🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Hello folks... an offer of a free video game!

LordAshram

Reaction score
Howdy all!

Just wanted to drop by and say hi! My name is Lord Ashram, admin for the award-winning video game group The Lordz, and also a miniatures wargamer and game designer. I maintain a blog about my main hobby, namely toy soldiers, here...

http://lordashramshouseofwar.blogspot.com/

(it includes the Fellowship in miniature!)

and am a huge, huge fan of Dr. Tolkien's work. But what brings me by is something else entirely... sort of!

My old college roommate (a games designer for one of the premier games franchises in history) and I have finished putting together an alpha version of a good old-fashioned share-ware single player Middle Earth-inspired DungeonCrawl!

Dol Guldur is a scary place for a lower level mage... better stay out!

This simple video game takes about a minute to install and is absolutely free to play. Simple graphics, simple gameplay, and a PERFECT way to waste a few (dozen) hours! The game is currently in an alpha form and so naturally has some problems and bugs, but it is entirely playable, and we'd love for folks to give it a try and make suggestions for the development of the game:)

This game is set in Middle Earth and allows players to wander the realms, hacking down enemies and building up their characters. It is very much in the style of the old NetHack type of game, where you can get lost for hours just looking to find that perfect +3 morning star or spell book, but set in Middle Earth, and featuring a from-scratch game engine and thousands of customized graphics… so if you want to hunt down The Mouth of Sauron, to visit Fangorn and the ents, to wander through Moria, to kill spiders in Mirkwood, or even slaughter annoyingly sincere hobbit gardeners, you can!

Hm, an orc... clearly he serves the Lidless Eye... carve him down with the Sword of the Steward!

You can follow the link of my blog above for more info, or go directly to the forums for DungeonCrawler, where the download is hosted and all the info is expanded upon here...

http://ntwgg.proboards26.com/index.cgi?board=dungeoncrawler

Anyway... thanks much, and if I can post this announcement in a few other spots on your forum where it might get some attention (the newbie forum isn't always read by most posters on forums...) I'd really appreciate it!

Happy gaming... and watch out for the Balrog!

Following an Adventurous Took can lead to all SORTS of surprises... better have a nice supper of mushrooms before we set off!

Last edited:

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
I am a large fan of that genre of game and shall most probably try it out. I think that you have to wait for three days until you can post anyplace but here, but you'd only be allowed to toss a link to the place in this section, anyways. Merely tossing this spiel at various places around the forum would be against all kinds of evil ruleses. Spammage, sounds like. If you're here for much else, though, Yay for striking the jackpot, I type!

LordAshram

Reaction score
Ah! I can post!:D

Anyway... please do come by and check it out... we've been doing a lot of work on the game, and the next alpha will be coming along shortly, which includes new skills like enchant, (which allows you to create magical gear, if you are knowledgeable enough in the lore of magic) and skirmish (which makes it much easier to kill enemies at range!) We've also added graphics, including a diagram of the player and what gear they are wearing and health and mana bars... plus we've added maps (you can now visit Barliman in Bree, and find a ranger and four hobbits in the Prancing Pony) and new monsters and new AI and behaviors and... well, a lot:)

So please do come by and give it a look, and share whatever thoughts you might have!

Mike

Beowulf's lost son-in-law
Reaction score
#1: After installing, the game will crash on the second prompt in Windows Vista unless you "take ownership" (using a nifty little program) of all the read-only files.

#2: In the first room, there are portals to Middle-Earth and Japan. I move over them, but go nowhere. Then I can't move my character. The game doesn't crash, but I apparently can't do anything.

So, yes, I unistalled the game. I'll wait for a more stable release.

P.S: have you ever played Interplay's Lord of the Rings RPGs? I've been wanting to create the never-released third part, "The Return of the King", but not being a programmer, I want to know what good resources are out there for such a project.

LordAshram

Reaction score
Howdy!

