🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Frodo as Gilligan, distant relation of Gog (and Magog)

H

Harad

It struck me that the overlap between JRRT's life and the "Gilligan's Island" show was more than coincidental. LOTR was written in the fifties while GI debuted in the 60's but, I argue, they both drew from the same traditions: the Holy Bible, Norse Mythology, and "Robinson Crusoe." In both you have a Fellowship. The parallels are clear: the Skipper is Boromir, Thurston Howell and Lovey are Aragorn and Arwen, the Perfessor is Gandalf and so on...

But the parallels between Frodo and Gilligan are downright eerie. Most importantly Gilligan like Frodo is depended upon to save the Fellowship--and the rest of their world as far as they know it. Gilligan is constantly striving yet occasionally failing--e.g. trying to build a raft out of banana leaves and subsequently sinking in the lagoon is very reminiscent of Frodo putting the Ring on at Amon Hen. The Skipper (Boromir) calls Gilligan "Little Buddy," a clear code for "Halfling." Once when Gilligan is climbing a coconut tree, he falls and hits his head. Ginger (Merry) and Maryanne (Pippen) rush to his aid, but find that his head is harder (Mithril coat) than the coconut.

As far as Gog and Magog:

They said: 'O Zul-qarnain! the Gog and Magog (People) do great mischief on earth: shall we then render thee tribute in order that thou mightest erect a barrier between us and them?'
I dont have a clue. But maybe somebody out there does.

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
the only parallel I can think of are two separate episodes. The one episode Gilligan finds seeds that allow a person to read someone else's mind (like the ring gives invisibility). He of course in the end learns how this corrupts everyone, and is the first to reject the seeds.

The other episode is where Gilligan finds a radioactive rock, is already building a bathtub lined with lead. They use the lead to make a shield around the rock. Ok there is no parallel there, but it was a neat episode.

There was an episode where Gilligan becomes invisible. I don't remember much about it though.

Another I remember was Gilligan trying to get the homing pigeon away from the spider in the cave. That spider looked eerily like Shelob.

Still another episode was when the Russian cosmonauts landed in the lagoon. They tried to use the ship to be saved, by drugging the cosmonauts with vodka. Kind of like Bilbo getting the elves to drink so he could put the dwarves into the barrels.

Ginger=Galadriel
MaryAnn=Arwen

HAHA!

H

Harad

One entity's "sarcasm" is another's serious discussion. I find the Frodo-Gilligan parallel much more compelling than Gollum-Grendl (the tiny green sneak thief who dances himself to oblivion, vs. the large green monster killed in hand-to-hand combat with the hero), for example.

Greenwood

The Guild of Ost-in-Edhil
Reaction score
Harad

I think you have a stronger case than the Frodo/Sam are gay threads. :)

Donnie B

This is the sarcasm smiley: :rolleyes:

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
and *I* always wondered about Ginger and MaryAnn

lilhobo

Retired
Reaction score
Originally posted by Donnie B.
This forum really, really needs a 'sarcasm' font.

this is freakin outrageous!!!! how can this pitiful harad, be allowed to belittle Gilligan!!! apart from the fact that Gilligan and the SKipper were obviously gay, harad is insinuating that Ginger and Maryanne were a couple of transvestites!!!

come on people, LOTR may have been a good book, but Gilligan is sacred!!!!

down harad, you worm !!!!

oh yeah, and the harlem globetrtotters were ugluk and grishnak!!!

Thread suggestions