they do with all the rock and gravel they removed? Sore some was used to build roads, but when you think about the size of the 21st Hall. And there has to be atleast 20 other halls, more or less the same size. The amount of material removed during the exavation must have been enormous, an yet there are not mentioned what they did with it. Any ideas?

Elanor2

Reaction score
They carved the bigger stones and made jewelry of the smaller ones. Then they sold it to the idiot Elves and Men who were ready to but any rubbish because it was made by the Dwarves and Oh soo fashionable. The Dwarves look grim, but that is just because they are trying hard not to laugh...

Another solution is that they ate it, but the first one makes a better story...

Hama

Scholar and Adventurer
Reaction score
It is possible that the mines were located on the site of a natural cave of some sort, in which case, there is far less material to dispose of.

Telchar

Someone out there?
Reaction score
But even if the mines where located on a site were there had been a natural cave, the cave must have been enormous, and I doubt it was. Even if the description in LoTR is rather short, it take about, IIRC, 4 days to go trough Moria, so the mines must have been extreamly large. So I doubt that the "natural" part of the mines can, at the most, be more than 10%, unless the whole mountain was one huge cave, but I find that rather unbelivable(sp?).

Turgon

Ghost-King of Gondolin
Reaction score
I think that the only reasonable explaination is that the mines were a series of natural caves and tunnels, expanded upon by the Dwarves, also some of the passages could have been created by the nameless things that dwelt in the darkness below the earth. The only other explaination I can think of is that the Dwarves had some pretty strange eating habits... a couple o' hundred hungry dwarves and there you go - one big cave complex...

AustintheGreen

the Green Man
Reaction score
Well, I remember in the Silmarillion that Melkor created a vast tunneling system below Ea. But I'm thinking that was up north, I'd have to go look it up. Anyway, I think that is a great explanation for a pre-existing cave. The Balrog was down there, so it stands to reason that there was a pre-Dwarf entrance to the space under Moria. (Unless of course he tunneled there all the way from Angmar.) :)

Great question! I'm thinking a lof of it was used on roads, and don't forget the towers on top of the mountains!

Inderjit S

Bootylicious
Reaction score
Well given that Moria had been around for like thousands of years, and the fact that the Dwarven craftsmen were more skilled then your "normal" human ones, then I am sure they could have though of something. But then again, Moria was picked as the realm of Durin for a reason, and perhaps it had good natural caves and tunnesl. Or they may just have chucked the bricks down bottomless chasm, as food, not for the Dwarves as Turgon claims, but for the nameless things. ;)

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
Inderjit S said:
Well given that Moria had been around for like thousands of years, and the fact that the Dwarven craftsmen were more skilled then your "normal" human ones, then I am sure they could have though of something. But then again, Moria was picked as the realm of Durin for a reason, and perhaps it had good natural caves and tunnesl. Or they may just have chucked the bricks down bottomless chasm, as food, not for the Dwarves as Turgon claims, but for the nameless things. ;)
And people wonder why that Balrog was so pissed...someone probably blocked off it's kitchen...

Thread suggestions