🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Flight to the Ford

StriderX

Reaction score
When reading Flight to the Ford, I found some differences between the book and the movie. In the movie, Liv Tyler saves Frodo while she rides on the white horse with Frodo across the Ford. In the book, it is a male that saves Frodo, and Frodo rides the horse by himself across the Ford. I was just curious if there is a character like Liv Tyler's character in the novel? Thanks for the help. The book is amazing!

Kit Baggins

Thain Kit I
Reaction score
Arwen (Liv Tyler's character) has a very minor part in the books- but then, there are no particularly big female parts anyway. They changed it in the film so it didn't seem as sexist.

~Kit :p

Rosie Cotton

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum StriderX! :D

The only real similarity between Arwen in the movie, and Arwen in the book is that she is in love with Aragorn. There really aren't any characters in the book that are like the Arwen in the movies.

You might want to check out this

thread:http://www.thetolkienforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=764

It talks about all the made in the movies. You might find it interesting.

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Awwww c'mon Kit, they didn't bring Arwen in so they wouldn't appear sexist, they brought her in to attract the male audience. Of course, I would have gone anyway, but I know a bunch of young men who might not have been so enthusiastic about seeing the movie, except for a certain Elf Princess by the name of Liv Tyler er um I mean Arwen Evenstar!!;)

Aldanil

mad about mallorn
Reaction score
And the way that the movie so subtly introduces "Arwen the Elf" (as she's called on the special Glass Goblets of Burger King) to us, by having her suddenly put the point of a sword into her beloved's ear as he stoops in the woods to gather athelasfor wounded Frodo, can surely only enhance both our confidence in Aragorn's alertness and the dignity of an Elven princess thirty centuries old, don't you think? Bright Evenstar the warrior-babe, Undomiel the hotty!

:mad:

Last edited:
R

ReadWryt

If you have not allready, you should check out the threads having to do with Helms Deep photos from the film. Nothing get MY blood pressure rising faster then pictures of Arwen on Horseback surrounded by Orcs swinging a sword over her head, or beaten and bruised presumably from having been in battle. The "Flight to the Ford" was only a taste of the heroism that can be wrought by the youngest and most protected of Elrond's children and her remarkable command of her sword, which of course EVERY elf must have training in using...

It was just more hollywood claptrap and catering to the Demographics instead of the Story...

Greenwood

The Guild of Ost-in-Edhil
Reaction score
pictures of Arwen on Horseback surrounded by Orcs swinging a sword over her head,
ReadWryt

Do you have a link for these pictures? I certainly haven't seen them and I thought I had checked out the various links.

[Later edit by Greenwood]

Just zipped over to the film section to double check those Helm's Deep pictures. I can't seem to find a single one of Arwen surrounded by orcs swinging a sword over her head or anything even vaguely like it. ReadWryt, do you have some links that are not posted over there? Or have I missed them entirely?

Last edited:

daisy

Reaction score
re: photographs

There is a website - either onering or lord of the rings.com or something, where they have pages and pages of still shots from all three films, and they organise it book by book. I think there is a link on a thread somewhere in FOTR film thread???? Anyway, there were a couple photos of Arwen at Helm's Deep but she is not wielding a sword in these. Also some good White Rider shots and Voice of Saruman, etcetera. Pretty good photos, but they are kind-of spoilers....

If I find exact location i will come back and post it.

Greenwood

Reaction score
Grond

I love hearing that something is "almost unquestionable" but there is no proof. It leaves me feeling that I am absolutely certain that I am uncertain. :)

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Ah Greenwood, I will accept your sarcasm with a grain of salt because I can see from your post that you haven't visited the cite. If you had you would read their evidence and agree with me. A picture is fairly conclusive evidence but so are interviews with the actors, character summaries taken from official movie documents and the like. Make of it what you will, I was responding to what I read and offering my opinion. I guess I should have left out the latter.:(

R

ReadWryt

Greenwood,

Here is where I get "poo poo'ed" as extracting more from pictures then is humanly available. The first picture I submit is this shot of Arwen riding away from the fray...If you look closely you can see it is her, and that is the tack and harnessing for her horse. Exhibit A Please note the Gold Clasps (Presumably for holding a cape of some sort) on the shoulders of both individuals (Exhibits A&B) and the fact that the outfit in this photo is similar if not identical (Hard to tell in this picture) to the one she is wearing in Exhibit C.

This second photo is the "iffy" one, but I am at least 85% certain that the dark haired, fair skinned person on the White Horse with head gear identical to the one in the first photo off to the right of this splendid shot of Gandalf the White is indeed Arwen. Exhibit B

Now on to the Results of this activity. What is an Elven Warrior Princess to do in the field of battle without a score of Makeup artists to "Fix" her up after a hard battle? Well, here you see what happens when you can't "Freshen Up" after a long hard fight with the powers of evil. Exhibit C An image I picked up from _Here_ , a site which has put the many images they have collected in chronological order according to when they happen in the books.

