🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Guild of Filmmakers

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
Film Making Course

Is anyone else in this Guild living in the South West/Central South of England? I ask because there's a 'From Script to Screen' film making course being run at CRE8 studios in Swindon. CRE8 is local authority run, so the course is dirt cheap (about £70 for, I think, 1 evening a week x 10 weeks). MacAddict's post reminded me, because they are also running a Film making special effects course, using Mac software.

tookish-girl

Pippin's stranger sister
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm in the North East, well, Yorkshire and I'm doing my own film course at the mo. That sounds very exciting though, I'd love to know more about special effect editing.
And only £70??????

I wish I had your local authority! :)

Ol'gaffer

The Dawson
Reaction score
Here's a new discussion idea that can be kicked around: What do you find hard in filmaking?

Personally, since my co-workers at "Team Extempore" and I have begun to make the fantasy movie epic that I scripted and we've had so many problems.

Firstly, casting. Who to play who, we just couldn't seem to find people who would have taken actualy interest into the project, then we found some really lovely ladies who were willing to do the female leads in the movie and they've been really good at it.

Secondly, financing. We ran out of money some time ago and we are now fundraising to get this thing done.

Third, choreography. Sword fighting is difficult, so my friend and I are doing the coreography for the movie but the training is not going so well as people keep on pointing out that we're practising with latex swords.

Fourth, reading. People are having a hard time reading the script aloud and actually acting when we're practising. Some can do it just fine but others are just fooling about.

All this can get really annoying and I was wondering that has anyone else got problems like that in their own projects?

tookish-girl

Pippin's stranger sister
Reaction score
I find that casting, acting etc isn't too bad, but I'm lucky my film course is connected to the theatre course so we have alot of good actors on hand to choose from.

For us the problem is the rickety old equipment we use, especially the sound which seems to pick up absolutely every background noise except for the actor's voices.

For example, earlier this year I was in a film set on a farm. This meant that we were shooting in cow sheds, stables etc. Never ever ever try this, get rid of the animals because they make soooooooo much noise! We had a horse that clearly wanted to be let out of the shed, other on that kept banging his hooves against the wall and a cow with a cough. When we shot outside we had tractors going by, cars and lorries from the main road and planes and police helicopters circling overhead. And then there's the ever useful farmhand who kept walking into shot saying "Hiya, you all alright, what you doing? Oh you're making a film! That's nice!"

Aaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!!!!
Roll on studio work!

MacAddict

Ocean Avenue
Reaction score
The most annoying thing I have yet to come across was during the filming of The Mystery of the Klink :D . We had shot it all and I have everything in the computer editing it and once i had finished I loaded the finished film back onto the camera. Then I deleted it from my HardDrive to make room for the editing on part 2. So then the next day we were going to show it t Uth and luckly I got there 2hrs early to find that when we played back what was on the camera it wasn't the finished and edited version, the camera didn't take it in :mad: . So I had to redo the editing in like 1 1/2hrs! Luckly though, we had pretty much shot the movie in the same order as the movie itself played out, so it wasn't too bad.

~MacAddict

MacAddict

Ocean Avenue
Reaction score
I just see its been some time since there was a post here so, I think we need to find a topic we can continuosly talk about. Maybe this just doesn't work after all, oh well, if you've got something to say, say it. Or better yet if you have something you'd like input on or something, feel free. Now understand this is just an idea and will prolly not be implementable any time soon, I want to buy a fairly large amount of server space and I was thinking that I could 'host' some of your (meaning the people in this guild's) Films :) . Just a thought.

~MacAddict

24framesasecond

Reaction score
MacAddict, I wish to address you personally.
If you want to have support, i can e-mail a list of sites that give grants and alocate endowments. I am a cinemaphiliac, of the hardcore breed.
I must question you though, quite literally, because to make good films you must watch good films and read a lot.

