🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Get to know your fellow Periaur, permission to get 'off topic' granted.

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
Yeah, the same goes with this cursed computer! :( Whenever it is broken, or when I'm away, I have a wonderful time spending the whole day outside playing sports, hooning around at the beach, or getting into mischief. But during times like now, I spend many hours sitting in front of this thing, talking to the same people over MSN when I could be outside putting better use to my time.

Arg! Sometimes I wonder if these computers are beneficial to mankind...

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
I managed not to visit TTF for nearly a month now, but that has more to do with computer failure during the days I actually had time to read up on everything I've been missing. And off course, the longer you've been away, the more there is to catch up with. *sigh*

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
Yeah, I hate that horrible feeling I get when I click on 'New Posts' after I've been away for a while. Hundreds of posts that just have to be read. :(
Although there aren't as many these days as there was when I joined (Probably because Wonks isn't doing her rounds anymore ;) ).

Elbereth

Star Queen of Valinor
Reaction score
Well, now that the super-ober posters have slowed down or stopped posting altogether...the forum has been moving at a much slower pace.

Let's bow our heads and give a momment of silence to the super posters that are no longer with us...or have since passed onto the real world which keeps them from posting here with us at the speeds we are used to.

Anamatar
Ulairi
Nenya
Wonko
YayGollum
Elgee
EverEve
Tar Alcalime
Grond

You are missed

Darkknight

Honourable Periaur
Reaction score
Elbereth said:
Well, now that the super-ober posters have slowed down or stopped posting altogether...the forum has been moving at a much slower pace.

Let's bow our heads and give a momment of silence to the super posters that are no longer with us...or have since passed onto the real world which keeps them from posting here with us at the speeds we are used to.

Anamatar
Ulairi
Nenya
Wonko
YayGollum
Elgee
EverEve
Tar Alcalime
Grond

You are missed
Hello, fellow Periaurs, I'm new here, do you wish to talk, or shall dust gather on our thread?

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
OK OK, since you've mad such an effort to get these old threads going, I feel I should respond!

I, in true Periaur fashion, feel really awful today because of self-inflicted reasons. I can usually cope with this, but today I had an anatomy exam which meant spending half an hour staring and poking at bits of dead bodies. It was horrible, but I got a decent mark :rolleyes: . But the moral of the story is - don't go to a "wine tasting party" when you have anatomy in the morning :D

Darkknight - why don't you tell us a bit about yourself ...

Darkknight

Honourable Periaur
Reaction score
Legolam said:
OK OK, since you've mad such an effort to get these old threads going, I feel I should respond!

I, in true Periaur fashion, feel really awful today because of self-inflicted reasons. I can usually cope with this, but today I had an anatomy exam which meant spending half an hour staring and poking at bits of dead bodies. It was horrible, but I got a decent mark :rolleyes: . But the moral of the story is - don't go to a "wine tasting party" when you have anatomy in the morning :D

Darkknight - why don't you tell us a bit about yourself ...
That's a good moral, at the least.

Well, I'm Richard, and I live in California which is in the US. I have read the LOTR novels and I enjoyed the films. Gandalf and Treebeard are my favourite characters. I also like Star Wars and Star Trek. I like to read, sketch, and daydream on my spare time when I'm not online. Classical, New Age, international music and indie rock are my favourite types of music. Pastas, vegetables and fruit juices are my favourite foods.

I'm currently a student. History and social sciences in general are my favourite topic, but art is a second.

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
Corr blimey! Almost all the Guilds have been archived! :eek:
Lucky I got that debating tournament done when we still had enough Guilds around the place, eh? ;)
Ah well, the Periaur is still here. Hopefully we can stick around for a bit longer too. :p

Hannah- you are crazy. I can handle killing animals and dissecting them- but I would be no use with dead human bodies! Even if I hadn't drunk excess amounts of alcohol the night before... (no surprise that you had been drinking the night before. Admit it- you go to wine-tasting "courses" every night. Don't you!? ;) )
One of my mates is studying dentistry, and has told me how bad it is working with dead humans. Most of the students in his course can't bare to look at the eyes of the "patients" so they cover them with a cloth. Anyway, after hearing what they do with the bodies I have decided that it wouldn't be a good idea to donate my body to science. Just imagining people like Hannah attacking me with a scalpel is scary! :p

Welcome to the Guild, Richard. Hope you stick around for a while. :)

33Peregrin

hmmm
Reaction score
Legolam said:
One of my best friends had to do that for her anatomy class. It sounds disgusting, but cool at the same time. Did it smell bad? :p Uhhh... it creeps me out thinking about it, but sounds kinda cool. :D

Darkknight

Honourable Periaur
Reaction score
Aulë said:
Corr blimey! Almost all the Guilds have been archived! :eek:
Lucky I got that debating tournament done when we still had enough Guilds around the place, eh? ;)
Ah well, the Periaur is still here. Hopefully we can stick around for a bit longer too. :p

Welcome to the Guild, Richard. Hope you stick around for a while. :)
I will, and I would hate to see this guild archived too. Out of the remaining guilds this one was the one I liked most. I hope I didn't clutter this board with posts when I was granted membership. :D

By the way, that human dissection sounds ill...

