🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Gollum, hero or villain? (RE: Mt.Doom, possible spoiler for non-readers)

Gollum/Sméagol

Reaction score
In TROTK movie, when Frodo has finally been corrupted and then Gollum attacks him, etc etc. gets ring and falls in, do you think in the movie they'll make it out that Gollum meant to jump in and they'll make him out as a hero or do you think that they'll stay true to the book and have him still confused and half way between good/bad when he falls in?

Gary Gamgee

Mr Muckle
Reaction score
I'll tell what i'd love to see...

Gollum gets the ring but doesn't fall in. Meanwhile Sam takes his injured master to safety nearby, Gollum full of joy he has the ring back goes skipping and dancing to the way out when suddenly a winged Nazgul appears in his way. Gollum runs back screaming to the edge of the abyss. The Nazgul slowly moves forward paying no heed Frodo and Sam.

Gollum-"aah what to do my precious what cans we do?"

looks to Frodo

"Master nice Hobbit what can i do?"

Frodo-"You know what you must do Gollum, what i couldn't"

Gollum-"Nooo never must never harm precious"

Frodo-"then He will get it Gollum"

Gollum-(hissing)" He mustent have it, HE wont have it never ever nooo"

Gollum with the ring jumps into the flames screaming

"my preeecious"

what do think?

PRH

Reaction score
No way. Just do it like the book. Gollum is supposed to be pitiable, not a hero. Any heroic act was just by accident.

daisy

Reaction score
there is actually a thread in the Lord of the Rings board - it is back a bit but it is there - I think it is called Gollum: Good or Evil - and it had some interesting posts relating to this topic, if you want to check it out!

daisy:)

Gollum/Sméagol

Reaction score
Originally posted by daisy
there is actually a thread in the Lord of the Rings board - it is back a bit but it is there - I think it is called Gollum: Good or Evil - and it had some interesting posts relating to this topic, if you want to check it out!

daisy:)
I know, thanks, but I mean do you think PJ will portray him as a hero or villain??

PRH

Reaction score
While we're at it. I'm sure we could forgo any and all discussion on this board and just read old threads. There's nothing new under the sun.

daisy

Reaction score
I think P.J will try to show him as a conflicted, tortured, pathetic yet dangerous character because that is how he set it up in FOTR - he had that scene where Frodo is saying, ' Why didn't Bilbo just kill him when he had the chance" and Gandalf explaining about mercy etc.
I also think the villain role is reserved for Wormtongue, who will be portrayed as truly menacing and creepy...but we'll see!:)

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
I think Gollum is the coolest character in LoTR to show on screen. I mean a guy with two personalities, eyes that turn green, has hair like Pat Riley, can climb a mountain like a spider, says precioussss, says dusssssttt.

I hope PJ does a good job with him, like he did with Gandalf.

lilhobo

Retired
Reaction score
i was gonna do a thread like this but thought it might be spoiler!!!

who knows what the fatman will do....i hope he makes gollum ou to be a hero personally :D

frodo: i have come, yet i will not do what i have set out to do. I claim this ring for my self

(we see frodo turn in to gollum in front of gollums eyes)

gollum: tears in his eyes
bites of frodo finger and says this is the end

S

Son of Elrond

Gollum

Gollum's role was one of destiny and Gandalf saw this early on. He knew Gollum had a role in the destruction of the ring. I believe Jackson stays true to the storyline and depicts Gollum as craving the ring and using the hobbits as food for Shelob, knowing he had that shot at getting the ring for himself.

Khamul

Anti-Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
I agree on one thing, that everything new in the board has basically been said before. Except the killing Gollum thread I think.:D

ssgrif

Sheppard of the forest
Reaction score
Lofty place a few days walk from Amon Sul
I think that PJ will stay true to the books version of events. You can see how amazing the CGI face of Gollum could be used to pull some pretty scary expressions. You remember in the movie at Rivendell, where you see Bilbos face goes evil and twisted when he wants to touch the ring, but Frodo wont let him.

I feel that PJ will have Gollum fighting Frodo over the ring, with his face all twisted and evil, then plop! into the lava flow.

grishnak

Reaction score
I hope PJ stays true to the book but I agree with Legolas Lover, he will probably make him a bad guy.

fantasydude

Reaction score
i hope he doesnt turn gollum in to another jar-jar! that would be unfortunate. i cant wait to see gollum, hes the most colorful, conflicted and fascinating characters in the trilogy, and i hope he is portrayed correctly. i bet at the climax, all will follow the book, because that is about as climactic and unexpected as it gets anyway.

tom_bombadil

Blast from the Past
Reaction score
I reckon he will show it as sam sees it slinker and stinker

He will portary gollums split personality the personality which desires the ring and wants its precious back and the side which hates it and utterly detests the ring

Thread suggestions