🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Give me a Ticket to AMAN!!

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
Frodo took Arwen's place on the boat to Valinor at the end of LoTR. Other beings different from elves went across sea too. Is there some evidence that they went "in exchange" for half-elves that chose to be mortal? For instance, Elladan and Elrohir chose mortality, is this why Samwise and Gimli were able to go over the sea? Why not Meriadoc and Pippin?

And how does a half-elf choose either mortality or immortality? Is it like a bris?

Melian

Maia Queen
Reaction score
Strange how a fellow-Maia is unaware of these things.:)
Now,I think that there's not a certain number of passengers on Elven ships.What if Arwen didn't give up her immortality?Should we play poor Samwise?I guess there was a place reserved for anyone who deserved travelling to Aman due to his or her descend/deals/choice.
About choosing This or That:maybe Half-Elves make up their minds to remain immortal at the moment they step on the ship's deck.The others have something like an open opportunity left.So i am convonced that Arwen could still leave middle-Earth after Elessar's death,were there ships available.

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
nah Sam left too. After Rosie died :(

Melian -- I am only Manwe's herald, I don't know everything he thinks :)

Flame of Utumno

Reaction score
I think that mortals are only permitted to enter Aman under very extraordinary conditions. Sam, Frodo and Bilbo were all permitted because exposure to the One Ring made them immortal, and it was a gift of the Valar to allow them entry. In the case of Gimli, his love for Legolas and his good works during the War of the Ring was probably rewarded by the Valar allowing him entry into Aman, however, he probably would have eventually died in Aman.

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
I think it went like this:

Arwen chooses mortality = Frodo goes to paradise
Elladan and Elrohir choose mortality = Sam and Gimli go to paradise

Is Tour in the blessed realm? The only mortal to be admitted? He went in place of Elros.

Thread suggestions