🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

"Friends" and you (but no spoilers please!)

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
OK, this is totally Tolkien-unrelated, but it seemed relevant to the Periaur and I'm just damn curious (and I have a major exam soon, so I'm procrastinating).

The tenth series of "Friends" is about to end in the UK (on Friday in fact) and I wanted to know if it has had an impact on you. We are in the prime age group for viewing "Friends" and I'm sure many of us have followed the fortunes of Ross, Rachel (will they, won't they?!), Monica, Chandler, Phoebe and Joey over the years. What do they mean to you? Do their lives mirror yours? Or has your life changed because of them? What will you do when it finishes (or what are you doing now that it has finished!!)?

Personally, I feel that "Friends" has defined a major part of my life. I've been watching it for about 6 or 7 years now, and every night that there's nothing on the TV, I sit and watch another couple of episodes on DVD. I've seen them all at least once, and my boyfriend and I quote them constantly. It's actually not as sad as it sounds, as it makes for a wonderful secret code when out in company. We can communicate in "Chandlerisms" and "Joeyisms" without anyone having a clue what we're talking about.

What am I going to do on Friday? Well, my life will go on but I'm sure gonna miss having an excuse to sit in on a Friday night with a bottle of wine and a new episode of "Friends".

Elbereth

Star Queen of Valinor
Reaction score
It may come as no surprise that my life now mirror the lives of the crew from Friends. When it first started, I looked at the lives of these characters and wished I could be them. Then I actually moved to New York...and before I knew it my life became very similar to Monica, Rachel and Pheobe.

I've dated guys, like the guys they have dated...I've visited a Central Perk-like place frequently...and my friend's and I come up with unusual catch phrases that only we get.

As the final episodes of Friends aired here in New York...my friends and I were front and center at our televisions...anticipating each momment. We even spent time contemplating who was who....It was determined that I was Pheobe(...I'm a little too weird to be Rachel) And we all made our predictions if Rachel and Ross would get together in the end....I was so right!

Anyway...I could go on...but alas I'm in the office and I'm afraid I'll get in trouble if I stay on the forum any longer...so I'll continue on this topic later.

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Ah, the last episode aired here tonight. It's so weird that there's not going to be any more. But I think it was a good time to stop - this series definitely hasn't been the best.

Thread suggestions