🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Fellowship vs. Two Towers

StriderX

Reaction score
I just finished reading the Fellowship of the Ring, and it was awesome, it is the best book Ive ever read. I was wondering if the Two Towers is as good, or if it is better? What do you guys think?

L

legendz28

I'm not sure which is which cause I read all 3 books at once. But I didn't think FOTR was all that great besides the fact that it introduced the characters. I think TTT and TROTK were good because there was more action in them.

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by legendz28
I'm not sure which is which cause I read all 3 books at once. But I didn't think FOTR was all that great besides the fact that it introduced the characters. I think TTT and TROTK were good because there was more action in them.

My favourite would have to be Fotr cause of da Fellowship staying together and the places and info you get. The two towers is my 3rd favourite cause of the parts with gollum i find that part just a little boring. The Rotk is great ending with extreme detail. All making the bestbook ever written. The Silmarilion (from tolkien) is a great peice of writing too.

Elenciryaquen

Reaction score
Yes, TTT is as good as FotR. But personally I also liked FotR a bit better than the other 2 ... I don't know why, I think because I could feel the story building and building and building so to speak.

cortezthekiller

Reaction score
I think as a whole I like the Fellowship better. But interestingly enough, I think that Book III (In other words the first of the two "books" which make up Two Towers) is the best of all six "books". The chapters surrounding and including "Helms Deep" are my favorite in LOTR. Unfortunately, the second book of Two Towers I feel is the weakest of the six "books". Just my opinion :)

Woo

3rd lieutenant of Melkor
Reaction score
My favourite would have to be the return of the king!
Why? im not going to tell u u're just gonna have to get there and once ure there u will understand.
however TFOTR is the best book because of the sheer suspense it holds! which slowly unleashs through the TFOTR & TTT and explodes in TROTK!!

SarumansTreason

Reaction score
"The Choices of Master Samwise" is my favourite chapter... but I really don't have a favourite book. If I did, I would say book one of the FoTR. It's so scary!

B

belliza

Originally posted by cortezthekiller
I think as a whole I like the Fellowship better. But interestingly enough, I think that Book III (In other words the first of the two "books" which make up Two Towers) is the best of all six "books". The chapters surrounding and including "Helms Deep" are my favorite in LOTR. Unfortunately, the second book of Two Towers I feel is the weakest of the six "books". Just my opinion :)
I disagree - I really like Book IV and all the stuff with Gollum, I like it on an equal footing with Book III. Its good at that point to get back to the ring and the journey of Frodo and Sam. Thats just my opinion as well of course!

Rosie Cotton

Reaction score
I like FOTR a little more then I do TTT, I think it's more fast paced. But ROTK is my favorite out of the three.

DreamingDragon

Reaction score
I loved Fellowship...only took me four days to read the bloody thing. Two Towers on the other hand.....it took me almost 6 weeks and toward the middle I felt like I was going to have an aneurysm..... to me it was terribly slow, but I've heard others found it quite informative. But to understand what happens in Return of the King..you HAVE to plow thru Two Towers

Luthien

Reaction score
Yes, I have read it so fast that I can't remember what happens in each part. I don't see any differences. :(

cortezthekiller

Reaction score
QUOTE]Originally posted by Bucky
I don't get it.

I may be in the minority here, but, it's all ONE story.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, and it's also offered in three books(FOTR, TTT, ROK), which are further broken down into 6 books which are further broken down into chapters. The person who started the thread had just finished the first book, and wanted to know what to expect from the second. I think we can all agree that the STORY is great, or else we wouldn't be here.

Anyway, the person asked for opinions on whether the second book was as good as the first, and he was given opinions. I agree it is ONE story, and I don't think you're in the minority. If I caught the first half of a movie on TV, and asked you if the second half was as good as the first, would you tell me..."It's all one story."?

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I agree that it is one story.

However, you can sense Tolkien's style changing as he wrote the books. I find FOTR very lighthearted in places with more emphasis on character than big set pieces that are changing the course of ME history. ROTK on the other hand is quite a dark book with hugely important battles and moments of despair (who didn't feel their heart sink when the Voice of Sauron came out clutching Frodo's stuff?). TTT is an intermediate between these two extremes, with humour and sadness, so that is why I like it the best.

It's a bit artificial to break it so cleanly into 3 (or 6) books, but they do roughly correspond to the changes in tone in my humble opinion.

Does that make sense? :confused:

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
The LotR is one story. The FotR, TT and RotK are all parts of the story. The books (2/part) are bits of the books. :)
So if you are asking which of the books I like most, I would have a hard time answering that because I have always read the LotR either as a whole or as three parts. I think the best *part* is TT, but I can't really say why.. Hm, odd..
Legolam, so you think that the RotK is sad?? I think it is the contrary, at least for the most part. The last four or five chapters are devoted to cheerful and gleeful moments; and although the destruction of the Ring and its immediate aftermath is quite touching, at least the Frodo+Sam- situation, I think the RotK is quite 'happy', overall. (Let's not forget the Scouring of the Shire!)

Welcome to the forum, DreamingDragon! :) Have a blast.

Anarchist

The Eternal Champion
Reaction score
In my opinion, the best is TTT. But that's because I like Sam most of all characters and in TTT he really shows his heroism. I believe that reading one of the books really makes you reading the rest. I mean after finishing TTT who doesn't want to see what will happen next with Sam and Frodo?

Thread suggestions