🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Fastitocalon

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
Did this mythical creature of Hobbit-lore actually exist or was it truely an allegory of the destruction of Numenore?

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
I have obviously stumped everyone!

Turgon

Ghost-King of Gondolin
Reaction score
Old horny Fastitocalon!

It seems likely that 'Old Horny' was indeed an allegory of the downfall, sometimes hobbit-lore can be deceivingly acurate as in the case of the Oliphaunt. But what then are Mewlips? and where is Merlock mountain? Those hobbits and their pipe-weed!!!

Last edited:

Gamil Zirak

The Ladies' Dwarve
Reaction score
I don't remember reading about Fastitocalon, but it's been a while since I've read the books. Where is this "being" talked about? I'd like to re-read that passage. Thanks.

Turgon

Ghost-King of Gondolin
Reaction score
The Fastitocalon is a poem in 'The Adventures of Tom Bombadil'. According to Tolkien, the poems come from the Red Book of Westmarch and are little scraps of Hobbit-Lore...

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
Yes I have to read that book too,
Did this mythical creature of Hobbit-lore actually exist or was it truely an allegory of the destruction of Numenore?
You mean that in this poem there are some "creatures" like this Mewlips (if they are creatures) I would like to know if someone can explain.
thanks

Thread suggestions