The Vista thing I should have mentioned. Vista is a buggy, buggy program, but as you noted, you just need to RIGHT click and select run as admin and compatible with XP service pack two. Vista sucks.

As for the portals; you just need to hit SHIFT-A and you will go right through them:) The Japan part is just a partial bit... the main thing is the Middle Earth game. You will appear at the Grey Havens:)

The game certainly has some issues, but the basics should work with no problem, and a lot of folks have gotten it working. If you have an interest in giving it another try that would be great!:)

LordAshram

Reaction score

Mike

Beowulf's lost son-in-law
Reaction score
Just a thought - why not include a .rtf document with keyboard shortcuts zipped with the game? Most rogue likes do this to save on trouble.

As for Windows Vista -- it doesn't help me to learn that my operating system sucks. I already knew that. I had no choice in the matter, and I am fortunate my laptop came with the basic version even though it could support Aero, because the basic version is far less of a resource hog. That being said, I spent a while customizing Vista to run properly. quickly and to have a bunch of nifty features like an application dock / larger task bar/ preview windows / nicer icons. So, as it stands, I shan't be switching Operating Systems soon. It is quite easy to get around the problem (I suggest that anyone who has Vista should download the "Take Ownership" App so that you won't get annoying "you do not have permission to delete this file" messages), and I don't see how a workaround to get rid of even such a tiny nuisance isn't possible.

Last edited:

LordAshram

Reaction score
Hey!

Sorry, wasn't trying to make you feel bad... to be honest, the other guy involved in this project (the primary coder actually) is a Microsoft guy who, at one time, worked on Vista... I don't use it, I just echo what he says!:) Anyway, glad you knew about the way to get it running... and if you ever want to give the game another chance, please do!:) It is very much an alpha, a completely from-fresh game coded almost entirely by a single guy, but generally runs pretty smoothly... and any game where you can wander Middle Earth (and feel that old-fashioned elation at finding a +2 Wooden Shield!) is a winner if it is free:)

LordAshram

Reaction score
We are happy to announce that the newest version of DungeonCrawler (hereafter called A2) is out!

A2 features a TON of new material, including...

*Tons of new AI code, some of which you will notice (friendly mobs now move right out of your way, cleared levels are saved) some of which you will not (enemy mobs will now aid each other in much smarter ways.)

* A visual "equipment model" that shows you your gear on your body!

* Health and mana bars for quick reference.

* Mana and healing potions.

* Color coded events, such as kills and head shots.

* New skills, including the warrior-primary skill block (great for those who use a shield,) and the thief-primary skills sneak (move around without anyone noticing you... and wearing that dark mask helps!) and skirmish (pepper them with daggers before they get too close!) as well as a new skill cost tree.

* The "enchant" ability, which allows you to enchant weapons and armor with spell books to create Firey Axes or Frozen Plate Mail... but only those with a good deal of lore need apply!

* New storekeepers, including armorers, arms mongers, alchemists, transmuters, weapon smiths, and more.

* New areas for players to purchase goods, including the cities of Esgaroth, Bree, Pelagir, and Edellhond for the side of good, and scattered Easterling caravans for the servants of the Lidless Eye.

* New armor, equipment, and map features.

* New customized maps for exploration.

* A rebuilt inventory that always keeps your equipped gear at the top.

* Added info to some clickable parts of the game.

* A kill list for each player, displayed using the k key, that shows all of the enemies your character has struck down.

* A pull down menu for game options.

* Plus plenty of fixed bugs.

So... please come wander the Iron Hills and trade with the Dwarves, or visit Thranduil's Hall, or visit Lord Imhrahil and his Swan Knights in Dol Amroth, or team up with the Black Men of Far Harad at Barad Dur and go to war!

As always, you can check the Download thread here...

http://ntwgg.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=dungeoncrawler

for the latest version.

Thanks!

LordAshram

Reaction score
All fixed, latest version is up:)

Last edited:

Thread suggestions