🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Funniest and Saddest Times

andromeda

Reaction score
what did you think were th saddest and funniest part of the books? it can be any of the ones of the trilogy.

the saddest i think was in "The Two Towers" when Sam thought Frodo was dead (because of shelob, that's it's name right?). and he couldn't decide whether to leave him or to stay with him. i cried at that part and only at that part.

the funniest i think was in "The Return of the King" when Merry is in the House of the Healing and Aragorn is trying to cure him, He is on the edge of dying and he wakes up and says "Where's supper, I'm hungry" or something along those lines.

whew! talk about your ultimate run-on sentence

bunnywhippit

Reaction score
The saddest part for me, was right at the end. A) The book was at an end - woe! and B) Frodo, Gandalf & company all leaving, it was so poignant. Even though things were sorted out, everything had to change, it was so bittersweet. I just finished up reading LOTR yesterday actually, and the emotions of it are still rippling over me somewhat.

The funniest part, for me was in FotR, The Ring Goes South pg. 303 (i opened it right at the page, how about that?!). It's where Sam mutters to Frodo about thinking Redhorn was "that Fiery Mountain" :

"I thought at first that this here Redhorn, or whatever its name is, might be it, till Gimli spoke his piece. A fair jaw-cracker dwarf-language must be!"

That had me laughing out loud, i can imagine it perfectly. :D

Andromeda, i loved those two parts too! I can't wait to see how that Shelob scene is protrayed in the film. Anyway, it really is a heartbreaking moment! And Merry - LOL! How typical!

SarumansTreason

Reaction score
Well, I agree, the saddest part is "The Choices of Master Samwise".

I know this is in the movie, but it was the best addition and it was so funny! "It comes in pints?"

In the book, the funniest part was anything with Smeagol arguing with Sam.

Rian

Reaction score
I too think the saddest part in the book is when Sam thinks that Frodo is dead.

For me, the funniest part of the book was when they were taking a bath in Crickhollow and Pippin got water all over the floor.

B

belliza

I too agree that the Choices of Samwise is the saddest

The funniest bit I can remeber of the top of my head (and I have just finished rereading TTT so that book is freshest in my mind) is the bit when Faramir says to Gollum that he has stolen a fish and that is punishable by death (or something like that) and Gollum drops the fish and says "Don't want fish"

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
The funniest part of the book is when Gollum says "don't want fish". Cracks me up! The saddest is right at the very end, when Sam says - "well, I'm back". Sniff sniff

Lindir

Reaction score
The saddest moment the first time I read the book was when Gandalf died in Moria. For obvious reasons this wasn´t as sad on the subsequent reads. Instead it would almost have to be The Gray Havens. That is truly moving.
I don´t think I´ve ever laughed out lout at anything in the books, but I think the orc-slaying contest of Gimli and Legolas is kind of fun. And in general the hobbits are funny, especially Merry and Pippin.

Kit Baggins

Thain Kit I
Reaction score
I mthink the funniest bit is when Sam offers to cook Gollum fish and chips, and Gollum says something like "give me fissh *now*, and keep nassty chips!" That always makes me laugh :D .
The saddest bit is definately The Choices of Samwise. I really thought Frodo was dead the first time I read it :( .

~Kit :p

Tyaronumen

Agent of the West
Reaction score
I definitely think that The Grey Havens is the saddest part of the book... "bittersweet" is definitely the perfect description for it. Helped me to truly appreciate the transience of all in a way that had up to that point been merely theoretical.

daisy

Reaction score
For me, the saddest part of the trilogy was not a part exactly, but the fact the even with all the elven magic, and the friendships in the shire, and the love and respect from people - Frodo was never the same - he never emotionally recovered from his ordeal. He always seemed to be sad and tired.

For me, I found it funny how the hobbits were not even known to be alive or in existence, so everyone who was seeing them for the first time would have an observation - like small children, miniature people...i just love hobbits...

daisy hobbit loving bloom:p

D

Durin's Bain

The Scouring of the Shire

While maybe not funny, but definately a heart warming tale. The four hobbits return to the Shire and to their dismay it is overrun with bandits and ruffians. They display very un-hobbitlike characteristics and put things right in the Shire.

Rosie Cotton

Reaction score
For me one of the saddest moments is just after Eowyn kills the king of the nazgul. When Theoden is lying there dying, and he tells Merry, how he's sorry he won't have the chance to discuss herb-lore with him like he promised. And how he tells Eomer, to tell Eowyn he loves her more then a daughter, while Eowyn is lying 10 ft. away herself. LOTR is a sad book. :(

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
I agree with you all, the saddest part is "The Choices of Mister Samwise" when he thinks that frodo is dead, also the part were frodo an Sam were taken to Minas Tirith and they heard they own lay it was very excited.
The funniest... mmm Perigrin Took and Maese Gandalf, at Moira, and riding to Minas Tirith

Evenstar

Reaction score
I also think the Grey Havens is the saddest part because th book is over and all the magic of ME is leaving. I don't know which I think is the funniest part but I'll think about it and get back to you.

EverEve

Back from a long hiatus
Reaction score
for me the funniest part was when merry was in the infirmary(or watever its called) and is complaining about loosing his pipe/weed. aragorn states that he wont go looking for pipe weed for a careless soldier who has misplaced his baggage. his pack ended up being rite next to him.

for me the saddest part was also when sam thought frodo was dead..i was seriously close to tears:(

Luthien

Reaction score
Yes,

i also think that when Sam thinked that Frodo was dead, but another very sad part is when the felowship enters Moria and they find Balin's tomb.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
This should be a poll! :)
I also think that The Choises of Master Samwise was the most touching and sad moment, or at least one of the greatest. Another, I think, is when Frodo realizes Bilbo is gone. But there are many others, like the death of Háma at Helm's Deep, the death of Théoden; and in some ways the death of Gríma Wormtongue.
Most of Gollum's lines are also very funny (the best being: "Don't want fish"), but at the same time he is a very tragic and pitiable character. But there are so many funny parts in the book, I'll have to rack my brain.. Ok, the funniest bit, IMHO, is when Pippin drops the stone and Gandalf glares at him. They have such a marvelous love-hate relationship! :D
Another lovely scene in the book is when Sam jumps up at the Council of Elrond, and afterwards he says, "A right fix we've landed in, Mr. Frodo." Or something like that. LOL

btw, Welcome Lúthien, EverEve, Belliza and Lindir! It's amazing how many new names pop up in 24 hours!

Anarchist

The Eternal Champion
Reaction score
I believe that the choices of samwise was a very sad part but deep in my thoughts I knew Frodo was not dead. The Grey Havens is the saddest part. Sam, after following Frodo through hell and back, stays alone, and everything is over. The taste is indeed bittersweet.
The funniest part is the one with Gollum and the fish:D

Thread suggestions