🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Getting the most from YOUR forum!

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
I wanted to start a really simple thread that encourages members to add comments on their favourite aspects of 'TheTolkienForum'.

Instead of consistently asking for changes to be made, I would rather members recommended to other forum users their favourite use of forum technical wizardry. The Webmaster has added many quirky little buttons and tools for members to use, let's hear about the ones that you like best. In addition, feel free to add your ideas on getting the most from the boards, any hints or tips that you feel will help your fellow members. Here are my two;

My personal point in relation to this is the use of the VOTING facility. This allows members to vote on whether they 'like' or 'dislike' certain threads within the forum. Sadly though it does not seem to get the best use that it could as it would act as a guide for new members when looking out worthwhile threads to read. As the number of threads grows within the forum, any 'traffic light' that assists the average trawler is a blessing in my book.

When cleaning out your PM boxes, don't forget to clear out not only your INBOX, but also your SENT MESSAGES and MESSAGE TRACKING BOXES.

Over to you..........

Last edited:

menchu

Reaction score
Oops! This is like one of those songs you identify yourself with. :D

I have one question about all those wonderful buttons, very simple: why can't I get the 'browse' one when trying to attacht an image? I have my own official attacher, but maybe I can be a pain in the neck! *Menchu hopes this won't make the most stupid forumer of her* :eek: *sweats*

BTW, if I didn't say it before, I LOVE THE WAY EVERYTHING IS ORGANIZED. 5 stars for the forum.

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
I am sure a better person than me will be able to answer that one. Over to one of the other mmoderators............:)

menchu

Reaction score
Do I have to PM one of them? Cause... ssssch... they scare me a bit... Ok, maybe not Talierin. I'll ask the Mistress of the Forum.

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Moderators are quite decent fellows by my experience. No problem in asking htem a question. I tend to ask stupid questions from time to time, and they even give polite answers to those.:p
Funny thing though, when I looked to the mentioned 'browse' button, it wasn't called browse, but 'bladeren'. Which is the Dutch equivilant. Now that doesn't make much sense, since the rest of the forum is in english, but maybe it has something to do with my Dutch windows version?

menchu

Reaction score
Oh no, DGoeij! Once I tried to post an image and got Beorn to do it for me (my official attacher) so that's why I know.

R

ReadWryt

When you are attaching a file to a post your browser talks to your Operating System and tells it to open up the proper file requester from it's magic bag of tricks (Graphic User Interface Application Program Interface), so whatever language your operating system uses, that is what you will see. Under normal circumstances this keeps your Operating System and the Internet separated by some code so that the non-nefarious types cannot "see" what is on your hard drive. Your computer tells the Browser which file it is, sends it to the TCP/IP service which is told by the browser what address to send it to...

The Forum is fairly simple in the structure of what hits your screen because it literally builds every page on the fly, and the HTML it generates is very standard...the code that it sends out to make the Attachment portion of the page is <input type="file" class="bginput" name="attachment">, and if you are using an operating system and browser that are created specifically for a particular language then it will interpret this to mean that the button for this standard input device to be in it's native language so that there can be at least a little non-language specificity to the Web.

As for Menchu's problem, I would need to know what Browser version you are using...it may be that it is not 100% HTML 4.01 compliant...

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
See, now how could anyone be scared to ask a moderator for help? We are just little, cuddly, approachable technofurby's!

Eomer Dinmention

The Asian Lord
Reaction score
I hate Furbys the don't stop talking.

What i like about the forum.

The Prancing Pony and the RPG section.

Its really good their.

The moderators don't even bite that hard. But they bite alot. lol

Elbereth

Star Queen of Valinor
Reaction score
Overall I give the forum an "A"

I pretty much like all the forums under General Discussions. I like to see how the fans can let their imaginations run wild. Tolkien can be such a creative inspiration. And this forum is the perfect way to meet and greet other Tolkien fans. This is the best forum that I have been in for a very long time...

Bravo! to ReadWryt, and all his wonderful moderators...and to whoever orignally created this great forum. Good Job!!!

R

ReadWryt

I assure you, they are not MY moderators...they are YOUR moderators! Take care of them, feed them well and compliment them where deserving because they indeed do a wonderfull job. If they were MY moderators then I would be MUCH closer to my ultimate goal of taking over the world by now...:)

menchu

Reaction score
Wow! :eek: Thanks a lot, ReadWryt. And everyone else, even if you couldn't help me.

Aerin, furbies are nice! The only thing I don't agree with is that it would make the mods complete windbags, when they are usually listening, watching, on the ball, ready to... bite. :D (j/k of course!) (or not?)

Valar

King of Gondor
Reaction score
I like the Mods, there just so cute! Only j/k......hehehhe:D
One question though do you see like a diferent screen to us or something, are you like in the matrix and just see lots of green 0's and 1's around you?

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
Working from the bottom up:

Valar:
Well, they see the same thing as us...most of the time.

They can click the Edit button for any post. Umm...When the select options from that Admin Options list (Open/Close Thread, Move/Copy Thread, Edit Thread, Delete Thread/Posts, Merge Threads, Merge threads, Split Thread, Stick/Unstick Thread) at the bottom, they aren't told they don't have access to that page.

Lets see. I think Super Mods (namely RW) can edit profiles. Umm...That's about all that I know.

Furbies are BAD!

Thanx RW. I never did research how you could upload an attachment. I also thought that the button and file path box were two different entities, as opposed to one...

What I really like about the forum...would be the people. If I've a question, I post it, and within a day I (usually) have a whole bunch of answers to the question.

R

ReadWryt

never did research how you could upload an attachment. I also thought that the button and file path box were two different entities, as opposed to one...
They ARE. The button though is inserted by your Browser, whereas the File Requester is generated by your Operating system itself.

Maedhros

The Tall
Reaction score
Grond

Hey, Grond Rules. Maedhros bows and acknowledge the wisdom of the Hammer of the Underground.:)

Thread suggestions