🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Guild of Tolkienology - Apply here!!

Manveru

(former)blue angel of GoT
Reaction score
veto!

Yeah, seems true (even too realistic to me). I saw some of the Guilds had vanished from the main site (archived, like the GoE or removed & merged into something else, like GoA&W--I guess, wouldn't be too fair for them to disappear wholy:p)

Well, I haven't read whole thread about cleaning, but I suspect it's because lack of activity in the guilds themselves, discussing some topics that would suit everyone's beloved Book Fora and so on...

Personally, I don't want this place to be dealt with in any aspect (let it stay, pls), cause it became (nearly) the only one I visit from some time --> maybe it has sth with that too--if they close it, I may... either "walk away" or... start to participate a little more in other sections of TTF--creative thinking, oh! Powerful Ones (Admin & Mods & whoever else to get this thing (TTF) running...);)

But... I'll stay till the end of GoT (if any... sooner or latter) as active as possible... what will come next? We'll see...

WELCOME, Sabeen!! Enjoy your stay (maybe not for long...)

:D

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
Really, guys...The Guild of Tolkienology hasn't got much to worry about as it is still quite active. What was discussed was NOT closing down the guilds for no reason at all, as some would have you believe. It was suggested that the inactive guilds should be archived so as not to take up bandwidth and forum space. Clearly they have ceased to attract any attention, and even their members think this is the right course of action (OiE, Eruhini, Scholars, Periaur). What some observed (me being among these) is that there is not much sense in having guilds if they are going to be copies of the book fora, because this both 1. takes away from the book fora and 2. the 'ordinary' book discussion threads in the guilds don't get much response from non-guild members. Is that not a reasonable thing to say? Or a true thing to say? Why not have one great big guild (of which the fitting name to me seems 'the guild of Tolkienology' ;)) which would host all sorts of neat Tolkien-related projects, like the Gallery of Characters, the Quiz, lectures, essays....There is so much material that fits better in a guild than it ever would in the book sections! :)

Cheers!

Lhunithiliel

FĂ«anorean
Reaction score
Phew! What a relief!

From what I read in that thread, it was obvious that most of the Administrative staff here are thinking on re-organizing the guilds into something else .... I still think I am right in thinking so...
But if the GoT is still to be tolerated .... Hmmm...

You know, guys, I am beginning to lose patience with the silence in this place !!!!!!! :mad:
I mean ... I can't fully understand what has happened but we' ll have to do sth. about it!

And in order to keep this thread clean from the p.o.v. of its purpose, I'm opening a respective separate thread.

All invited! :)

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
Hello.
I'm guessing that most of you don't know me.
My name is Aulë. I'm from Australia. I've never had much to do with these "guild" things. ;)

Could I please join?

Manveru

Reaction score
*scratch, scratch* i know i saw him somewhere...but...where?
Aulë said:
I'm guessing that most of you don't know me.
still playing oracles (that "stingy" tongue of mine), periaurian? ;)

our "board of directors" is... how to say it... not in shape...

but...

welcome! (if i may welcome you...well, who'll stop me after all, that wraith? there's no one around much...)

Lhunithiliel

FĂ«anorean
Reaction score
Hello, Aule!

For the moment,these halls are inhabitted by flying creatures - some from the world of light and others - from the darkness :p (I'm getting dangerously addicted to this "profile"! ;) ), but all I can say is WELCOME!

All you, who come in,

FEEL WELCOME!

Walk around freely and suit yourself as at home. No guards to stop you, anyway! :p

But as

The world has changed,
I feel it in the water,
I feel it in the air....

... and in my old bones ...

I guess that if you stick around for a while, you might witness the re-birth of this place.
And this is a miracle not to be missed! :)

Creature of light, beware!!! The blood running from my lips is still fresh! :p :D

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but who - or where - is the leader of this party here?

If this is to become something like a refugium for PhiloTolkienists - crazy or no - and their foolish musings, I consider applying, hence, I'd like to learn a little more about application details and such...

Lhunithiliel

FĂ«anorean
Reaction score
Walter said:
Pardon my ignorance, but who - or where - is the leader of this party here?
Only Eru knows ....

If this is to become something like a refugium for PhiloTolkienists - crazy or no - and their foolish musings, I consider applying, hence, I'd like to learn a little more about application details and such...
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

What ?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????

