🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Favorite Chapter

Tao

Shôgun
Reaction score
So what's everyone's favorite chapter in the books? I like a lot, but Helm's Deep and Scouring of the Shire are some of my personal favorites.

Goro Shimura

Scribe of the Eldanyárë
Reaction score
The Scouring of the Shire is my favorite, too.

If we were going to narrow it down to my favorite paragraph... it'd be when Lobelia Sackville-Baggins (Pontifex where art thou?) is released from prison, returns Bag-End to Frodo, and wills her estate to help the poorer hobbits.

G

gamgee18

chapter

It is clear that my favourite chapter has got to be the one where Frodo is trying to escape from the nine ringwraiths over the ford. Fantastic end to the first book! However of course the chapter called mount doom is also class!

Ged

Retired
Reaction score
The Shadow of the Past, closely followed by the Bridge of Kazad Dum, closely followed by The Council of Elrond, closely followed by ...

Oh dear, I seem to have too many favourites to list.

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
can't answer with just one:

1) "Stand Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom." Cormallen?

2) The Voice of Saruman

3) The Last Debate -- where Gandalf explains better than he did at the CoE, just why we are here, and what we are doing.

4) The Battle of the Pelennor Fields -- the vision of Theoden yelling to his riders the poem, and then leading the Riders of Rohan on the field like Orome of old! And Eomer saying "Mourn not overmuch. Mighty was the fallen. When his Mound is raised, women then shall weep. War now calls us!"

Turgon

Ghost-King of Gondolin
Reaction score
My favourite chapter in LOTR is 'The White Rider' - especially the first time I read it. I was so thrilled when Gandalf returned... so I still have a great fondness for it. I also love the Appendices - not sure if that counts as a chapter though!

Diabless

Reaction score
My gut reaction is the Battle of the Pelennor Fields because it has the whole Eowyn thing.
I also really like The Shadow of the past- great contast after the party
Although everyone loves Mt. Doom, I think the whole Sehob's Lair- Sam dukes it out with Gollum and
Shelob and The Tower of Cirith Ungol when Sam rescues Frodo are th best and i guess The Choices of Master Samwise

What can I say? I love Sam!!!:rolleyes:
In Conclusion
Batttle of Pelennor Fields

evrything from Shelob's Lair to The Tower of Cirith Ungol

Eomer Dinmention

The Asian Lord
Reaction score
In the The Two Towers i think

Its the chapter when Aragorn firsts meets Eomer.

And Aragorn reveals his pass and his heraltige.

I like that

And when Rohan rides to Gondor's help once again
But thats in like the Return of the king

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
My favorite chapter is " the decisions of Mister Samwise" is so exciting!!

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
I like "The Choises of Master Samwise" as well, but I agree with King E about "The Riders of Rohan". It's a very awe-inspiring scene, and it really reveals the respect noble Men still have for the line of Elendil and the ancient Númenóreans. Yowza. :)
I also like "Strider", because of the confusion and mystery that is created by both Aragorn and the Nazgûl. "The Scouring of the Shire" is very funny: the five hobbits, supposed to be dead, arrive in war gear to torment the Chief's Men, and save the entire Shire. Hurrah!! (Also, Saruman didn't figure the whole picture out very well when he disregarded the vigor of the hobbits)

Quercus

The Last Entwife
Reaction score
I was thinking MOUNT DOOM might be my favorite chapter so I read it again to make sure.

Yep, I'm sure!

Roseberry

Reaction score
The one where Eowyn faces the Ringwraith & Merry finds the courage to help. Never can get through that one without weeping.

Niniel

Random Quoter
Reaction score
Ehm... this is a hard one!

1. The Grey Havens
2. The Houses of Healing
3. The Choices of Master Samwise
4. The Scouring of the Shire

But of course I could go on and on, which I won't do...

Tao

Shôgun
Reaction score
I also like a couple of other chapters:

1. A Flight to the Ford

2. The Grey Havens

3. The Departure of Boromir

...and finally:

4. Shortcut to Mushrooms

GladrielElf1985

Reaction score
The Battle of Pelannor Fields by far. Theoden is one of my favorite characters and I was so sad when he died. Actually I could say that everything that happened in Gondor was my favorite part of the story. So in Conclusion......The Battle of Pelannor Fields, and my second choice would be Helms Deep.:)

Thread suggestions