🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Glorfindel or Ecthelion - who is a greater elf?

Who achieved more/is a greater Elf?

• Glorfindel

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • Ecthelion

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • They are equal in achievements

Votes: 9 22.0%

• Total voters

Confusticated

Reaction score
Ivan's got my back... as usual! :D

Lets swing this back around to the topic... I got an idea. Maybe what it really comes down to is presentation. I mean.... you're in the wilderness being hunted by an unstoppable enemy and a freakin High Elf comes riding up on a horse... somewhat heals you, and then the horse saves your life... along with Glorfy and them holding off the wraiths.... illumitation in the wraith world... Hard not to like that! If I was a man Glorfindel would make me gay (if i wasn't already!!).

Don't you like it how in action movies this impossably capable guy or girl just shows up and takes names.... Glorfindel is the that guy of LoTR. And it makes you feel good and pumped up because maybe you're sort of vicariously being that badass guy! Or am I alone in engaging in heroic "protector" fantasies?

But Ecthelion... no less capable than Glorfindel I don't think. He just didn't get presented as the most capable ass-kicker in the whole of Middle-earth, as the other Noldor around at that point were awesome too!:*p

Ecthelion74

Reaction score
Ecthelion. Gothmog was the Lord of Balrogs and the High-captain of Angband, one of the chief servants of the Dark Lord Morgoth with a rank equal to that of Sauron.

Good infos with latest sources are here:
http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Ecthelion

"In the battle over Gondolin, Ecthelion and his forces made their entrance from the South part of the city, after previously being held in reserve. So terrible was his voice when commanding the drawing of the swords and the killings which followed, that his name became a terror among the enemy and a Warcry to the Eldar. Valiantly fighting side by side with Tuor and his House of the Wing, they drove away the orcs until almost the Gate was regained. As Dragons reinforced Morgoth's army, Ecthelion killed three Balrogs and his sword did "hurt to their fire". Outnumbered, they had to retreat. When doing so, Ecthelion's left arm was wounded and his shield fell to earth. Tuor carried him away as they joined the remaining leaders in the Square of the King.

In that place the great Fountain of the King stood and Ecthelion regained his strength by drinking from it. As seven dragons lead the enemy's forces towards the Square, the remaining army of Gondolin began retreat. All but Ecthelion, who remained near the fountain in a stand which was remembered as the most valiant "in all the songs or in any tale". It was there that he faced Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs."

Thats my opinion. ;)

Phuc Do

Reaction score
In my memory I remembered Glorfindel better. LOL, I had to read up on Ecthelion to post on this. I really can't put my finger on who of them were more powerful. Clearly Glorfindel is closer to my heart since I got to know him first through The Fellowship of the Ring.

Ron Simpson

Reaction score
"Greater" in terms of what? The question is fuzzy, so any answer can't be clear....
1. Nobility: they were both of noble blood and great lineage, and both considered great lords of their houses in Gondolin (equal)
2. Leadership: Turgon appointed both of them as co-captains of his host (equal)
3. Importance & Social Status: Ecthelion was lord of the fountain in the square of the King (Ecthy wins this one)
4. Best for Last: Turgon held back Ecthelion & his fighting forces as a last reserve in the defence of the city of Gondolin: you always save your best for last (Ecthy wins this one)
5. Fighting Prowess: Ecthelion slew 3 balrogs during the fall of Gondolin / Glorfindel only 1 (Ecthy wins this one)
"By reason of the great doughtiness of those two lords [Tuor and Ecthelion] came even unto the Balrogs. Of those demons of power Ecthelion slew three, for the brightness of his sword cleft the iron of them and did hurt to their fire, and they writhed" / BoLT, Fall of Gondolin
6. More Fighting Prowess: In the fall of Gondolin, Ecthelion slew 3 Orc field-captains, two of which he killed with one sweep of his sword! Holy Crap! "but Ecthelion shore through two captains of the goblins at a sweep and cleft the head of Orcobal their chiefest champion to his teeth; / BoLT, Fall of Gondolin (Ecthy wins this one again)
7. Even More Fighting Prowess: as has been mentioned above, Ecthelion then kills Gothmog with one hand tied behind his back..as it were (his shield arm was broken when he faced down the Lord of Balrogs) (Ecthy wins yet again)
8. Cahoneys & Courage: both were extraordinarily valiant facing down foes when the odds were against them with little to no regard for their own personal safety. Recall that Ecthelion engaged Gothmog while coming to the defence of Tuor who was overcome by fumes and about to be dispatched after being beaten down by the Balrog. And of course we all know that Glorfindel's response to the Balrog's attack was so immediate that he was fully engaged in combat before his men could even come to his aid. Neither of them was an elf you'd want to mess with .... (equal)

But truth be told, Tolkien tells us more 1st Age stories about Ecthelion than he does about Glorfindel. So we might be short-changing Glorfindel because his narrative is so thin. Also he doesn't say much about the character of either elf when not on the battle-field - and when he does, its mostly about Ecthelion.

Not sure if it is worth talking about 're-born Glorfindel'. Fighting the minions of Sauron does not compare with fighting the minions of Morgoth. Yeah, yeah - I know that 're-born Glorfindel' scared the cloak off the Witch-King (who fled for his life like a little wuss) but a mortal sorcerer certainly ain't no Balrog (so not even worth talking about). Also, being a counsellor in the house of Elrond in no way compares with being a heavy-hitter of Gondolin. So, in my opinion, 're-born Glorfindel's' exploits count for very little within the context of this discussion.....

So my conclusion is this: Given we are talking about 1st Age Glorfindel vs. Ecthelion, as 'civilian elves', they were were pretty equal, but on the battlefield, Ecthelion wins hands down !

This is an old thread that I just found....but I must say that Glorfindel is better (surprise surprise right?):D. Anyway...I say it because Glorfindel actually meant to kill his balrog, Ecthelion just got his spiked head stuck in THE balrog and they both ended up drowning...and the whole city fell anyway, so what good was that? Glorfindel, on the other hand, slew a balrog that allowed the refugees to get away (Turin Turambar and Elwing included, 2 of the most important figures in the Sil). Also, Glorfindel rescued/protected Frodo from the Black Riders at the ford. What more do you need? So there you have it, Glorfindel is the best!
Well, in life you can only play the hand you are dealt, and play the cards in front of you. The issue is how well you play the cards you get. Ecthelion certainly meant to kill him and that is what the spike was for. Moreover, he certainly would have engaged that Balrog on the high pass if fate had dealt him that hand, but it didn't. (Also Ecthelion slew 3 Balrogs during that battle / go back and read BoLT, Fall of Gondolin !

Last edited by a moderator:

WarriorEstel

Reaction score
I think it is Ecthelion because he killed the "Balrog-King" Gothmog... Glorfindel just killed a balrog to save the refugees from death. And because of that he was reincarnated??? But well, i think Ecthelion should have been sent back to life, too...

Miguel

Reaction score
HoME 12; Last Writings

Near equality with the Maia is no mean feat. Thius it is probable that after re-incarnation Glorfindel was the more powerful Elf.
Yes but Glorfindel's fight is like the tragic/sacrifice/sad one while Ecthelion's is on a brutal 'at the alamo setting with lots of scary F.A. Orcs overwhelming everything, and then you don't see this character no more. Of the fountain's is in my opinion the most bad ass duel.
It's also scary to think about those Orcs pushing Turgon's forces up some spiral staircase in his tower. Also, i find the wingless dragons to be creepier than the others.

Thread suggestions