Arvedui

Stargazer
Reaction score
Take it easy, Lhun...:D

oh, and by the way: he's not the only one. There is also another O-i-E'er considering whether or not to apply for GoT. (I'm still thinking. As you might have registered eaarlier, I am not quite sure if guilds are such a clever thing, after all...)

Lhunithiliel

FĂ«anorean
Reaction score
Arvedui said:
Take it easy, Lhun...:D

oh, and by the way: he's not the only one. There is also another O-i-E'er considering whether or not to apply for GoT. (I'm still thinking. As you might have registered eaarlier, I am not quite sure if guilds are such a clever thing, after all...)
Now I know for sure!

I AM walking in a dream! :p :D

Arvedui, I understand what you mean... That is why we are considering the idea of transforming the very essence of what a "guild" is... That is, the GoT may become a workshop and an active arena for all-T-related projects. These projects will be either "exported" into some respective sections, or implemented right here. There exist several, you know this well, and starting from them, with some more organizational work, the transformation can be achieved.

OF COURSE, the most important thing is the willing participation of people! :rolleyes:

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
Lhunithiliel said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

What ?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????

No guildleader hence no application details? Is that it? :confused:

Manveru

Reaction score
Walter said:
No guildleader hence no application details? Is that it? :confused:
well, Kingy's busy... now and again (real life's a bit:rolleyes: at times)

as for details: c'mon... they're on the front page of GoT (i'm sure you can find them--read read:))

if you're awaiting guildleader's welcome... hmm... it may take a little time

how about a simple gray guy's welcome instead? (i mean, if only you're set out to join;))

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
Manveru said:
well, Kingy's busy... now and again (real life's a bit:rolleyes: at times)

as for details: c'mon... they're on the front page of GoT (i'm sure you can find them--read read:))

if you're awaiting guildleader's welcome... hmm... it may take a little time

how about a simple gray guy's welcome instead? (i mean, if only you're set out to join;))
Thanks for the warm welcome, Manveru :)

I guess it's time to let the cat outta the bag. Here's what I think:

http://www.thetolkienforum.com/showthread.php?p=413195#post413195

I - for one - would be more than willing to join if I get some perspective of a prosperous future of GoT...

Manveru

Reaction score
Walter said:
Thanks for the warm welcome, Manveru :)
you're welcome (hope i didn't say anything "not in place"... well, i'm sure s.o will let me know if so :p)
Walter said:
I - for one - would be more than willing to join if I get some perspective of a prosperous future of GoT...
know what you mean... everybody abandon a sinking ship (tho i don't think GoT's sinking... it's only a little active-members-less:))

all the best and... i'm hoping you'll join (as well as some other faces--cool avatar, btw;))

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
Well, daring to step before the guildleader..;)...I give you my welcome too. :)

Lhunithiliel

FĂ«anorean
Reaction score
True!!!

Aule, Arvedui, Walt .. I on my part would love to see you around more!!!

Thoughts of a Nazgul:

More fresh souls?

Hmmm ... Yummeee!
;) :D

Arvedui

Stargazer
Reaction score
Patience, my dear.

I haven't quite made up my mind yet. You see, I can't quite overlook the fact that my time is limited (seen me lately on the TolkienWiki?), and if I should join, then it should be because I have something to contribute with.

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
Lhunithiliel said:
Thoughts of a Nazgul:

More fresh souls?

Hmmm ... Yummeee! ;) :D
Ahh, but you must remember- you have one of the Vala amongst you now. Your Nazgul powers are useless against me. ;) Perhaps I should bury you beneath a mountain? :p

Anyway, I'm glad that you're pleased about me joining. Hopefully I can justify my position by contributing towards the GoT in some way, however small that may be. I, like many of us these days, don't have as much free time as I used to. But I'll try my best.

Lhunithiliel

FĂ«anorean
Reaction score
Hehehe :D

Hey, Vala, even if you bury me, I am to survive, 'cause I am SHE-Nazgul!!! :D

Gentlemen, as for lack of free time:
Let me give you a hint of what is on my RL-agenda:

1/ A large translation project for VI customers (the money is good too ;) :p )
2/ A large International multilingual project on a book (translation + publishing) by an American writer
3/ Everyday interpreting activities with Brits coming here to buy real estates

How does it sound to you? ;) :)

To me, doing sth. T-related is my escapade, my refuge for my soul.

Thread suggestions