🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandalf White

Gone Missing
Joined
Nov 21, 2001
Messages
2,182
Reaction score
5
Location
There and back again
Originally posted by Bethelarien
Being LDS, I have a very strong viewpoint on the nature of God. We believe that he is a male, and that he has a definite shape--not this non-gender, no form thingy that some Christians believe in.

If you'd like me to go on, by all means, I will. :D
What is LDS? And by all mean, go on and describe your view!
 

Thorin

LOTR Purist to the end
Joined
Aug 20, 2001
Messages
1,402
Reaction score
15
Originally posted by Tinuvien21
In the Bible, it says when a Christian goes to heaven, then he will be a little lower than the angels.
Actually the Psalms say that man was made a little lower than the angels, not that that is what we would be in heaven. Just a little theological correction. :)

LDS stands for Latter Day Saints which is Mormon....Sorry Bethelarian for stealing your thunder. :D

These little acronyms can be confusing for some non-Christians. Another acronym is my own faith: SDA which is Seventh Day Adventist.
 

klugiglugus

Edward hall
Joined
Jan 8, 2003
Messages
105
Reaction score
0
God and religion are two separate things, one is worship of the self as is homosexuality and racism and the other is an understanding of reality, savvy?
 

Lantarion

no house
Joined
Aug 19, 2001
Messages
3,734
Reaction score
6
Location
Finland
Originally posted by klugiglugus
God and religion are two separate things, one is worship of the self as is homosexuality and racism and the other is an understanding of reality, savvy?
Sorry I have no idea what that is supposed to mean! :p
 

klugiglugus

Edward hall
Joined
Jan 8, 2003
Messages
105
Reaction score
0
god is physical, mankind is physical, real, religion is mythology, guilt and sex.
 

CelebthĂ´l

Loremaster
Joined
Oct 2, 2002
Messages
2,413
Reaction score
3
Originally posted by klugiglugus
god is physical, mankind is physical, real, religion is mythology, guilt and sex.
Explain it more basically. . .
 

e.Blackstar

wanderer, not lost
Joined
May 31, 2002
Messages
1,838
Reaction score
5
Location
Minnesota, USA
I generally think of God as, if required to define 'him' by terms of gender, as a 'he', if only because of the reference to all of humanity as mankind and 'he'.

However, I generally just say It. (with a capital I)
 

Narya

~He-he-he~
Joined
Apr 22, 2002
Messages
1,286
Reaction score
21
Location
Somewhere in Asia
Why would you associate Eru with the christian or modern world concept of a Divine Sovereign?

Eru was never made to be like what the modern-world concept of a creator is. Actually Tolkien was trying hard to stay away from that topic. Maybe we should also.
 

Eriol

Estel
Joined
Sep 30, 2002
Messages
1,395
Reaction score
4
Location
Ithilien
Originally posted by Narya
Why would you associate Eru with the christian or modern world concept of a Divine Sovereign?

Eru was never made to be like what the modern-world concept of a creator is. Actually Tolkien was trying hard to stay away from that topic. Maybe we should also.
Well, there are many, many instances in which Tolkien calls Eru "God" in his Letters; letters who were written to other Catholics. So, Eru is the Christian God. I don't have all quotes here, including what is probably the strongest, the one in which he claims that "his myth is supposed to be believable by a mind which believes in the Blessed Trinity".

We can stay away from that topic... but we can't really say that Tolkien did the same ;).
 

Theoden_king

Man in the street
Joined
Jan 21, 2003
Messages
399
Reaction score
0
Location
Derbyshire, England
Originally posted by celebdraug
So T_K, what is your beliefs on creation then?
Creation? Well if you are talking about human beings then the theory of evolution sounds pretty good to me.

However if you are talking about Earth, the Sun, the Galaxy etc. Then I believe that there was no beggining, it's quite a hard concept to believe for us because we are finite beings, but I think that there was never any start to creation.
 

Barliman Butterbur

Worthy Keeper/Bree Roué
Joined
Dec 7, 2003
Messages
2,768
Reaction score
10
Location
Prancing Pony, Bree
Originally posted by Theoden_king
Creation? Well if you are talking about human beings then the theory of evolution sounds pretty good to me.