24framesasecond

Reaction score
I think your intentions have great merit, but your outmatched. Triggerstreet and several other sights like it have taken the market. For one, they have studio backing, and two, they have prestigious judges. I think you could do it, but mabye try working through it here, in the safety of the forum. If it works, then yay, if not, then modify of stop.
There are a lot of people that seriously love film, but you are starting off in an already same market, the forum. Your pull will be smaller and you could run into some problems when it comes to quality, intelligent people who know film.
Still, i think you might have something.

tookish-girl

Pippin's stranger sister
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum 24frames (hope you don't mind me calling you that!)

It's good that this guild is moving again. I really would like to submit one of my films to MacAddict's site, but they're all either on 8mm or video now. All the miniDV tapes with some of the originals on get wiped.
Damnit!

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
Originally posted by MacAddict
I just see its been some time since there was a post here so, I think we need to find a topic we can continuosly talk about. Maybe this just doesn't work after all, oh well, if you've got something to say, say it. Or better yet if you have something you'd like input on or something, feel free. Now understand this is just an idea and will prolly not be implementable any time soon, I want to buy a fairly large amount of server space and I was thinking that I could 'host' some of your (meaning the people in this guild's) Films :) . Just a thought. ~MacAddict
This Guild is suffering from one-thread syndrome. If you don't begin to divide your posts into sub-threads (eg: screenwriters; special effects; directors etc) you're going to get one very long, very jumbled mix of topics, and visitors will not be able to usefully benefit from the pool of knowledge available without paging through oodles of trivia and (to them) irrelevancies. I myself am only interested in screenwriting. I have no resources for film making, but reading about the obstacles and possibilities film makers face will improve my own craft (I hope!).

24framesasecond

Reaction score
The biggest problem tha ti have noticed is lack of funds. Most kids that want to make a film can't because they don't have the money to own or rent a camera.
Luckily, there are tons of sites that give out grants and endowments. True, you have to shelve a lot of personal projects while you make others ideas, but it gives you a foothole to climb with.
I think a lot of the acting/casting problems can be nullified by getting to know local theatre toops. Go to shows, classes, forums and talk. I have quite a few friends that are exceptional actors, and since it is their profession they know a lot of other actors. You see what i am getting at. Probably the worst of issues is being lost, but i think MAC has helped fix that problem with this forum.
Vive la cinema!!!:eek:

Lifeling

Nothing Happens Wednesday
Reaction score
One of my biggest problems is time... Id love to make a cool film, but it takes hours!... We should have a contest... someone post a script, then all the filmakers make the film according to that script so wed have like 3 of the same film, then we compare them, and see which is better...

24framesasecond

Reaction score
Seems like a bad idea. You just said time is an issue. Also, most writers who are wanting to make films want to be involved with them; the distant between people could be a hassle and could negate the artistic alliance that i think you are pushing for.

Honestly, if you want to make a film, and you are serious about it, you MAKE time. It is not going to flop in your lap; THIS is the biggest problem i have seen. People being too lazy and too childish to commit and push, such a passive-immature society we live in, it pertuates this 'i want something but i don't want to earn it' view. Disney hasn't helped either with its 'if you want it bad enough, and you beleive it in your heart, then your dream really will come true' bullshit.
I say put some work into it. You can just play around with a camera, or interview someone, anything to give you experience.

MacAddict

Ocean Avenue
Reaction score
This Guild

Hey all, sorry I haven't posted in here for awhile, been neglecting it/busy. In responce with Eledhwen's post: What do you all say I create 2 more threads (if this is allowed, I'll check tonight) For Specific topics? ie: ScreenWriting/Scripting and The Visual Aspect. And keep this one for main disscusion. Sound Good?

~MacAddict

24framesasecond

Reaction score
Well, since not too many people are talking, i say no, don't do it. Make this into a full on discussion i.e. opinion, analysis, loves and hates, visual, all that. Once you have a lot of people to work with THEN start making it specific.
"you can't draw a cup of water from an ounce, you have to draw it from a pool."
-me-

Thread suggestions