🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Favourite Chapter?

Favourite Chapter?

• The Shadow of the past

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • The Bridge of Khazad-dum

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • The Mirror of Galadriel

• Treebeard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Helm's Deep

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • The Taming of Smeagol

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • The Choice's of Master Samwise

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • The Battle of the Pelennor Fields

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Mount Doom

• The Scouring of the Shire

• Total voters

Bucky

Reaction score
Gary:
I have found over the years that Sam has grow on my heart, if you will.
His undying allegiance to Frodo; his never-say-die attitude; his willingness to take a back seat & serve while someone else gets noticed. His plain common sense, even if he says dumb things, did he ever do one thing where he needs to be admonished like Pippin with the, forget it, too many things come to my mind on that topic.....

Now, I was thinking of starting a thread on favorite chapters.
Like many of us who have read the Trilogy numerous times, we have the ones we like & the ones we muddle through.
I recently went through my biggest of those examples: Muddling through 'Treebeard' to get to 'The White Rider'.....

Here's the one's I most look forward to:
The Shadow of the Past
Strider
The Council of Elrond (yes, COE bashers)
The Bridge at Khazad-Dum
The White Rider
The Seige of Gondor
The Battle of the Pelannor Fields
The Land of Shadow
Mount Doom
The Scouring of the Shire

Appendixes A & B (The stories in A are cool)
That may sound weird, but the Appendixes are like a nice desert after a HUGE & delicious meal. Then, there's more......

Gary Gamgee

Mr Muckle
Reaction score
Bucky

yes of course there's more. If i had the opportunity i would have added at least another ten to this list. But even from the very first reading i have always thought that Sam was a great character. But of the only chapter i left out on the list COE should be number 11.

MOD's can i have an 11.
please

GG

Last edited:

Ragnarok

Grand Master (Funk)
Reaction score
I like the 'Scouring.' It's so, cool! You've got hobbits taking on men and half men orc things. Then Frodo banishes Saruman from the Shire. Damn! Hobbits are so cool!

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by Ragnarok
I like the 'Scouring.' It's so, cool! You've got hobbits taking on men and half men orc things. Then Frodo banishes Saruman from the Shire. Damn! Hobbits are so cool!

The battle of the plennor fields is my favourite fo me. It has everything valour, death, victory 2 name a few. Great build up 2 and finish with Aragorn coming in time.

Lindir

Reaction score
The Battle of Pelennor Field is fantastic! Just when you think that it can´t get any better, it does. I just love the way the characters really enjoys the battle.

B

belliza

What a question! I would go for The Bridge of Khazad-dum though I am likely to change my mind on that! I scene setting is brilliant, you feel like you are actually there - you can hear the drums. You most certainly can't put the book down!

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
Oh I don't know that's just too hard really. I voted for Pelennor fields because Merry and Eowyn vs the Lord of the Nazgul. But there are so many, and I love them all. Hey, I love the appendices!

My top 5, in no particular order (and this just today's top 5...!)
- Three is Company - cheery hobbit optimism mixed with growing fear
- The Uruk-Hai - Pippin is great here
- The Grey Havens - so sad!
- The Battle of the Pelennor Fields
- Flight to the Ford - top elf that Arwen. I love it when she gets her sword out and does that incantation.... What??? Why are you all booing?!!!

andromeda

Reaction score
it was a hard choice between THE CHOICES OF SAMWISE GAMGEE or MOUNT DOOM. i chose THE CHOICES because it truly got my attention. i didn't know what would happen next and it was really touching. i've probably read tht chapter 100 times

GladrielElf1985

Reaction score
I'd have to pick The Battle of Pelenor Fields, because I love it when Merry defeats the Lord of the Nazgul. I also think it is incredibly sad when Theoden dies. He was one of my favorite characters. So much that was unexpected happened in that chapter, and that is part of what makes Tolkien so great. Never fails to suprise you!

Arthur_Vandelay

Hipster Doofus
Reaction score
I'd have to say "Choices of Master Samwise"--certainly it contains the darkest moment in Lord of the Rings: Sam contemplating suicide.

Iluvatar

Reaction score
I voted for "The Bridge of Khazad-dum." Gandalf and the balrog and "You shall not pass!" (quotation may be slightly corrupted in my memory by the movie's excellent, if somewhat aberrant, depiction) just make this too dramatic for me to overlook. I used to like "The Choices of Master Samwise," but on my subsequent more nuanced readings of Samwise I have come to the realiseation that I so loathe the arsehole that is Samwise in The Two Towers that the battle bewtween him and Shelob no longer moves me quite so much.

33Peregrin

hmmm
Reaction score
I voted 'The Mirror of Galadriel'. The Lothlorien seguences have always been some of my favorites in the book. It's such a hard choice though! How can you really choose?

MY favorites:

Well, I love al the beggining hobbit stuff, and I won't list them all.
The Council Of Elrond
The Mirror of Galadriel.
Farewell to Lorien
Treebeard
Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
The Window on theWest
The Choices of Master Samwise
The Last Debate
And then all the last chapters after 'Many Partings'

But obviously that's too much... and I cannot really include all that I like!
Oh no... you shouldn't have made me touch my book... Go through it... I want to read it again..... ahhhhhh.

Elessar II

The Clark Kent of ME
Reaction score
To me it was a choice between The Battle of Pelennor Fields and Mount Doom. In the end I ended up voting for Mount Doom:
After traveling the entire journey along with Frodo and Sam, I almost saw the entire quest collapse, but, as we all know, Gollum came to the rescue (how ironic is that?) and at last, it was all over, mission accomplished! All that pent-up tension was released and I was just left with a real good feeling.

Sorry, didn't mean to get all mushy there. :eek:
But, hey! you asked! ;)

Garwen

Reaction score
Master Samwise

I liked this chapter because, In my thought, Sam put on the Ring and of his own free will decided that was not what he wanted. Again in my thoughts, No one else could do that. Not even Gandalf

Enantoiel

Reaction score
It's a difficult question because I really love all of the chapters
I voted 'Scouring..' because we see how 4 little hobbits had changed in that adventures. They learned many things: fight , save the things they own....

Thread suggestions