🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Funniest part of the Hobbit

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
What is the funniest part of the Hobbit?

1) Bilbo squeeks like a train
2) The dwarves fall in the door like a pop-gun
3) Bombur and all of the fat jokes
4) The whole company runs out of the way of an avalanche of rocks
5) Bilbo makes Balin look like a drunk watch gaurd
6) Thorin says he must take on the Necromancer
7) Bilbo hides the Arkenstone like it was crack
8) Fili and Kili get killed (ok not funny)
9) The dragon says "antiquated"
10) The dwarves piss of Beorn so bad when they come in the door two by two (there was originally a different, horrible ending to the book at this point)
11) Gollum screams as Bilbo leaps over him (again, originally a different ending involving Bilbo becoming a feast for Gollum)
12) The Goblin king gets killed (whoopieeee!)
13) Bilbo finds out the Apple Barrels don't float (too late sorry Thorin)
14) Smaug realizes his chink in the armor needs repairing before he goes to Dale
15) Roac son of Carc says "NEVERMORE"
16) Bombur eats the snail (ok enough fat jokes)
17) The point where the dwarves and Bilbo taste the dark squirrel of Mirkwood (my personal favorite, just look at those expressions!)
18) Bilbo accidently sucks one of those spiders into his mouth as he climbs above the roof of the forest
19) Gandalf gets pissed and blows the green door in, flattening Bilbo
20) Chip the dishes and crack the plates, that's what Bilbo Baggins hates ('nough said)

Some of these were true, and some names were changed to protect the innocent...

:D

Lord Aragorn

King of Gondor
Reaction score
The funniest part of The Hobbit is Thorin. He was going to fight Bards army AND Thranduils with only 13 dwarves and 1 hobbit. That cracks me up and shows that Thorin was getting a little old and beginning to lose it.

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
Thorin was friggin insane. I guess he thought he was important because he was outside when the dragon originally took Erebor and he used a stick to fend off Orc blades in the war of the dwarves and Orcs.

But ok, he decides he wants to repay everything for old problems, and he says lets get the dragon and the necromancer too.

I think Bilbo making the big spiders mad is pretty funny. Lazy cop adder cop or whatever.

I always thought it would be funny to see all of the dwarves and Gandalf running down a hill with rocks coming after them in an avalanche.

Its a clear day with little wind, what could be better than flying?

Ragnarok

Grand Master (Funk)
Reaction score
Thorin was good, but I like 'Crack the dishes, chip the plates.' Its one of my favorite songs.

Meklos

Reaction score
I thought that the funniest part of the books was at the very beginning, when Gandalf meets Bilbo

"Sorry, I don't want any adventures, thank you. Not today. Good Morning!"

I liked how Bilbo used "good-morning" for just about anything, as Gandalf commented on.

C

Curufinwe

Nah the funniest bits when he goes into a spasm after all the dwarves arrive at his house and use up all his inventory.

R

ReadWryt

As many times as I have read the book, I found myself laughing out loud at Gandalf in the very beginning when I was reading it three nights ago. "To think that I should lived long enough to be good-morninged by Belladonna Took's son, as if i was selling buttons at the door!". Bahaha I remember that there was a time shortly after high school when I couldn't read that without hearing John Gielgud as Gandalf.

L

LeGoLaSgIrL21

Rosie Cotton

tee hee! i haven't read that before! thanks anyways!

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
:)
MaYbE iF iT wAs WrItTeN lIkE tHiS yOu WoUlD rEaD iT?

Bombur

Reaction score
I am the funniest part of The Hobbit! And my funniest scene was when I was knocked into the black river in Mirkwood. It is just too bad I wasn't awake to see all the other Dwarves drag me through the forest. And to think, the whole time, they were starving, and I was dreaming about food! :D

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
For me the funniest part is when Bilbo rescued the dwarves from the spiders and they thank him and even though they were all tired they made each a huge bow " At your service me and all my next generations" and after that they were so tired that fell down :D

Nimawae's hope

Born at a very early age
Reaction score
I love the part when the Dwarves are climbing out of their barrels and complaining about how they never want to see an apple again. It cracks me up the way Bilbo whines right back at them. Of course the other funny part was when they were getting into the barrels. And (What else) WHINING their off!!:D

S

Silmiel

I personally love the part when Bilbo looses his brass buttons squeezing through the door of the troll-cave. You would think our hero would deserve a more noble exit, but nooooooooo... all the beautiful brass buttons on his waistcoat are given as a farewell present to the goblins. ;) Pop!

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I love the bit when Bilbo, who loves making long speeches, can only say "Thag you very buch" to the lake men after catching a cold on the barrel! ;)

baraka

Elven Craftsmen
Reaction score
Funniest part

I have to say that the part that i find the most funny is when Bilbo makes Balin look like a drunk watch gaurd.
When Balin says to Bilbo that he is at his service and Bilbo replies: Your servant, Mr. Baggins.

G

greypilgrim

funny parts in the Hobbit

I laughed loud when Bilbo was coming up with all sorts of names for himself to answer Smaug's question.."Who are you and where do you come from?" And Bilbo goes on and on and then..."That's better! But don't let your imagination run away with you!"
That was too funny!!:D

ssgrif

Sheppard of the forest
Reaction score
Lofty place a few days walk from Amon Sul
I like the bit at the beginning when the dwarves and Gandalf basically took over poor Bilbo's hobbit hole. Bilbo getting flustered and anooyed with the dwarves eating his larder clean.

Funny that even though he was getting flustered and annoyed with them, he still went on the adventure with them...

tee hee

G

greypilgrim

that same night, at the words "may never come back", Bilbo shriveled on the floor and repeated "struck by lightning! struck by lightning!"

Prince Legolas

Armed and dangerous
Reaction score
If I had to choose one funiest part, it would have to be the Barrel scene, though I agree with all the rest.

Thread suggestions