🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Exploring the People of Middle-earth: Sauron—Craftsman, Ring-giver, and Dark Lord

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score

Apparently, I didn't see that this was a series on Tor.com. This week the article discusses Sauron and I thought it was a pretty good write-up.
Sauron’s fall is, however, of an altogether different kind than that of Melkor. Unlike his master, Sauron did not desire the annihilation of the world, but rather the sole possession of it (note how similarly Melkor corrupted Fëanor and Sauron). In fact, it was original Sauron’s virtue that drew him to Melkor: Tolkien writes that “he loved order and coordination, and disliked all confusion and wasteful friction. (It was the apparent will and power of Melkor to effect his designs quickly and masterfully that had first attracted Sauron to him)” (Morgoth’s Ring, hereafter MR, 396).
Edit: The rest of the Middle-Earth articles in this series can be found here.

Merroe

Reaction score
I took great pleasure in reading more of those contributions there, Erestor Arcamen!

There are some really nice essays there; thx a bunch for pointing to that website here!

Thread suggestions