🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Guild of Filmmakers

MacAddict

Ocean Avenue
Reaction score
Well i've been considering this for a long time and tonight i feel like seeing if anyone else likes to make movies (of the serious and non-serious varity ;)) So... I've made mostly trailers for Uth events around town and a few indepentant films with some freinds (plan to add 4-6 more to the list of movies this summer). But I feel like i am ment to make films (real films), i mean when i have a concept in my head i know EXACTLY what it needs to look like, where the camera goes, the lighting, the envoirment, everything. I am also making this place for others the share what THEY want to make and for us to share ideas and such. So let it begin!!

Members:

MacAddict
Ol' Gaffer
Lifeling
tookish-girl
Glorfindel1187
Eledhwen
Losteliniel
EllethBronwe
Hawkblaze
Cutter

~MacAddict

Last edited:

Ol'gaffer

The Dawson
Reaction score
GO MACADDICT! It's about time that we get one of these threads here! I'm in deffinetly.

My history of filmmaking is quite short, I've directed two short movies that lasted both about 5 mins and one documentary on human behaviour that lasted about 6-7 mins. I'm currently directing a movie about the end of the world "inspired" by the upcoming war.

I'd be really interested to hear that are there other directors here also and what their methods for directing and scriptwriting are.

MacAddict

Ocean Avenue
Reaction score
Good, I'm glad to see there are others who enjoy doing this to. I'm working on some just funny stuff i wanna do this summer, But I am in the concept phase of a Documentary i wanna do, thing is it all depends on a varible factor and might not even happen so unless you promise to NOT get your hopes up i'll tell ya about it:D , I just don't want to get anyone excited (it would be primally FOR this forum) and then not be able to do it.

And as an added bonus, The 3 independent films that i made are online thanks to the other group i devoloped them with (FruitBasket Productions)

Link 1. Bernie the Alien: http://cflcomputing.com/adam/Bernie.mov 18MB

Link 2, The Mystery of the Klink: http://cflcomputing.com/adam/Klink.mov Warning: 60MB

~MacAddict

My Production name is "Mad Sea Cow Productions"

Last edited:

MacAddict

Ocean Avenue
Reaction score
I was afraid this was going to happen. It seems there aren't as many people who are interested in FilmMaking as i had hoped :(. Ah well, if ya find this and are interested please join!

~MacAddict

Lifeling

Nothing Happens Wednesday
Reaction score
Attic Films : Me and my cousins film production company

Hey Guys! I'll Join! Me and myu cuzins have made alot of stuff... were more on the humorous side but thats alright right?
We work monstly in lego movies (stop motion) But we have also made a very sad film about war. it was only 5 minutes but it was good.

So yeah... sign me up.

MacAddict

Ocean Avenue
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lifeling
were more on the humorous side but thats alright right?
We work monstly in lego movies (stop motion).
Welcome Much! Yeah funny films are the best :D, Just watch the 2 i put up (no point really at all :rolleyes: ). I've wanted to do some lego stop motion but haven't got to it yet. I'm currently in the concept phases for a large scale Documentary (the largest i've taken on anyway, if i can make it go the way i have it planned). We're growing!!:D .

~MacAddict

balrog

CEO of Fear
Reaction score
Originally posted by MacAddict
And guess what, i made a logo! And Ol'gaffer, please tell of your ventures in the film universe:D . I'd like to hear it.

~MacAddict
I love the logo!

I tried the links and they are not working at the moment...but i will try again later!

I am not a film movie/producer....however I am curious what films and directors were your inspiration?

My personal favorite is a documentary called 'Microcosmos'....filmed in a valley in France I believe

truly amazing slow motion photography! :)

tookish-girl

Pippin's stranger sister
Reaction score
Hi, wow! I can't beleive we have a Filmmakers Guild!
I only just noticed!
Well, hello, I'm Tookish, I've been here for one and half years and I'm currently a Film Student in England, I like writing and directing and have made four shorts films on film and two on Dv tape.

This is such a great idea! You would not beleive how pleased I am to see this! I was only thinking the other day how great it would be to be able to share film ideas and scripts with people on this forum, but somehow I wasn't sure if Film scripts would quite be got in the Prancing Pony for example.