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
33Peregrin said:
One of my best friends had to do that for her anatomy class. It sounds disgusting, but cool at the same time. Did it smell bad? :p Uhhh... it creeps me out thinking about it, but sounds kinda cool. :D
Actually, it's not as bad as it sounds. Our university doesn't let us do dissection, so all the bodies are pre-dissected (prosected is the technical term). Basically, we just get to look and poke about in our anatomy practicals. I hate looking at the hands and face (I've never actually had the guts to look at the face of a body - there's a page in my textbook I can't look at because of that), but the rest of it doesn't look human, so it's not so bad. You're right about the smell though - it's awful. It's just getting into summer here, so the anatomy room is heating up nicely and they need to use more formaldehyde than usual - that's the worst bit of it all.

By the way, I hope this discussion is deemed "safe" for TTF. I know it's a bit gross for a lot of people, but I think it's a valid discussion. Too many people are disgusted by death and dissection and stuff, and I think it's a good idea to let them know exactly what we do. It's just an educational tool, like books or live patients. Loads of people find it really interesting, but I detest it, mainly because I can't remember all the stupid names of the body!

Elbereth

Star Queen of Valinor
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with this convo. And considering that it is in the "permission to get off topic thread", I say go for it!

And if you are concerned about grossing people out simply add a disclaimer at the beginning of your post...that should suffice. ;)

33Peregrin

hmmm
Reaction score
Legolam said:
You're right about the smell though - it's awful. It's just getting into summer here, so the anatomy room is heating up nicely and they need to use more formaldehyde than usual - that's the worst bit of it all.
So they actually brought it to your school or whatever? Wow, our school wouldn't let them do that. The people in the anatomy class had to go to some place just to look at the bodies. Yeah, it sounds really gross. The friend I mentioned earlier talked about some having cancer and stuff, and seeing their black lungs and tumors. :eek: Gross! And touching the intestines and everything. Gross!

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Well, I'm at medical school at Edinburgh Uni so we have an anatomy department based there. Edinburgh has a long tradition of anatomical discoveries and the medical school here is one of the oldest in the world. It's a pretty cool place to study with all that history! Here's a picture of one of our lecture theatres: http://www.mvm.ed.ac.uk/history/history5.htm

At school, the closest we got to doing anything cool was when our Biology teacher brought in a sheep's heart and lungs that she bought out of the butcher's and dissected for us. I also saw a dissection of a bull's eye when I was on holiday in California, but you're not allowed to do that here because of BSE.

33Peregrin

hmmm
Reaction score
I've never gotten to do any of that stuff. The only thing I've disected in my life is owl barf, and I found a mouse skull which you could open and close it's jaw... But I've never gotten to do anything exciting. I need to take an anatomy class so I can do something like that. Maybe next year!

Niniel

Random Quoter
Reaction score
We had to disect some animals in biology class in high school; a cow's eye, a lamb's heart and a shellfish. It was a long time ago (10 years or so) and since then I haven't done any disecting. I studied history, so that's not very surprising.

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
Aulë's list of dissected animals:
-Goat
-Pig
-Sheep
-Cow
-Chicken
-Quokka
-Rat
-Mouse
-Toad
-Frog
-Cat
-Ostrich
-Kangaroo
-Various types of fish

Ahh, the joys of studying Animal Science...
If any of you can remember the vet on the Simpsons throwing the dead guinea pig through a basketball ring over a bin, then I can assure you that I have done the same with assorted goat organs! :p

Anyway, I'm still not as hardcore as Hannah. Only a crazed Scotswoman could take delight in hacking up humans...;)

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Hey, I don't delight in it - I detest it. It's gross and horrible and smelly and gross. However, it's an essential part of my course, so unfortunately I have to do it. And I guess it's pretty interesting once you get into it. It's pretty cool looking at someone's insides and asking "how does this work?!".

By the way, Aule, what the hell's a quokka? Sounds like you Aussies are making up animal names again ;)

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
Legolam said:
By the way, Aule, what the hell's a quokka? Sounds like you Aussies are making up animal names again ;)
A quokka is a small marsupial a bit like a wallaby. They're about a foot high, and are quite friendly.
There aren't many of them left on the mainland, but there's an island near Perth (Rottnest Island) that has plenty of them. They are protected, but I know of a few people that play 'Quokka Soccer'. :p

Elbereth

Star Queen of Valinor
Reaction score
Ok....let's see a topic ....what would be a good topic?

Here is one?

What is the best thing about being a tween?

Discuss!!!

....or don't discuss, I really dont' care...just respond. :p

Thread suggestions