🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Exchange Debate Between GoT and GoE

Manveru

(former)blue angel of GoT
Reaction score
Scatha said:
Err, I have not been advised that Thol left TTF, but give me a little time to provide a replacement for him from within the GoE?
Gil-Galad said:
I asked Manveru to replace him so,I believe that the debate can contiue.The topic is really very good one.
Hmm... I'm not from the GoE (though I fancy Elves a little... no, not in this way; c'mon...;)) so I can wait, Scatha, my pointy-eared friend... but if you can't find her/him, I guess it won't be a problem for me to debate... guess so, don't know yet (problems usually "occur" during...;)).

Manveru

Reaction score
Uff... another "thingy" on my humpback... geesh...
(hope your conscience will endure that, your Majesty;))

:D

-------
We'll continue with it, just let me get in touch with the rest of the team...

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Having in mind this small problem I will give three more days to the debators.
The end of the debate is February 5th,06:26 A.M CET
I hope that it will be enough for you to make one interesting and pleasant debate.

omnipotent_elf

Omnipotent....mmm....good
Reaction score
Excellent - so we have found the question :D (i was lost for a few days, thisa would have been up sooner, but for RL)

Had Gandalf recognised the One Ring before Bilbo had returned to the Shire, would the Ring have been destroyed before the Rise of Sauron

On behalf of my time, I will open. There happens to be very little evidence from the novels, for this is a hypothetical question - but looking at some of the letters from tolkien, we, the opposing team (come on guys, we need a NAME *looks at team*) are proving this this statement could indeed be false.

Look at the possibilities. Sauron was indeed at Gul Duldur, But as this is hypothetical, why cant we simply assume that he stayed in Mordor. That Gandalf, instead of actually having to face against him, had instead stayed with the mission and helped the dwarves (and indeed bilbo). He could have found out, just like the rest of the dwarves, at the same time as them! So Sauron, in this time, could quite easily have built a much larger strength in Mordor, protecting mount Doom!!

Also, the reason why Frodo succeeded was, in some respects, due to the fellowship. Gandalf could quite easily have spent TIME finding a suitible group, but even without the "strength", Sauron still had the ringwraiths, at his disposal, in mordor which would have been more then adequate protection from the "destruction" of the ring.
Ok, this is just an openor, so my team, back me up!

Scatha

The dragon of wrath
Reaction score
The ringwraiths were brought back into life/power, long after Bilbo had found the one ring, thus they could not have played a real part in the prevention of the destruction, had Gandalf recognised the ring for what it was. Sauron himself was not even near mount doom, nor was there any large force to be reckoned with in mordor at that time.

If Gandalf would have recognised the ring sooner, when he laid eyes on it, then the destruction of it would have been so much simpler. With no real opposing force between the western kingdom and mount doom, the ring would have landed easily within the firey abyss, with less people lost in the process.

More elves were around at that time as well, to aid in bringing this ring to mordor, even more dwarves willing to do so.

So I fail to see where you think this is not the case. :p

Manveru

Reaction score
Geesh, maybe I'll be "the One" (no, not the ring;)) to spoil this great and breathtaking (;)) debate, but, from my "shallow" part, I think that this topic isn't good to debate without too much "free interpretation" so to say... looks very one-sided, but maybe it's only me... don't wanna complain, though... no, Precious, nooooooo... :p

*flies away to dig some more on the matter... doubtfully;)*

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
So, are we proceeding? :confused:
Come on, guys, I have just gone through "The Letters" (after a calm sleepless night) and am in full shape of debating..:D

Eriol

Estel
Reaction score
An opinion

I think that in this stage of the debate (each team has posted at least once) the topic may only be discarded by common agreement between the two teams. It is an interpretation of the rules -- since this debate was staged differently than ordinary debates, with the "who posts first picks a side" rule. But I think it is a reasonable interpretation, and if someone asked me :D, that would be my opinion.

In other words, if you think the topic is one-sided, get the other team to agree with you. If they don't, well, do your best :).

I know no one asked me, but I am watching this with interest and I am a big mouth.

Manveru

Reaction score
Eriol said:
I know no one asked me, but I am watching this with interest and I am a big mouth.
No kidding;) (just kidding)

As for the rest... we do our best, but, well, it needs some "changes" in the history (I'm not going to "dare" that thing). Though, maybe not... I'm not familiar with "The Letters"... :eek:

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
What's happening to the debate?
I think that we all should agree for a change of topic and then go on debating!:D
Come on!:p

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Well,I like the topic and actually there are som very interesting things which can be added,but it seems nobody sees them.

The debate should be over today,but if you want I will continue it with one more week?Do you want it?Or you do not like the topic?

Bethelarien

The Lost Evenstar
Reaction score
Scatha and I have spoken about this, and if the other team wishes to change the topic, we will agree to it. Finuilas seems to find that acceptable as well. So, if the other team wishes it, we will accept a topic change.

Scatha

The dragon of wrath
Reaction score
Excuse me, but now we have waited for two weeks, in vain, while it was the other team in the first place that started the issue on the topic. Can we either get on with this or blow it off?

Scatha

The dragon of wrath
Reaction score
As I stated earlier, almost everyone has agreed on a new topic. So what are we waiting for?

Thread suggestions