Yeah, the logo rules!:D

MacAddict

Ocean Avenue
Reaction score
Originally posted by balrog
I am not a film movie/producer....however I am curious what films and directors were your inspiration?
I'd have to give the credit to Jurassic Park, the 1st 'movie' i made was a recreation of that using toys from the movie :D. In regards to the links: they work but take awhile to load (since one is 60MB) and make sure you have quicktime installed on your comp.

Welcome Tookish! I'm glad to see everybody likes the logo :D. The films I've made have only been done on normal Dv tapes (like what you would buy at Circuit City) but if I could afford it, this is what i want :D . Whats it like to work with real film? Again Welcome!

~MacAddict

tookish-girl

Pippin's stranger sister
Reaction score
Real film is great! I was only using 8mm, so it was tiny and very fiddly to edit (had to use special tape with sprocket holes in), but the picture looked amazing! I was so proud. i want to try to use 16mm when I'm in third year.
I liked your alien film, very cool. Couldn't hear the sound on it though! I'm trying to put stuff on my website about my films but I've been real busy!

That camera's gorgeous!

Lifeling

Reaction score
Ah yes... that camera is my cousins dream...
Im not too into cameras... Im an actor.

I have a question...
We have a decent camera... with nice resolution. (TV quality)
But when we put it in the computer for editing, and then try to put it on CD or DVD it is always very low quality and has a very big file size...
Could you guys suggest any softare or methods for improving quality while keeping lower filesizes?

Thanks

MacAddict

Ocean Avenue
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lifeling
I have a question...
We have a decent camera... with nice resolution. (TV quality)
But when we put it in the computer for editing, and then try to put it on CD or DVD it is always very low quality and has a very big file size...
Could you guys suggest any softare or methods for improving quality while keeping lower filesizes?

Thanks
What capture methods are you using? Meaning FireWire (IEEE or i.Link) or some USB Capture thing or an analog card in the comp? the Large file size depends on what capture method your using. If its FireWire the quality shouldn't be that bad or the compression software your using is not a very good one. Look into buying QuickTime Pro (Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the QT Pro info). If its USB or an Analog Card there isn't much you can do about the quality other than make sure it isn't you compression app thats causing it.
For recommended software: Get QuickTime Pro, its $30 and can do just about anything (including editing and FX) in a simple package. If you've got a buget to use look into Sorenson Video 3 , its a really really good compression plugin for quicktime and many other media apps. Hope this helped.

~MacAddict

Lifeling

Reaction score
Thanks so much I'll look into those

Ol'gaffer

The Dawson
Reaction score
YAY! This thread really got some attention finally!
It's amazing to hear that there are really more people here that enjoy the art that is film making!

I just recently saw a russian/Nigerian collaboration of making music and pictures just into a seamless collaboration of images that create a story with no words, it was really amazing how it worked and really inspired me.

Balrog, inspiration can come from anything, it can come from another movie or music or even a book that you just read. I urge you that if you ever get an inspiration write it down immediatly and don't hesitate or otherwise that idea will be gone forever.

I'm gonna get my own computer soon so I'll be able to post some of my films and documentaries here. So until then I'll just post here when needed.

Maeglin

Reaction score
I have been interested in making films for several years now and it is something I have greatly desired to do since 6th grade, however I have not made any movies yet, but I am taking several classes next year to elevate my skill and study of film-making, and I am also taking part in the school play (so you can see I'm the acting type as well). But will you accept a photographer into this guild? I've been studying photography for 2 years now and it has similarities to the film making (i.e. lighting, camera angle, etc.) so if you have any room for another, I'd love to join.:)

MacAddict

Ocean Avenue
Reaction score
Its ok if no one has ever heard of that program before, it IS a Mac only one. So please if someone has something they would like to disscuss (Film and or Photo related of course), go right ahead and post it! :) .

~MacAddict

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
I've started writing screenplays. A few shorts (5-20 mins) and a couple of features so far; not enough to call a 'portfolio', but I'm working on it.

I like the logo, but it needs an 'icon' element - a simple graphic that represents your guild.

Thread suggestions