🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Favorite Battle

What is your favorite Battle/Mini-Skirmish?

• Skirmish w/ wolves and goblins (The Hobbit)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slaying of Smaug

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Battle of Five Armies

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Skirmish in Moria

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • March of the Ents

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Skirmish between the Orcs and Rohan

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Helm's Deep

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Field of Pelennor

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • The Black Gate

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Scouring of the Shire

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • The Battle of Azanulbizar

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tulkas

Reaction score
It's amazing how many people look at the poll and don't vote. For all of us that want to know I ask you all to please vote.

Dengen-Goroth

Dark Lord of Arda
Reaction score
I have to disagree. For me helm's deep was the most action packed. PJ better capture the full magnitude of the battle, and the victory.

Aerin

Halfway out the door
Reaction score
I think I'm right in saying that the Battle of the Black Gate was the battle fought with Aragorn leading the dead warriors, but I'm not sure. I also really love the Battle of Helm's Deep, it seemed so hopeless, then the tide turned. I hope a lot of the movies focus on well-choreographed battles!

Tulkas

Reaction score
I'm sorry Aerin. That is not the real name of the battle. I didn't feel like looking it up so I went by the name of the chapter, but now that I remember, that battle was very short and what you said would probably fill the spot better. What is it really called?

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
I actually liked every battle, but as the Battle of the Pelennor was the most important and took the longest, I voted for that. Helm's Deep is great because of it's mood. The forces besieged in Helm's Deep still have their sense of humour (Legolas vs. Gimli) and they don't give up although victory seems at first impossible.

Rosie Cotton

Reaction score
Well I voted for Scouring of the Shire. I always feel so proud of the hobbits for standing up for themselves. :D It was very hard to decide though. I love when the ents go to destroy Isengard, and I almost had to vote for that one.

Kementari

Lady Writer
Reaction score
For some reason I voted for Moria... probably because I just watched the FotR trailer again. :D
The Pelennor Fields and Helms Deep really have totally different moods. I love Helms Deep; like Ponti said its soo dark and hopeless, and I love Striders "I am waiting for the dawn" sceen . The Battle of the Pelennor fields is more glorious ( and terrible). And it is Merrys point of view so it doesn't describe every move of all the different companies. Which is a relif because I find reading that a bit boring... ekk :eek:

Last edited:

Thorondor

Indie kid to the end
Reaction score
My heart will always be in the land of sky blue wa
I had to vote for the March of the Ents, just because of how disturbing to see that take place. The others are great too, but they are mostly Orcs vs. Men, and that happens time and again. I always get chills reading the March of the Ents, its too bad that it is mostly left to one's imagination in the book:(

Greymantle

Reaction score
How do you mean "favorite?" I don't exactly think we're supposed to enjoy any of the battles... do you mean the most moving? Or the most exhilarating?

Tulkas

Reaction score
Well I don't know Greymantle. I personally did enjoy the battles. I don't know if the book was written so that we would like the battles, but I guess there are those of us that are bloodthirsty or crave action, and there are some who see the battles for the opposite reason. Although the battles are considered by many of us to be entertaining, I see what you mean.

Greymantle

Reaction score
Some battles are obviously meant to be fun, such as the fight with the spiders. Others are ehilerating- Isengard, say, while others are deeply moving, like the Battle of the Pelennor Fields. However I very much doubt we were meant to enjoy the Battle of Unnumbered Tears, for example.

Iluvatar

Reaction score
. . . which is why, even though I voted for Helm's Deep above, my favourite battle is the Battle of Unnumbered Tears. There is utter utter defeat, and yet there is incomparable heroism and - amazingly - cries of hope for the future. "Aure entulva! Day shall come again!"

Helm's Deep is my favourite of those listed, narrowly beating out the Battle of Pelennor Fields. I think it comes because I so respect the foe in this battle. The esprit de corps of the fighting Uruk-hai is admirable. The common perception of orcs is that they were craven foes who were scared into service by greater powers - kind of like Trollocs in Robert Jorjan's "Wheel of Time" - but the Uruk-hai were obviously brave warriors with a great sense of their own self-worth. Disregarding the ideological differences, I would otherwise be proud to fight beside the Uruk-hai.

Another phenomenal battle is the Battle of Azanulbizar. Are there more quietly powerful words than "he was a burned Dwarf"?

Merry

Has chubby cheeks
Reaction score
The drums!!

I love the skirmish in Moria!! Although not a grand victory and not as many heros emerge from it, it has fantastic tension and suspense and it is very dark and terrifying!

I love the far off sound of drums and the distant shrill cries and laughter. It makes me shudder every time I read that chapter.

'You shall not pass' is a great challenge to the Balrog (who was innocently caught up in the fuss while out for a stroll)and is an immense line as well.

Helms deep would be my second choice.

Thread suggestions