🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Guild of Filmmakers

24framesasecond

Reaction score
filma

that makes four.
Say, any of you guys and gals ever seen The Sweet Smell of Success , what a fantastic film; Film Noir meets Citizen Kane .
Lancaster and Curtis fans balked at the characters that their beloved stars played. I can see why, after From Here to Eternity and Some Like it Hot it is sorta hard to see these guys in sucha despicable light. The film is really fast pace, too, something really odd for its day. Odd editing and camera movements (in context to the year) and issues addressed (prostitution, drugs, heavy sex, alcohol, greed, monopolistic practices, seedy police) all make a really great Noir.
That and Preminger's Anatomy of a Murder are my big favs right now. Who could ask for more, you got Duke Ellington doing the FANTASTIC score and Stewart in such a hip, jazzy role (very much suiting his lifestyle). This movie has been copied in numerous ways, one film in particular that owes props to Anatomy is A Time to Kill with Jackson and McCanahey (sp.).
So yeah, if you haven't seen them, i say check them out, they should be at any local blockbuster.

tookish-girl

Pippin's stranger sister
Reaction score
Hey everyone, sorry I haven't posted for a hwile I've been on work experience making a tv programme with the BBC.

I had such a good time, I have to share it with you all! i was down in London, doing this period drama about the life of Beethoven. For those of you in Britain it'll be shown in October on BBC2.

I had such a good time. Officially, I was the Runner for the production office, but I spent most of the 3 weeks helping out the camera trainee. Anyone interested in finding out more? Well, I'll be back later.

Tookish :)

MacAddict

Ocean Avenue
Reaction score
Yesterday I started and finished Filming Mystery of the Klink 3: Attack of the Killer Moth, and I am right now editing and adding the special FX. Well thats what I'm up to thats film related, I'll have it online for all to see soon.

~MacAddict

Hawkblaze

the Blue of the Istari
Reaction score
I have two films in my portfolio that I completed recently for a film class at my High School. One is about 3 1/2 minutes and the other is about 6 minutes. I'd really like to share them with you guys, but I guess I'd need a converter from a VCR to a computer. Any suggestions on how to do that?

I'm particularly interested in cinematography. The sky's the limit in that department.

Azog

Prone to Violence...
Reaction score
I remember way back when we used still images for our movies Macaddict. Those were the days... It will be awesome to see the stuff that you're able to do now. Too bad I can't be there to help out. I am coming up this Christmas though, so we might get something done.

C

Cutter

Hi all,

I'm kinda new here and and MacAddict invited me to join this guild. Awesome! Other film-makers who also love Tolkien and his work.

Well, I've written and directed one short film (15min) and am currently in the process of writing 2 pilots for 2 comedy series (hopefully to be picked up by a major studio).

Also, I have 2 dramas I'm writing, one a sad story of dealing with loss of a loved one, and another a WWII film. I also do CGI for films (haven't done any Pro work in that area yet).

Nice to meet everyone :)

MacAddict

Ocean Avenue
Reaction score
Welcome Cutter, glad you could join us! I have finally begun planning Mystery of the Klink 4, to be ther final part of the Quadrilogy ;) . I have yet to see Kill Bill (I want to very much) but the orignal trailer to has inspired an idea for the trailer for MotK4. I got the song used in the trailer and I'm gonna spoof it with my own trailer but with the same feel and music :D . I'm working on a script now and will hopefully assemble the cast for the final part of our epic movie that has spanned 2 years in the making (and to think when we started it last year it was only gonna be 1 movie :D).

~MacAddict

omnipotent_elf

Omnipotent....mmm....good
Reaction score
can i join?

my borther makes heaps of short films, and I get all the fun duties - boom mike, stuint doubles (that was once, but VERY fun), etc

so yeah, can i join?

Adrastea

Alone
Reaction score
Hey People!

I have recently fallen in love with video editing. My Brother started doing it and I just watched him and thought it was amazing how it is all put together. And after fiddling around with it for 8 months I am now better than him.

I use programs such us...Adobe Premiere 6.5 for editing and Adobe After Effects for Special Effects.

I have recently edited trips that I have been on. Some of the footage was up to 6 hours long and I had to take it down to half an hour.
I would love to discuss anything film and editing related.

omnipotent_elf

Reaction score
an aussie :D
hmm, i use Adobe 6.5, but my computer is preety crappy.....

C

Cutter

Hey fellow film-makers!! So, is anyone gonna get any good gear for the holidays? I'm gonna get a new editing computer, and I've already gotten the AE 5.5PB to AE 6.0 Pro upgrade. What about the rest of you?

Also, seeing as how this is a Tolkien-oriented board, how many here have thought about doing films or a film in the "Fantasy" genre? I know that the D&D movie nearly killed the genre, but thank god LOTR revived it.

Anyway, just trying to spark some conversation.

:)

omnipotent_elf

Reaction score
what about d&d gave it away?
the growing dwarf maybe.
I think all of us are grateful(in some sense anyways) for what Jackson has done...

Morgoth

Bauglir
Reaction score
Hi everybody!
Im not sure if I fit in to this thread, as I dont really make films, I just write scripts. It used to be for fun, really crappy film noir comedies that me and my friends found hilarious. One series of such a genre was called Senator Max. It started off as an impeccably badly drawn (seriously, stick men with varying faces, hats and accesories to differentiate between characters) comic when I was bored in an exam. People around me laughed, and I caused quite a stir. I then wrote a script, and more people laughed. I then got into it in a big way, and I'm starting a feature length script as part of my application for a scriptwriting degree at Bournemouth Media College (UK).And thats me.

Thread suggestions