🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Hi Everyone!

vnocito

Reaction score
My name is Vince! I'm of British and Italian background, and live in Oakland California. I grew up largely in New Jersey with significant periods of my early childhood spent in Italy and England. I started reading Tolkien when I was in the 7th grade in School (1987). I am a lifelong student of history, folklore, archaeology, comparative religions, anthropology, the occult, ancient paganism, British and European history. I also know a good deal about Japanese culture. This being the case - my main interest in the Tolkien Forum is to explore and unravel the various threads of influence in Tolkien's writing drawn from British and Norse folklore / myth / culture. Lets talk about "Geistesgeschichte!"

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
My name is Vince! I'm of British and Italian background, and live in Oakland California. I grew up largely in New Jersey with significant periods of my early childhood spent in Italy and England. I started reading Tolkien when I was in the 7th grade in School (1987). I am a lifelong student of history, folklore, archaeology, comparative religions, anthropology, the occult, ancient paganism, British and European history. I also know a good deal about Japanese culture. This being the case - my main interest in the Tolkien Forum is to explore and unravel the various threads of influence in Tolkien's writing drawn from British and Norse folklore / myth / culture. Lets talk about "Geistesgeschichte!"
Welcome vnocito! I replied to you "Tom Bombadil" post before looking at your "New Members" post here. Which is the order in which you yourself posted (yes, I have due to my "productive" life something of the bureaucrat in me :rolleyes: )

You mention "British" here. By JRRT's terminology, that would possibly have meant "Celtic". JRRT definitely felt himself to be "Anglo-Saxon" (from his mother's side, mainly).

And then you mention "Geistesgeschichte". I have been a dual native speaker of English and German for my entire life. But I would still be unable to arrive at a for me useful definition of that term. What do you mean by that?

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
"Ghost stories"?
"Spirit history"?
"Geist" is one of those German words with two major definitions, "mind" and "spirit".
My hunch for "Geistesgeschichte" would rather go towards "mental" or "intellectual", "Ghost stories" would be termed "Geistergeschichte(n)".

Thread suggestions