The Tolkien Forum

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Favourite Poem in BoLT1

Which poem is your favourite?

• You & Me

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • The Little House of Lost Play; [i]Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva[/i]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kortirion Among the Trees

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • The Trees of Kortirion

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Habbanan Beneath the Stars

• Tinfang Warble

• Over Old Hills and Far Away

• Kôr; In a City Lost and Dead

• A Song of Aryador

• Why the Man in the Moon Came Down Too Soon

• Total voters

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
There are many awe-inspiring poems in the first Book of Lost Tales. Which of them do you like most (which might be a difficult decision)?

The Trees of Kortirion is just so incredible.. It is definately my favourite poem of all these.
But I just read A Song of Aryador, and I must say it overwhelmed me with its beautiful imagery and symbolism.. All that dusk, evening and shadows.. Aaah. :cool:
But the Man in the Moon- poem is also excellently written, with lots of wonderful imagery.

Elendil3119

Reaction score
In a City Lost and Dead is my favorite poem in BoLT1. The image it creates is astounding! The Trees of Kortirion is a close second though. One of the reasons I like BoLT1 so much is because of its poetry. The actual texts are quite archaic and hard to read, but the poetry is amazing!

Niniel

Random Quoter
Reaction score
I don't really like the poetry in BOLT 1 (sorry guys!). It's quite archaic, and not in a natural way but as if JRRT deliberately looked for archaic words. It was kinda boring. So when I started reading Lays of Beleriand I was afraid I would find that boring too, but that was much better, especially the Lay of Leithian.

Inderjit S

Bootylicious
Reaction score
BoLT 1 is my least favourite of all the HoME, but the start in which Eriol lands in Eressea is beautiful and some of the early poems are great and my fave. is You and Me

Niniel

Random Quoter
Reaction score
I did love BOLT 1; the prose stories were beautiful; the description of the Trees and their destruction made me cry. but the poetry was not very interesting really.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
:eek: Burn the witch!! :D
But I agree in the sense that it felt like Tolkien used incredibly archaic and ancient terms (like flittermice for bats!) on purpose, and that he actually looked for them.. I saw this especially in the prose texts.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Made you hungry?? :confused: :rolleyes:
Hmm, buffet isn't half as bad as flittermice IMO.. Or rede = councel, advice!! :eek:
Anyway, back to topic ppl!

Maedhros

The Tall
Reaction score
The Trees of Kortirion: Mettanyë
I would not find the burning domes and sands
Where reigns the sun, nor dare the deadly snows,
Nor seek in mountains dark the hidden lands
Of men long lost to whom no pathway goes;
I heed no call of clamant bell that rings
Iron-tongued in the towers of earthly kings.
Here on the stones and trees there lies a spell
Of unforgotten loss, of memory more blest
Than mortal wealth. Here undefeated dwell
The Folk Immortal under withered elms,
Alalminórë once in ancient realms.
This really touched me. Of course a poem in Bolt I that is really interesting is Why the Man in the Moon came down too soon?, with my friend Uolë Kúvion.

Thread suggestions