🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Gollum (Like him or not)

Do you like Gollum?

• Like (to bad he died)

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • Whatever (slight twinge when he dies)

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • Hate him ('nuff said)

Votes: 7 11.5%

• Total voters

Thorondor

Indie kid to the end
Reaction score
My heart will always be in the land of sky blue wa
i liked him as a character, and I liked his personality, probably one of the best developed personalities in the book. I of course do not like his whole outlook on life and what he did. I also liked him because you always felt some kind of emotion for him. Be it hate, pity, discust, or awe at how he made his way through life. Compare that to someone like Gandalf or Aragorn which I also like very much, but I rarely had any deep feelings toward because they always had their goals that they would achieve; but he was a poor wreached creature that lived in a life and time way beyond what he should have, long seperated from any friends and family he once had.

~I would not say like in the poll, to bad he died, I actually was glad that he finally got to die. Anyway, what would he be if the ring could have been destroyed and he lived? I presume it would not have been very pretty.:(

Last edited:

Merry

Has chubby cheeks
Reaction score
Without being obsequious, Thorondor has put exactly how I feel about Gollum very well! I love the emotion when he describes the Dead Marshes and his search for remorse when he gently paws Frodo.

It is a pity he was corrupted by the ring so much.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
I agree. He was a very sentimental and relatable character, and I found him amusing, forlorn and backstabbing, usually at the same time!
But seriously folks.. He is one of the best characters, and I think his personality cannot be rivaled with. Poor, wretched fella.. :(

Evenstar

Reaction score
I like him, I feel sorry for him because as horrible as he can be we know thereason for it. When he dies I feel bad but I don't think that he would have wanted to live w/out the ring.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Obsequious???:confused: Anyway, can anyone guess what I think?:rolleyes: He was the greatest character and he shouldn't have died and he should have just gotten the ring from the nasty hobbit Frodo and he would have only gone back underneath his mountain and stayed on his little island and eat fish for forever and noone would ever find him again. Yay Gollum!:D

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
I like Gollum for his essential humanity. He was also one of the most essential characters in the book and delivered the world of ME when all was said and done. He had an innate goodness to him that seemed to constantly be in conflict with his innate badness/evil. This conflict made his character interesting and pitiful... all in one.

Only Tolkien can develop characters such as these!!:)

Tyaronumen

Agent of the West
Reaction score
One of the saddest moments in the books to me is when Sammy wakes up and jumps into Gollum's crap, thereby pretty much driving away the Smeagol side of Gollum's personality, as far as I can tell. I always wonder what would have happened to Gollum if the Smeagol personality had been nurtured instead of being stamped out by Sam's hairy toes. :D

Tar-Steve

Reaction score
I'd have to say I don't like him, mainly because of Deagol. Everything that comes to and from Gollum afterwards has some ring influence imparted to it. I realize that what he did to Deagol does as well but I still think his own perversion dominates that event more than the ring. I can't imagine Bilbo killing one of his companions if he happened to not be alone when he found the ring.

Aredhel

Governor of Imladris
Reaction score
I didn't like him at all. From the Hobbit to the Return of the King, he was evil all along. He perhaps had the greatest lust for the Ring, other than its maker, Sauron.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Yay Gollum!:D I mean...um...It was all the Ring's fault!:mad: Yeah! Gollum was always the greatest! Deagol and the grandma and the evil sam are the most evilest!:mad: Argh! I'll go back to the Gollum Fan Club and pout! By the way you won't have to put up with me anymore because tomorrow is my last day on the internet for a while and I'm being pushed out of the school's library----

Last edited:

Moonbeams

Spilling Moonbeams
Reaction score
I can't say I liked him too much. But I always felt very great pitty for him. The poor thing, no friends, always hungry... I felt so sorry for him when they treated him so bad in Ithilien, AND ALL HE WANTED WAS SOME FISH!!!
But, you know he brought it on himself. With a little help from the Ring... Hmmm...
Was it his fault he became what he was, or was it the ring all the time?

Centin

Reaction score
Gollum

Gollum killed for the ring when he was Smeagol, which really made me think he was evil from the start. But perhaps he was such a weak willed person, that at the time the power of the ring turned him evil as soon as he first saw it.

One thing that really made the power of the ring clear was how even though Gollum had the Ring for 500 years, he was still unable to control its power and was simply corrupted and bound to it.

Melian

Maia Queen
Reaction score
It may sound strange to some of you,but I ADORE Gollum.Partly because he is the necessary Evil One and has a great role for the destruction of the Ring.Moreover,he's independent as far as he's not a servant of Sauron but of the Ring only.He's the best (in my opinion) developed character of the book.And the mere fact we here discuss his personality is evident for his very impressing performance in the course of the events.
So why hate sssssweat precssssious Gollum?!

Bryheinnen

Reaction score
Gollum

the scene in Mordor where he comes upon Frodo and Sam asleep---and for a moment the poor wretched creature remembers what it was like before the ring, and reaches out to carress Frodo---is one of the most moving in the book. How could you read that and not pity him?
His salvation came in his death, when he was finally at peace.

Elendil3119

Reaction score
I say, 'whatever'.:rolleyes: I didn't really like the guy, but I didn't hate him either. I pitied him more than either...

Lady_of_Gondor

CityMaiden
Reaction score
I pitied Gollum more than anything. But the question was did I like him? Of course not. In my book, pity does not equal affection. He deserved to die because he was a loathsome and murderous creature. I understand that he did not choose to be that way. Nevertheless, he was. Its a touchy subject, but I believe that even if a person doesn't choose their evil ways, they still should take responsibility for them. Gollum was evil. He died because of his hate, and he got what he deserved. Enough said.

Thread suggestions