🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CelebthĂ´l

Loremaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lotho_Pimple
'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe. All mimsy were the borogrove, and the mome raths outgrabe!:D

Lotho
Im guessing thats Flowers for Algernon? I dont really know, but on hearing that, that name came to my head...

Cir: but Gravity IS a powerful force, black holes are unscapeable even for light...and it doesnt run out ever....as far as i know...

Eriol

Estel
Reaction score
ThĂ´l, I don't see what is the relationship between Gravity (weak or strong ;) ) and the impossibility of an Universe with infinite duration towards the past as stated by Ciryaher.

CelebthĂ´l

Loremaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Eriol
ThĂ´l, I don't see what is the relationship between Gravity (weak or strong ;) ) and the impossibility of an Universe with infinite duration towards the past as stated by Ciryaher.
LOL neither do I :D Ooops...:p

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Speaking of inexplicable forces, did you know that in outer space there is an actual energy which is quite powerful, and exists in or of the very void or vacuum of space? I read an article about it recently, in NewScientist I think..
And also the forces of quantum mechanics are strange and wonderful, and practically inexplicable.

Right that's enough meandering for now.. ;)

Eriol

Estel
Reaction score
As far as I know, vaccum energy is the absolute minimum energy. It has a positive (above zero) value. However, since it is -- by definition -- the theoretical minimum energy at a given place, it can't be "tapped" (or the energy there would fall below the minimum). Of course, physicists are stubborn guys and are always trying to do the "impossible"... since we really don't know enough about physics to state impossibilities anyway.

Quantum mechanics is FUN :).

CelebthĂ´l

Loremaster
Reaction score
Quantum mechanics, astro physics, i love all that stuff...never was too good at it tho :(

Eriol

Estel
Reaction score
Originally posted by CelebthĂ´l
Quantum mechanics, astro physics, i love all that stuff...never was too good at it tho :(
As Stephen Hawking said, "only God passes the final exam of physics"

:)

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
Actually, black holes do eventually "die"...though the supermassive black holes at the center of a galaxy are constantly "fed" matter to convert into energy...but once it eats the galaxy, there's no more "food" and it "dies" :)

But the point is that nobody has any evidence that the universe is infinite, while there is much evidence that it is finite.

In the case of a finite universe, there is always the option of deciding whether the Big Bang was just a random event (secular) or if something caused the Big Bang to Be (religious). That is the crux of the matter, and of course the only thing that cannot be proved either way...until you die, of course ;)

Speaking of God, I read an interesting article in Astronomy magazine dealing with time and the afterlife. The author proposed that "heaven" is in a separate hyper-time. The result of this seperation means that regardless of how much time passes in this universe/time stream, all souls arrive in heaven at the exact same time when they die...It is similar to the idea that time remains constant to the subject moving at ever-increasing velocities, but the observer(s) experience a different amount of time elapsement.

Barliman Butterbur

Worthy Keeper/Bree Roué
Reaction score
Originally posted by CelebthĂ´l
Im guessing thats Flowers for Algernon? I dont really know, but on hearing that, that name came to my head...

Cir: but Gravity IS a powerful force, black holes are unscapeable even for light...and it doesnt run out ever....as far as i know...
Actually, it's from Alice in Wonderland. I guess I was thinking about all the spirito/intellectual claptrap I've run into when approaching people who hold themselves up as intellectual giants of religion/philosophy/science, when all they are doing is voicing their opinion based on too much opinion and too little knowledge. And of course, I can't count the number of times I've done that myself! When we let our heads float in the skies to the point our feet leave the ground, we get into trouble!:p

—Lotho

Barliman Butterbur

Worthy Keeper/Bree Roué
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ciryaher
Speaking of God, I read an interesting article in Astronomy magazine dealing with time and the afterlife. The author proposed that "heaven" is in a separate hyper-time. The result of this seperation means that regardless of how much time passes in this universe/time stream, all souls arrive in heaven at the exact same time when they die...
That is exactly the kind of absolutely fascinating thought that generates hours of intense discussion — and comes to naught in the end because the premise can neither be proven nor disproven. And that's my big problem with most religio/mystical assertions.

—Lotho

klugiglugus

Edward hall
Reaction score
All the intelligent minds that have contributed to this thread should now be thinking about another nature of god, an astrophysical god.

I do have all the answers for example the meaning of life is the rape criterion macrobiotic capacity to construct an innovative connotation and I will give you information of the true god once you get close to finding him through debate: This should be an amusing theological tower of Hanoi.

To conclude I am sure many of you have pontificated to the best of your abilities however if you keep at it and employ imagination you should forge a close link to the protocols of the true god by the year 2007...

Barliman Butterbur

Worthy Keeper/Bree Roué
Reaction score
Originally posted by klugiglugus
All the intelligent minds that have contributed to this thread should now be thinking about another nature of god, an astrophysical god.

I do have all the answers for example the meaning of life is the rape criterion macrobiotic capacity to construct an innovative connotation and I will give you information of the true god once you get close to finding him through debate: This should be an amusing theological tower of Hanoi.
Intriguing assertions, Klugi! I can't wait for your upcoming revelations! But are we not ahead of ourselves: how do we know that any kind of "God" (let alone a whole pantheon of anthropomorphic ones) exists in the first place? And what if there's a race of beings out there someplace (either in this dimension or another) whose basic construction allows them to apprehend the real skinny on all this? What if we're so made that we're fundamentally incapable of ever knowing? Those are the things needing to be settled first, methinks!:)

Frankly, I rather enjoy Tolkien's version of God: the Supreme Musician, making up musical themes for his angels to follow. All of Middle-earth being created by angels doing jazz riffs! How cool is that?:p

—Lotho

CelebthĂ´l

Loremaster
Reaction score
I do have all the answers for example the meaning of life is the rape criterion macrobiotic capacity to construct an innovative connotation
Huh!? :confused:

klugiglugus

Edward hall
Reaction score
I know of the differing humanities on other planets and I know of god and if I simply told you the simple truths of them as I did with the meaning of life you simply cannot comprehend their meaning deep though that meaning maybe as CelebthĂ´l has just demonstrated...

Think in physical terms do not think in religious terms or mythical terms think as the ancient Europeans though as they began to live off the feasts of the oceans and paint their dead elders red, think as the Egyptians thought as they built their pyramids.

You shall eventually understand, who knows perhaps I will not have to tell you; maybe you shall work the mysteries out for yourselves.

CelebthĂ´l

Loremaster
Reaction score
I know of the differing humanities on other planets and I know of god and if I simply told you the simple truths of them as I did with the meaning of life you simply cannot comprehend their meaning deep though that meaning maybe as CelebthĂ´l has just demonstrated...
I did? :confused:

I just didnt understand the big words, could you explain it in laymans terms?

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score

To conclude I am sure many of you have pontificated to the best of your abilities however if you keep at it and employ imagination you should forge a close link to the protocols of the true god by the year 2007...
1. Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
2. Never use a long word when a short one will do.
3. If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
4. Never use the passive when you can use the active.
5. Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
6. Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.

~ From George Orwell's Politics and the English Languages 1947

Don't overtalk yourself, klugiglugus ;) And also remember the wisest man is he who realizes that he knows nothing at all.

Barliman Butterbur

Worthy Keeper/Bree Roué
Reaction score
Originally posted by Elessar II
Because all logic points to it.
Logic is just a way of reasoning. If logic is based on a false premise, or insufficient or distorted facts, it will lead to false or specious conclusions. Logic alone is anything but a guarantor of truth.

—Lotho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread suggestions