I've poured over these things in Photoshop, used every trick I know to clean them up and am still working on them, and should I make any headway I might post the cleaned up versions some place and make them available.

lilhobo

Retired
Reaction score
Originally posted by Greenwood
Grond

I love hearing that something is "almost unquestionable" but there is no proof. It leaves me feeling that I am absolutely certain that I am uncertain. :)
seems to be a trait of this forum if u dont mind me saying :D

whos using photoshop to blow up and convict poor arwen elven warrior princess???

oh my gosh, you are re defining NPWs lol :D

Greenwood

Reaction score
Ah Greenwood, I will accept your sarcasm with a grain of salt because I can see from your post that you haven't visited the cite. If you had you would read their evidence and agree with me.
Grond

You make an unwarranted assumption. :) I visited the site you cite (sorry, the pun was irresistible) and carefully read it before posting. I found it unconvincing. It has lots of rumors and also contradictory reports. (I notice there are references there to rumors about Arwen joining the Fellowship or being in Moria with them. I would say the rumor mill for these films has a less than 100% record of accuracy.) Besides even if there was proof that they filmed Arwen fighting at Helm's Deep, that is not proof that she will be doing it in the final film. Did you ever see the movie Fatal Attraction with Michael Douglas and Glenn Close? In the version first filmed, Glenn Close commits suicide with a knife that has Michael Douglas's finger prints on it and the film ends with him being arrested for her murder. Rather different that the released version with Glenn Close being shot by Douglas's wife after breaking in and attacking them. The point is that, as you say even if PJ shot the scenes, which I don't see conclusive proof of, it is still unknown if they will actually appear in the final picture.

ReadWryt

I had seen all of the pictures you cite. Exhibit A is probably (though not conclusively) Arwen, though I cannot tell if that is a battle scene she is riding through. Exhibit B is indeed a battle scene and I will admit I did not notice the figure you refer to off to the right, but this figure is far less conclusively Arwen than even the inconclusive exhibit A. Exhibit C to me looks like a publicity still rather than an actual shot from the movie. I also not that therre are no gold clasps on the outfit that you pointedly refer to in exhibits A and B. Finally, let me grant for a moment that you are correct in Exhibits A and B being Arwen. None of them match your initial contention of "pictures of Arwen on Horseback surrounded by Orcs swinging a sword over her head". I asked you for a link because you have a habit of getting carried away by your opinions and making declarations of fact that you later have difficulty substantiating. (I sincerely hope this does not get me a first strike as a personal attack. :( )

Two final points. First, I do not know if Arwen is going to be at Helem's Deep (fighting or otherwise) in the second movie or not. It does not appear to me that anyone, with the possible exception of Peter Jackson and his immediate co-workers know that for sure. I am willing to wait and see at the end of the year. I am unwilling to spend the next eleven months losing sleep over a rumor. If it turns out to be true, I will wait to see the actual movie to see whether it does any irreparable harm to the spirit of the story. Two, Walter is right, this whole thread should probably be moved to the film section.

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Ahhhh Greenwood, we all do get worked up in these discussions, don't we! In my second to last post I stated, "The uncertainty is only if PJ will use them." I didn't list every site (thanks for correcting me) that I went to which hardened my opinion but regardless of my findings I can assure you sleep won't be lost. I will again go into the theatre with a closed mind (that is closing it to any memories of the book) and fully enjoy every single scene, especially those Liv Tyler is in. I love her and can watch her all day. The movie will be great for a movie and then I'll come home and get out my book The Two Towers and nitpick the movie apart. Get it..... I'll enjoy the Movie, I'll enjoy the book again, and I'll then enjoy NPW the whole thing on this forum. I will acknowledge that film is a different medium than the book and then tell everyone exactly how I felt is should have been filmed. 'Cause that's what this forum is all about.:)

Greenwood

Reaction score
I will again go into the theatre with a closed mind (that is closing it to any memories of the book) and fully enjoy every single scene, especially those Liv Tyler is in. I love her and can watch her all day. The movie will be great for a movie and then I'll come home and get out my book The Two Towers
Grond, O mighty hammer, we are in agreement. :)

In my second to last post I stated, "The uncertainty is only if PJ will use them." I didn't list every site (thanks for correcting me)
I did indeed note your uncertainty and refer to it in the last sentence of the section of my post that responded to you. And I did not mean my pun as a correction, but just as a pun. In fact I had to edit it twice to correct my own misspellings. :) :)

R

ReadWryt

This is the last posting on the subject of the movie I will make here, and I offer this only as what it is, more dffinition to the question at hand...at least where my statements have been concerned.

I submit this image, which I have made from Exhibit A and B and which I have done nothing more then Crop, enlarge and run a "Despeckling" routine on as they were enlarged (Making minor "Blurriness" around the harder edges of the image and then reducing the total effect by 50% with each enlargement untill they were each over 10000 pixels tall), and then an incrimental Sharpen Edges function as I reduced them via a few steps, each time sharpening a tiny bit to eek out the higher contrast portions from the JPEG aliasing...

Attachments

Thread suggestions