🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Favorite Age!

What is your favorite age of Tolkien's Middle-earth???

• The First Age?

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • The Second Age?

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • The Third Age?

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Other e.g. The Fourth Age, The Ainulindale?

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
M

Mormegil

The First Age was my favourite, with great heroes such as Turin, Beren, Fingolfin and Finrod.
It also has the best battles and stories.
Also it showed that Elves could be evil, with some of the deeds done by Maeglin, Eol and the Son's of Feanor.

Woo

3rd lieutenant of Melkor
Reaction score
Its gotta be the first age because every major and little event led up to and affected the events in the 3rd age with the war and destruction of the ring.
Such as what if Turin & Nienor never died, also what if Gluarung never perished.

And there aint been no female ever to walk Arda such as Luthien who is immaculate!!

Goro Shimura

Scribe of the Eldanyárë
Reaction score
The Akallabeth (Pontifex-- please help with spelling here!) is my favorite.

What a story!

The Numenoreaons "hardening their hearts"...
Sauron in the temple... sacrificing "the faithful" to Morgoth...
Isildur rescuing the fruit of the White tree...
And finally... the swallowing up of Atlantis.

Let's see... the first age ends with the breaking of Thangoradrim (help, Pontifex!) and the second age ends with Isildur cutting the ring from Sauron's hand, right?

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Correct, Goro: just put a little hat on the 'e' (ê) and you're set. :)
I voted for the First Age too, for all the reasons others have posted. And if you think there's lots happening in the Third Age, what about the 1st! Whew! :)
But really, I think that the Silmarillion is a far more interesting, emotional, deep and myth-like tale than the Lord of the Rings. I love the LotR for its narrativeness and extreme depth of explanation, but I love the Sil even more for its incredible history.

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
I voted for the third... loads going on yes, but with hobbits in too!

NB: Beleg the first age is quite short. Less than a thousand years. Surprising, but true. By contrast the third is about 3000 years.

StriderX

Reaction score
Definetly the 1st age because it had the most action and I loved Turin.

M

Mormegil

Only 2 people have voted for the 2nd Age. Is this because there are no main stories from that Age. All we have is in appendices and the Akallabeth.
The 2nd Age isn't boring, it's just that we don't know much about it.

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
My favourite age was when I was about 23 or 24, it all went downhill from there on in.

imladris

Reaction score
That's the first age for me, because you had the greatest battles then.
Also you had the coolest guys, like Beren and Fingolfin.
:D

Dengen-Goroth

Dark Lord of Arda
Reaction score
First age. The Greatest Evil, the Greatest light. Kin-Slaying, Dwarven war, collapse of glory. It is glorious! BTW, I would think the first was longer then only 1,000.

Thread suggestions