🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Exchange Debate Between GoT and GoE

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Finally we are ready with the teams.It has been a long time since we decided to do such a debate and finally everything is almost ready.I hope that this debate will be only the first one of many "exchange debates".
The debators from GoT and GoE are:
GoE
-Scatha
-Beth
-Celebthol
-Omni
GoT
-Melian L
-Starflower
-Celebdraug
-Finduilas

From these 8 debators team A and team B will be formed:
Team A
-Melian L
-Starflower
-Celebthol
-Omni

Team B
-Scatha
-Beth
-Finduilas
-Celebdraug
The topic will be posted soon(let me first see who will participate-Ulairi or Manveru).
Judges:
Gothmog
Nom
Walter

Good Luck!!!!

Last edited:

Scatha

The dragon of wrath
Reaction score
Since when is Snaga debating in this? :p

Last time I checked, my name was Scatha. *snickers*

omnipotent_elf

Omnipotent....mmm....good
Reaction score
well well, i've been traded...hmm......

lets get this thing started :D

Scatha

The dragon of wrath
Reaction score
Aye, let's get this party started. I have asked all our debators to report in this thread.

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
... a Nazgul takes a seat in the first row and prepares to watch the show... :p

omnipotent_elf

Reaction score
.....Seeing the black coat in the front row made omni increasingly nervous, with sweat dripping of his face even before everyone else has arrived..... :p

Bethelarien

The Lost Evenstar
Reaction score
Bring it on.

Lhun, sweetie, that avatar is disgusting! ;) Perfect for a wraith. :D

Come on, Findi and Draug! Let's go! :D

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Master Gothmog will post the topic some time this day!!!

The one team which post its opening post first will actually choose a side.The slower team will have to take the other side
GOOD LUCK

Last edited:

Gothmog

Lord of Balrogs
Staff member
Reaction score
Gil-Galad said:
Master Grond will post the topic some time this day!!!
Seems that Gil-Galad made a mistake with the name. The topic is to be set by myself.*bows*

So here it is.

The One Ring.

There have been many threads complaining that Gandalf should have recognised the One Ring during the time that Bilbo and Frodo had it in the Shire. Well, it could also be said that he could have recognised it when first he saw it, or at least on the way back to the shire when he had finished his pressing business in Dol Guldur. (this would in some ways be more likely as he had just dealt with Sauron and the One would no doubt be on his mind).

So your mission, should you wish to accept it, is to debate this question.

Had Gandalf recognised the One Ring before Bilbo had returned to the Shire, would the Ring have been destroyed before the Rise of Sauron?

Good luck and have fun. :)

Bethelarien

The Lost Evenstar
Reaction score
The question of the debate is:

Had Gandalf recognised the One Ring before Bilbo had returned to the Shire, would the Ring have been destroyed before the Rise of Sauron?

This is a hypothetical question, having little to no substantiary evidence. My team will endeavor to prove that, had Gandalf recognised the One Ring at the time suggested, it would indeed have been destroyed before the Rise of Sauron.

Let us examine the question a little more closely. In order to satisfactorily answer the question, we must discuss what is meant by the Rise of Sauron. During the Quest of Erebor, Sauron was known simply as the Necromancer, and resided in Dol Guldur in the southern part of Mirkwood. Certainly he was feared there--but he was not yet a major force to be reckoned with throughout the rest of Middle-earth.

As we are told in the Tale of Years, it was not until AFTER Bilbo returned to the Shire with the One Ring in 2942 that Sauron returned to Mordor. And, also told in the Tale of Years, it is not until 2951 that Sauron declares himself openly and begins the rebuilding of Barad-dur. We see that there is a substantial lapse of time--nine years, to be exact--between Bilbo's return to the Shire and the beginning of Sauron's rise to power in the Third Age.

Thus we see that, had Gandalf recognized the One Ring for what it truly was, there would have been ample time to arrange for its destruction BEFORE Sauron regained power. Sauron was still in the midst of trying to rebuild, to regain what he had lost. Therefore, had Gandalf recognized the Ring, it would have been much easier and much more possible to destroy it, rather than having to face the thousands of Orcs as well as the Nazgul, as Frodo and Sam did.

omnipotent_elf

Reaction score
IMPORTANT:

Who is on my team
Celebthol has left TTF
and which one of Ulairi or Manveru is participating. It makes it incredibly hard to have an argument when i don't know who's helping me, and what ideas everyone else have!!!!!!

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Since Celebthol is not here I guess Manveru and Ulairi can debate both!!!You should be 4!!
so your team is :
you
Manveru
Ulairi
Starflower

you can pm them about your tactics etc.

Scatha

The dragon of wrath
Reaction score
Err, I have not been advised that Thol left TTF, but give me a little time to provide a replacement for him from within the GoE?

Thread suggestions