However if you are talking about Earth, the Sun, the Galaxy etc. Then I believe that there was no beggining, it's quite a hard concept to believe for us because we are finite beings, but I think that there was never any start to creation.
At age 67, I've come to believe that we are simply incapable of knowing whether or not a God exists, for the same reason that a cat will never learn to read the sports page: it just doesn't have what it takes. What is all-important to me is how we treat ourselves and each other. I think we will thrive or go extinct on the application (or lack thereof) of two principles: loving cooperation, and appreciation of differences.

—Lotho
 

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Joined
Aug 18, 2001
Messages
2,207
Reaction score
2
Location
Baltimore, MD, United States
Originally posted by Theoden_king
Creation? Well if you are talking about human beings then the theory of evolution sounds pretty good to me.

However if you are talking about Earth, the Sun, the Galaxy etc. Then I believe that there was no beggining, it's quite a hard concept to believe for us because we are finite beings, but I think that there was never any start to creation.
That's a rather tricky rope-bridge to tread. An infinite universe is scientifically improbable, because current studies indicate that our universe is indeed finite in mass. A finite mass means that there is a finite amount of energy (Einstein's Law of the Conservation of Mass and Energy, mass and energy are interchangable, but still cannot be created or destroyed) and a finite amount of energy means there is a beginning, and an end. The universe simply doesn't have the energy to run forever, and nothing that comes into existence (i.e. the Universe via the Big Bang) can logically exist forever, since there isn't enough energy in a finite amount to keep something going infinitely...

An "infinite Universe" also makes Evolution rather tricky, being as there has been an infinite amount of time (time, in an Infinite Universe, wouldn't have much meaning or significance) for creatures to evolve enough on other worlds to come to ours many many times.

Now before I go *completely* on a tangent, I think I'll just stop there :)
 

Barliman Butterbur

Worthy Keeper/Bree Roué
Joined
Dec 7, 2003
Messages
2,768
Reaction score
10
Location
Prancing Pony, Bree
Originally posted by Ciryaher
A finite mass means that there is a finite amount of energy (Einstein's Law of the Conservation of Mass and Energy, mass and energy are interchangable, but still cannot be created or destroyed) and a finite amount of energy means there is a beginning, and an end. The universe simply doesn't have the energy to run forever, and nothing that comes into existence (i.e. the Universe via the Big Bang) can logically exist forever, since there isn't enough energy in a finite amount to keep something going infinitely...

Now before I go *completely* on a tangent, I think I'll just stop there :)
BUT...what if there's some vital piece of information we need that would give us the answer about this once and for all?
And what if this information is in a form that our human sensorium is simply not constructed to detect? Aye, there's the rub...:)

Lotho
 

CelebthĂ´l

Loremaster
Joined
Oct 2, 2002
Messages
2,413
Reaction score
3
Originally posted by Lotho_Pimple
BUT...what if there's some vital piece of information we need that would give us the answer about this once and for all?
And what if this information is in a form that our human sensorium is simply not constructed to detect? Aye, there's the rub...:)

Lotho
Such as ether (i think) ;)


But what about Gravety Cir? Thats a constant force of energy, i think....and when the Universe stops expanding, it will be gravity that causes it to collapse again...i think.
 

Barliman Butterbur

Worthy Keeper/Bree Roué
Joined
Dec 7, 2003
Messages
2,768
Reaction score
10
Location
Prancing Pony, Bree
Originally posted by CelebthĂ´l
Such as ether (i think) ;)


But what about Gravety Cir? Thats a constant force of energy, i think....and when the Universe stops expanding, it will be gravity that causes it to collapse again...i think.
'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe. All mimsy were the borogrove, and the mome raths outgrabe!:D

Lotho
 

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Joined
Aug 18, 2001
Messages
2,207
Reaction score
2
Location
Baltimore, MD, United States
Constant does not mean Infinite, Thol. Gravity is in fact one of the weakest of all forces in the universe, especially when compared to electromagnetism (there are four forces in the universe that we know of; gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread suggestions

Top